02 Rx300 4wd Brakes And Suspension ?

Volcano29

Hello everyone, Im in the market for purhcasing new brake rotors and pads and front/rear struts. My question is that OEM parts are expensive (if they are worth it, I will go with them instead), is there any other rotors (blanks) in the market that are just as good. I dont want the rotors too warp quickly. Secondly, what kind of brake pads would you guys recommend (low dust and noise but good stopping power).

Now to this important question, looking through EBay, ive found a couple of stores selling KYB GR2 struts for great prices. Has anyone ever tried them, hows the ride quality compared to OEM struts? Are they worth it or should I stick with OEM parts.

Thanks to everyone who helps and contributes to my thread.

-Pablo

Hello everyone, Im in the market for purhcasing new brake rotors and pads and front/rear struts. My question is that OEM parts are expensive (if they are worth it, I will go with them instead), is there any other rotors (blanks) in the market that are just as good. I dont want the rotors too warp quickly. Secondly, what kind of brake pads would you guys recommend (low dust and noise but good stopping power).

Now to this important question, looking through EBay, ive found a couple of stores selling KYB GR2 struts for great prices. Has anyone ever tried them, hows the ride quality compared to OEM struts? Are they worth it or should I stick with OEM parts.

-Pablo

What is your reasoning for replacing the front/rear struts?

And for that matter what about the rotors.

I've just installed, probably the sixth set, of brake pads on my 95 LS400, 210,000 miles, and the rotors have never been replace or turned.

3rd set on my 01 AWD RX300, approaching 70,000 miles, and with original rotors and...struts.

When I buy brake pads I do not want the ones with a wear warranty and I can "live" with dust and even noise in favor of stopping power. In reality brake pad noise is generally easily solved by chamferring the pad edges, metal shims, liquid rubber application, and proper brake sliding surface (NOT pad/rotor) lubrication.

-Pablo

What is your reasoning for replacing the front/rear struts?

And for that matter what about the rotors.

I've just installed, probably the sixth set, of brake pads on my 95 LS400, 210,000 miles, and the rotors have never been replace or turned.

3rd set on my 01 AWD RX300, approaching 70,000 miles, and with original rotors and...struts.

When I buy brake pads I do not want the ones with a wear warranty and I can "live" with dust and even noise in favor of stopping power. In reality brake pad noise is generally easily solved by chamferring the pad edges, metal shims, liquid rubber application, and proper brake sliding surface (NOT pad/rotor) lubrication.

Thanks for the reply, as for the struts. I bought an 02 rx300 with 50k miles 2 years ago. Since then I have put around 30k miles and am currently sitting at 82k miles. The suspension has been sounding going over bumps/potholes. I know for sure its not the strut mounts since I have already replaced them once before. I would feel more confortable spending some money and swapping to a new suspension. I have heard the KYB are a bit stiffer than OEM but Im thinking I have never driven a RX with "0" miles so Im assuming the KYB should feel smoother than how my car felt previously.

As for the rotors, they are warped. When I bought the car, they were already warped from the previous owner. So I decided to resurface the rotors and replace the pads. That was a quick fix but I dont agree with cutting them. So Im looking to replace them. Im almost certain that I am going with Brembo blanks front and rear and Im not decided on the pads. Thats why Im asking for any recommendations.

Thanks

Pablo

bump..

I have a '99 RX300, AWD. At +/-62,000 m., the front was making noise over bumps and potholes. The front struts were replaced. Shortly after, the noise(s) returned. After much goodwill and testing over several weeks, the following were investigated: 1. the windshield wiper 'pan' which is not always well 'set' and it is said it can distort/bong in certain stress (bump) situations. Did not solve the problem. 2. Then the Lexus technician did something he called 'pre-tensioning' the front struts (which appears to be basically setting them so there is less 'play when extended). After a couple of tries, the noise disappeared. This is a cheap fix, but it worked. Worth a try, either 1. or 2. or both. Good luck! pauljcl.