2004 Lexus Ls 430, Old Man's Car?

lexus Pilot

Well, here I am talking about a 2004 LS 430 I've purchased last week. This all started, ( the purchasing process), the week before when I've decided that I was tired of seeing dust accumulate on my 2002 SC 430 in the garage. It had only 12,000 miles on it over a 2 year period!! Don't get me wrong, it was a very good car with out any problems. It's just hard to do any traveling in it with the rest of the family. So, my task was set forth in front of me.

Having all kinds of sporty cars all my driving life, '70 Porsche 914-6, '90 Honda Prelude, '94 Toyota Twin Turbo Supra, '91 Porsche 911 Carrera 2, '94 Dodge Viper, 2000 Honda S-2000 and lastly my 2002 Lexus SC 430, and all kinds of "performance 4-doored cars" what do I exchange for????

My first thought, I need a 4 doored car more than a 2 seater or a 2 seater without a real backseat. I was really leaning to the German vehicles. I like the German handling characteristics in their automobiles. :cheers: But, no one has the fit and finish as the Japanese do.. :geek: My car, I thought I was going to trade for, was a BMW M-5. Than, I stumbled upon this article on the web:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=7359

HMMMM...... Wow! Lexus gets 1st Place!!

Now I started to look more closely at the LS430.. Wait a minute! It's an old man's car, right!?? Well, I see that they redesigned the car a little with dual exhauts and a sport suspension with 18 inch wheels!! Top it off with a 0-60 in 5.9 secs, due to a new six-speed transmission which makes it faster than my 2002 SC 430.

So, I get one as simple as that. It's a great performance/luxury car that would make any one proud!! My only complaint was the 245/45/18 Bridgestone Summer tires on it. The tires made it feel as rough as a Corvette!! I changed those tires for a set of Michelin Pilot A/S tires and Viola an Ultrasmooth quiet serious performer!!! Stock Bridgestone tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...el=Turanza+ER30

replaced to Michelin tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...lot+Sport+A%2FS

Lexus wake-up and replace all your Bridgestone tires to the Michelins. It makes All the difference in the world!! It rides like the way it was made for, but with better handling characteristics..

So, is the 2004 Lexus LS 430 an " Old Man's Car"?? Maybe, or I'm a 39 year-old who has finally wisened up ahead of my years!!! It's not just for the 50-55 year old men anymore....

:D

B) Todd, I don't think I'll ever get another Viper, again. It looks nice sitting there, it just doesn't perform unless you keep in a straight line. It might have changed for the newer ones?? The Honda S2000 was quite frankly, a lot more fun to drive, like driving a mini F1 car. Anyway, I take my true speed fixes out in flying private airplanes instead. That's probably one of of the reasons I like the LS 430 so much. It reminds of being in a refined Beechcraft Starship Cockpit. Everything has a purpose.

http://www.bobscherer.com/Pages/Starship.htm

I don't think of the LS430 as a "old man's", car at all. Perhaps a rich mans car but not old. I believe the offical car of old people is the State Car of Florida, the Grand Marquis. All the old people around here cruise the big Marquis around. Not my kind of car although I did see a Mecury Maurader the other day and it looked (and sounded) bad to the bone. All black and throaty if you like that kind of thing. Personally, I'd opt for the Lexus if money was not a concern. I'm going to buy some property in North Carolina instead of a car though. My 14 year old 90 is still about perfect for now.

VBdenny,

Good luck on your purchase in NC. I live in the Northeastern section of Tenn. When I say "Old Man's Car" it's because my son 13 year old thought it looks like one along with my 65 year old dad and my 36 year old brother-in-law. The styling doesn't give you "Gotta Have It!" attitude like the Bimmer. But, once you drive it, with the correct tires and sport suspension, it changes your tune fast. It's funny, when I picked up the car with my 13 year old he commented how bumpy it was compared to the SC 430. That was saying a lot, because my SC430 had 19 " wheels on it. After, I changed the tires out for the Michelins he stated that it feels like a Hovercraft riding on air!!

LOL! When I bought my '04 LS430 a couple of co-workers looked at me and asked "why are you driving an old man's car?". I responded, "Let me give you a ride in this ol' man's car", and I did. The car is a '04 LS430 w/ Euro tuned suspension. I took them to a very twisty road (25 mph curves) and traveled it in style doing 60+ mph :o Needless to say, they no longer call it an old man's car. I have owned mostly BWM's and Mercedes for the last 10 years and I very impressed with the LS430, so far.

LexusPilot, did your dealer swap out your tires or did you sell the tires or trade them in? Just curious, I too would like a set of high-performance tire that were all season due to crappy winter weather here in the mid-west. (BTW, I also fly small planes and get most of my need for speed from them :D )

xBMW,

I bought the Michelins and kept the bridgestone's for later this summer. I already tried the Michelins on snow and ice here yesterday. They worked awesome. They are 10X the tire than those factory Bridgestones!!! So Quiet and smoother ride.. My buddy who owns a 2001 BMW M5 tested my car today on the same kind of situation you did. He was thoroughly impressed compared to his Bimmer. He said he's going to trade his Bimmer for same car with tires that I have. Go figure. Who would have thought if you fitted the '04 LS 430 with the right stuff that it would smoke the competition??!!! I would have never until now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B)

LexusPilot, I am approaching 50 so maybe I belong in the old man's club :D . I was flying a friends Warrior before I tore up my shoulder (rotator cuff) and then wrist, all done playing golf. I hope to be recovered enough come spring to start flying again. I had been looking at buying a Cirius but all the crashes kind of spooked me. I've been enjoying flying my LS430 at the moment :lol:

B) Todd, I don't think I'll ever get another Viper, again. It looks nice sitting there, it just doesn't perform unless you keep in a straight line. It might have changed for the newer ones?? The Honda S2000 was quite frankly, a lot more fun to drive, like driving a mini F1 car. Anyway, I take my true speed fixes out in flying private airplanes instead. That's probably one of of the reasons I like the LS 430 so much. It reminds of being in a refined Beechcraft Starship Cockpit. Everything has a purpose.

http://www.bobscherer.com/Pages/Starship.htm

Very cool plane... B) I would love to get a ride in that. I'm a speed junkie...That's why I have a sportbike.

xBMWMan,

I play golf a lot as well. I wanted a Cirrus SR-22 as well. It spooked me too with all the accidents with it. I'll stick with my Cessna 182 with a Texas Skyways mod. 300 horse for now. I also, have a 150-150 for doing the the pattern with a Garmin 430. :rolleyes: It still amazes me how much the sport suspension has made the '04 LS 430 a Performance Monster. Wow!!

The Lexus an old mans car? Only to someone who feels high quality, a silent ride with plenty of power and features at an undercutting price is something only old men enjoy. My dad just got an 04 and I've driven it several times, its a fantastic car. Nothing "old manish" about it., Its not some wallowing Lincoln or Caddy, its a highline luxury car. In a few years (maybe 2006) when I'm in a better position to afford one I'll trade up, and I'm only 22.

I have to say that I am really happy to see this thread. I have been a fan of Lexus for about the last 8 years, having owned three LS400s and a 2001 LS430. I switched to driving the Mercedes S in 2000 and let my wife drive the Lexus due to the fact that the drive wasn't what I wanted and I wanted to feel the road a little more. I just recently test drove new LS430 and ordered it. I am hoping for it to be in this week. I was still a little concerned about whether I would miss the german drive and have the mushy feel, but I will sleep better tonight. I am really looking forward to some of the technological integration. I bought a LX470 last may on the assumption from Lexus corporate that the bluetooth would work on their phone system. To their credit they did return my money for the phone, but I was still extremely disappointed in the technology from Lexus. I hear it is working now.

BTW, I am a pilot as well, but even with turbines I can't do 0 to 60 in 5.9 seconds.

-jt

Ouch,,,

The turbine thing hurt me... LOL! But, when the turbines warm up, there's no catching ya. I bet, you still miss the feel of flying a real prop plane. All my friends who r jet jockeys still luv the props. You won't be disappointed with the '04 with the sport suspension and 18 wheels, just put on the the Michelin Pilot A/S's as soon as you get it. Viola.. Enjoy....

B)

jtalley, I am using the SE T610 cell phone w/bluetooth in my LS430 and it works fine. I can only upload one address at a time but others insist it will upload all of them plus keep them sync'd - I have not figured out how to do it, yet! I too enjoy the integration of the electronics, esp. the Smart Access. Next up, XM radio - once my dealer has installed one, he wants me to be the first , only problem, they would be billing me per hour to figure out how to install it - I'll wait.

You will enjoy the ride - I certainly have so far.

What area are you in? My dad had the XM installed before he picked the car up. No idea what they charged.

He also bought a Sony phone to use with the Bluetooth. He wasn't pleased with that as he had to start paying his own bill (his company has a deal with Sprint) but he figured it was worthwhile to fully exploit the technology of the car.

You may be able to on the owners portion of www.lexus.com

Is that the new Palm PDA/phone combo? If it has Bluetooth then it should be compatible with the system. Bluetooth is completely compatible. I'm not sure if that phone has it though...

Very few phones do right now. And at least here they're all either AT&T or T Mobile. I believe thats a Verizon phone (correct me if I'm wrong)