Oh Well

BigBuggie

Well, I went to go and take her for a spin to Dunkin D's this morning and had to turn the key 3 times, The first 2 times I got nothing. As far as I know this is a dying starter indicator. So, rather than plop down more $$ this soon I figured me and my buddy can give it a go, Until I heard about what a pain it is on this particular automobile.

Is there a possibility of something other than the starter going? It has not done it again all day today.

Thanks, Pete

Well, I went to go and take her for a spin to Dunkin D's this morning and had to turn the key 3 times, The first 2 times I got nothing. As far as I know this is a dying starter indicator. So, rather than plop down more $$ this soon I figured me and my buddy can give it a go, Until I heard about what a pain it is on this particular automobile.

Is there a possibility of something other than the starter going? It has not done it again all day today.

Thanks, Pete

Double check all the battery terminals, And the neg. battery cable to the body, The terminals should be cleaned well and they have to be tight. Use a wire brush or sand paper. I went through a similar ordeal w/ my GS a few years back and it was the battery terminal contacts.

Thanks, Pete

Nothing at all? No click, no nothing? The LS will do that if you're not in park, or if it thinks its not in park....dirty switch maybe.

If the dash lights up, and you twist to start and nothing happens, that'd be my guess.

Thanks, Pete

Nothing at all? No click, no nothing? The LS will do that if you're not in park, or if it thinks its not in park....dirty switch maybe.

If the dash lights up, and you twist to start and nothing happens, that'd be my guess.

Assuming you had a STRONG start on the third try I would remove both battery post connections, clean and burnish the posts and connections.

Yes sir. Start is always strong. In fact it never cranks for more than a second. Not even when cold.

Well, let me get out there and get a wire brush on those terminals.

Thanks a mill guys.

Pete

For some reason this battery post corrosion issue seems to pop up as winter wanes. I keep a specialty battery post/connector cleaner/wire brush in my tool chest.

Hi:

I you want faster starts and have not replaced your fuel filter do so at this time. Also clean all your spark plug cables and ignition tips and if you have not replaced your rotors maybe a good time to do so. Then it also could be that you do not want to crank the car the extra two seconds and you abort the start just before it began, it happened to me a lot.

CPR

Thanks, Pete

Double check all the battery terminals, And the neg. battery cable to the body, The terminals should be cleaned well and they have to be tight. Use a wire brush or sand paper. I went through a similar ordeal w/ my GS a few years back and it was the battery terminal contacts.

I concur with Mr. Fish - After 30 years of driving, I believe you have a battery connection problem, NOT a starter problem.