Oil Capacity

This is the dumbest question I think I've ever had to ask. I have a 1992 sc400. I recently had the engine replaced with a low mileage one. Today I went to change my oil for the first time since having it back and it took 6 qt of oil to read full on the dipstick. This seems like too much to me? I drove it for a short amount of time and didn't notice anything weird about it or anything. Would too much oil harm the engine?

This is the dumbest question I think I've ever had to ask. I have a 1992 sc400. I recently had the engine replaced with a low mileage one. Today I went to change my oil for the first time since having it back and it took 6 qt of oil to read full on the dipstick. This seems like too much to me? I drove it for a short amount of time and didn't notice anything weird about it or anything. Would too much oil harm the engine?

Is that with a new filter ? If my memory serves me right the fill is 5.7 qts. You should be alright as long as it is within the low and full mark on the dipstick.

Is that with a new filter ? If my memory serves me right the fill is 5.7 qts. You should be alright as long as it is within the low and full mark on the dipstick.

Yes that is with new filter as well, so the capacities I have read do not include filter?

Yes that is with new filter as well, so the capacities I have read do not include filter?

What capacities have you read ? Where did you get the info ?

The book at o'reillys said 4.8qt, and just from past experience I have always used 5.5 so 6 seems extreme to me.

The book at o'reillys said 4.8qt, and just from past experience I have always used 5.5 so 6 seems extreme to me.

Go by the dipstick and you will be good. :cheers:

5 quarts is the norm... Maybe your oil was bone dry, in that case it may take 6...

As long as the oil dip stick reads full and not over you are good...Too much oil could blow seals and cause problems...It is not good... It's better to have a little less oil then too much oil...

Transmission is the same...

5 quarts is the norm... Maybe your oil was bone dry, in that case it may take 6...

As long as the oil dip stick reads full and not over you are good...Too much oil could blow seals and cause problems...It is not good... It's better to have a little less oil then too much oil...

Transmission is the same...

Thanks for the help and info everyone now I can happily go about my day without worry :)