Check Engine And Vsc Lights Came On Simultaneously

Gary.D

I have an '01 RX300 purchased new and it has outstanding maintenance records. It has 95k miles. My wife was driving it and she said the check engine and VSC lights suddenly appeared at the same time. The owners manual doesn't say much except bring to Lexus dealer immediately. I took the vehicle for a drive and everything seems to be working just fine.

So I need some help understanding what I'm in for when I bring the vehicle for service? What do these lights represent? Thank you in advance.

Go to your local Autozone store and get them to read the codes for you, Once we have the codes we can possibly help you figure it out.

The VSC is simply a default condition that arises anytime you have a CEL.

The CEL may be the result of a poor refueling procedure. If the gas cap is removed and no fuel is added the emissions ECU assumes a vapor leak. That can also happen if the gas cap is not tightened fully, or is left off and the engine is started and run for a period of time.

If the problem is/was the gas cap and it is corrected the CEL will automatically cancel with a few "drive cycles".

I have an '01 RX300 purchased new and it has outstanding maintenance records. It has 95k miles. My wife was driving it and she said the check engine and VSC lights suddenly appeared at the same time. The owners manual doesn't say much except bring to Lexus dealer immediately. I took the vehicle for a drive and everything seems to be working just fine.

So I need some help understanding what I'm in for when I bring the vehicle for service? What do these lights represent? Thank you in advance.

I had same problem just 3 week ago on my 2001 RX300 at 98K mile. I bought OBD scan code, $89.00 at Amazon.com with free shipping now, and scan the trouble code. I don't remember the code, however, it shows me that I have air fuel ratio A/F sensor malfunction. Ordered one from Rockauto.com, $157.00 then got local garage to replace for $40. Total cost was around $200.00. This is better than the quote from Lexus dealer $650.00. Make sure you order sensor from Denso which is Toyota / Lexus OEM, from Bosh or other will not work properly.

There are 3 sensors in RX300, 2 A/F sensor one is in front of engine and one is in back fire wall, and one O2 sensor located after manifolded. These A/F sensors are last about 100K mile.

I have some pictures or if you need more help, email me at simba2k@yahoo.com. Good luck.

post-19713-1202833824_thumb.jpg

post-19713-1202834145_thumb.jpg

post-19713-1202834165_thumb.jpg

post-19713-1202834171_thumb.jpg

post-19713-1202834191_thumb.jpg

post-19713-1202834209_thumb.jpg

I had same problem just 3 week ago on my 2001 RX300 at 98K mile. I bought OBD scan code, $89.00 at Amazon.com with free shipping now, and scan the trouble code. I don't remember the code, however, it shows me that I have air fuel ratio A/F sensor malfunction. Ordered one from Rockauto.com, $157.00 then got local garage to replace for $40. Total cost was around $200.00. This is better than the quote from Lexus dealer $650.00. Make sure you order sensor from Denso which is Toyota / Lexus OEM, from Bosh or other will not work properly.

There are 3 sensors in RX300, 2 A/F sensor one is in front of engine and one is in back fire wall, and one O2 sensor located after manifolded. These A/F sensors are last about 100K mile.

I have some pictures or if you need more help, email me at simba2k@yahoo.com. Good luck.

The A/F oxygen sensor code may have simply meant the intake air filter was too dirty/clogged, so I hope that got changed out too...??

Or a MAF/IAT sensor can result in a A/F oxygen sensor code.

Why do we tend to always KILL the messenger rather that acting on the message...??