Cracking Noise From The Central Console Are

UPDATE:

The following areas has been fixed:

1. Center stack was removed. Trim around the displays (non-nav) was removed. Everywhere plastic touched plastic received a "felting".

2. Put felt under the wood console trim piece where it sits on top of the console. Also put felt on console are where 2 silver trim pieces meet console.

4. Put felt on the the 2 silver trim pieces under the radio area on the console.

5. I removed the trim around the speedo and felted.

6. Drivers side vent removed and felted.

7. Put felt where the Passenger side pillar front seatbelt adjuster is (felt reduced excessive play in the adjuster.

So far, the car is QUIET. The crackling due to hot temperatures around the center stack is gone as well as the creaking by the speedo. This is how the car should have been from the factory.

I can say I'm happy with the car now that it's quiet, but very doubtful I'd buy another Lexus.

Linn, as far as tire noise is concerned, there are several tires that are much quieter than stocks not to mention better traction. I was actually trying to find an IS250 in SoCal with the stock 17" in SoCal but all had the 18" Staggered setup.

I've had my '07 IS 250 in on at least 8 occasions for the numerous noises. I've had the TSIB's done on the center speaker, new dash clips as well as insulating the center stack. The noises are better but far from what I expect from a Lexus.

I just received a shipment from Sutherland Felt in MI who produces and supplies felt to the manufacturers with automotive grade pressure sensative adhesive. I got .35mm, .5mm, 1mm and 2mm thicknesses. They sell it by the yard at a reasonable price, between $10 - $20 per yard by 60".

My plan of attack is to put felt between the plastic pieces that make up the center stack. I've had to do this before in a 2002 Acura TL and when I was done you could head a fly breathe.

Fo owners of a non-nav IS, the loud "POP" from the center seems to be coming from the actual center vents and the visible trim piece.

Lexus should change their tag-line to be: "Lexus, the Pursuit of Mediocrity"

Oh - I feel with you :D Beside these noises, I've got the original 17"-Dunlop Tires on my IS250. They are really horrible loud on some surfaces. (especially rumple noise etc.)

linn

I've noticed that after nice hot day,inside the car is 140F I have a thermometer in my vent, I turn on the A/C and after about 15 min. I get the loud snap, crackle, pop from the center console.

I thought it was a normal thing since all the plastic is contracting from the cold air. It does'nt do it all the time but it scares the hell out of me every time it does, surprises me. I'm going to try

the felt thing on the console to see if it goes away.

Thanks RSMDR.

Usually after I drove my IS250(07) for 10-15 min, i seem to hear some cracking and clicking noise coming from the central console area whenever i drove pass a "little bumpy" road. Wierd thing is that it didn't happen everytime... sometime it happened and sometime it didn't.

it seemed to becom better when I put some pressure and press on the control panel area, and it had never happen within the first 10 minutes of driving...but once it sounded, it never went away until i turned off my car and drove the other day...

Does anyone else experienced similar thing?

Hi there,

I too have [had] the infamous "snap, crackle, pop" issue with my console. My dealer has acknowledged that it is a design flaw with the car. He explained that the pins/clips holding down the console are made of plastic, and with the change in temperature, mild or extreme, they expand and contract and make that noise. I have had the console taken out and serviced 3 times. The noise is not completely gone, but is less frequent for sure. I think one of the other responses said keep making them fix it until it goes away...I would have to say that is the best advice as I was also told by the Lexus service manager the exact same thing.