Cracking Noise From The Central Console Are

Usually after I drove my IS250(07) for 10-15 min, i seem to hear some cracking and clicking noise coming from the central console area whenever i drove pass a "little bumpy" road. Wierd thing is that it didn't happen everytime... sometime it happened and sometime it didn't.

it seemed to becom better when I put some pressure and press on the control panel area, and it had never happen within the first 10 minutes of driving...but once it sounded, it never went away until i turned off my car and drove the other day...

Does anyone else experienced similar thing?

Usually after I drove my IS250(07) for 10-15 min, i seem to hear some cracking and clicking noise coming from the central console area whenever i drove pass a "little bumpy" road. Wierd thing is that it didn't happen everytime... sometime it happened and sometime it didn't.

it seemed to becom better when I put some pressure and press on the control panel area, and it had never happen within the first 10 minutes of driving...but once it sounded, it never went away until i turned off my car and drove the other day...

Could be a couple of things. One is known as the "Dashboard Rattle" although the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this warranty fix is for the 06 (search this forum) - I had it done on my 07 at no charge. Second area is the surround around the NAV and other areas. I think it's called the "bezel". The snap. crakle. pops and rattles are common in the car. But the fix generally is Felt Tape to cushion the noises. It can be frustrating, but Ihave had some successes with the dealer on these issues. They try hard to fix - but some are design problems indicative of late model Lexus vehicles - apparently such noise were few and far between years ago in the Lexus and now they are all too common.

I think the popping thread is related to the center console also ... I've been able to recreate this by just pushing on the bezel at times and hearing the pop. I wish LExus would get their heads out of their A55 and release a TSB so the dealers aren't running around trying anything. So far i've had the rattle tsb done twice, my amp swapped out because they said it was shorting and my the windshield molding replaced all with no luck at all.

There is a TSB for it that the dealer knows about. It needs a dampening kit that they put on in the dealership. I had it in mine. took about a week for them to get it fixed. had to tear the whole thing off the car to install. no problems now on it

Hey there!

I can sympathize with your problem. I just got my car back today for the at exact problem. Although, this is the second time it has been in for the same thing. This time though, Lexus re-insulated the entire dashboard, console and all of the doors. The cracking sounds seems to be gone but, only time will tell.

One other you might want to be aware of is the that glove box apparently can allow items to fall behind it and into the air-door of the ventilation system. I only know this because a CD that was in the glove box escaped through the aforementioned air-door. It became lodged and susequently shredded by the blower fan blade. The only clue to what had happened was when I started the car, the sound of a baseball card caught your bike spokes could be heard immediately upon startup. They claimed to have fixed this problem and even gave me the chopped up CD. However, I started the car this evening and there it was again. So tomorrow, its back to Rallye.

On a side note...

If you have not done so already, there is bulletin out for Lexus to replace the brake pads.

Ok--I think I found the source of my crackling.

On the inside part of the hood covering the guages, there are 2 screws. When I press the screw head on the right part of the hood in with my thumb, THAT is where the noise is coming from. Of course, I'm not sure how it would be fixed.

I do the exact same thing (press the left screw) and the noise goes away. I can even squeeze from inside the gauge cluster and outside the gauge cluster, and the noise will go away.

Someone PLEASE tell me what to tell the dealer to fix this noise... I can't live with it much longer.

Also, my seat is squeaking when you take turns and/or get out and in. What do you guys think it could be?

Thanks

Drew

07 IS 250

Ok--I think I found the source of my crackling.

On the inside part of the hood covering the guages, there are 2 screws. When I press the screw head on the right part of the hood in with my thumb, THAT is where the noise is coming from. Of course, I'm not sure how it would be fixed.

Oh I had that problem. I actually could squeeze the area between thumb and forefinger and a buzz would occurthis happened for me after the dashboard TSB was done. I marked up the area with blue painters tape "PUSH HERE" , what they do in service is use felt tape and reassemble. The funny thing was on the IS loaner they gave me with 750 miles on it - it did the same thing. To date I have done all TSB's related to buzzing and rattle... that's good news the bad is that something always comes back, just give it 3000 miles. Now it's wind noise on the passenger side and the moon roof still buzzes again.. Love the look of the car -- but it's snap, crackle and pops are ridculous and really diminish my enjoyment of the car. Love the dealership and the are very helpful. But I can not deal with going back and forth - I have to work for a living - so I just wait till the next 5 K service.

I do the exact same thing (press the left screw) and the noise goes away. I can even squeeze from inside the gauge cluster and outside the gauge cluster, and the noise will go away.

Someone PLEASE tell me what to tell the dealer to fix this noise... I can't live with it much longer.

Also, my seat is squeaking when you take turns and/or get out and in. What do you guys think it could be?

Thanks

Drew

07 IS 250

Theres a TSB for the seat. Check the Sticky Threads up above. I had it done a month ago, and no seat squeaks anymore.

Keep making them do it till they get it right.

I think you are correct Barkat. But this can take a substantial amount of your time and energy and will undoubtably lead to just more of the same. I dealer I go to does a great job. I have been dealing with issues (albeit minor) since maybe 3,000 miles. It is the game of "Wacka Mole", once one thing gets settled another pops up. Unfortunately the dealer is trying to make the best of a flawed product. They actually encourage me to come back if I am unsatisfied. Things do get silenced down for a bit , but within the next 3000 miles another noise rears its head.

I know this had been argued back and forth, and don't get me wrong I think its a great looking design, but the fact is (by reading the threads on this very forum) that these late model LEXUS products (at least the interior combination of materials) are poorly selected and assembled. And with this third generation very little has changed in the assembly or factory fixing of TSB items from earlier generations. Its really sad as I think this is the best looking car on the road.

• 3 weeks later...

This cabin rattle is driving me crazy, but I'm glad to hear I didn't just get a lemon and that Lexus is aware of this. I get all the dash rattle you guys are talking about, and sometimes I get it from the rear dash as well. Makes me want to sell the car - I shouldn't have to deal with this from a lexus.

But my stupid question is: is this a warranted fix? I have an '06 IS350.

Thanks.

This cabin rattle is driving me crazy, but I'm glad to hear I didn't just get a lemon and that Lexus is aware of this. I get all the dash rattle you guys are talking about, and sometimes I get it from the rear dash as well. Makes me want to sell the car - I shouldn't have to deal with this from a lexus.

But my stupid question is: is this a warranted fix? I have an '06 IS350.

Thanks.

Yes it's covered under your bumper to bumper warranty.

What drives me cazrier is Lexus did not fix it in the newer models, I mean 07 and 08. So, this speaks volume.

The other day my dealer service manager loaned me an 08 RX Hybrid with 8k miles and it's backseat was rattling like 1945 USSR military truck.

I guess the new trend is you don't have to be perfect, sell, sell, sell. Another example is Microsoft. However, I wonder how could Lexus make money from this IS if in 4 year-while the car under warranty has to be in service once a month?

• 3 weeks later...

I think you are correct Barkat. But this can take a substantial amount of your time and energy and will undoubtably lead to just more of the same. I dealer I go to does a great job. I have been dealing with issues (albeit minor) since maybe 3,000 miles. It is the game of "Wacka Mole", once one thing gets settled another pops up. Unfortunately the dealer is trying to make the best of a flawed product. They actually encourage me to come back if I am unsatisfied. Things do get silenced down for a bit , but within the next 3000 miles another noise rears its head.

I know this had been argued back and forth, and don't get me wrong I think its a great looking design, but the fact is (by reading the threads on this very forum) that these late model LEXUS products (at least the interior combination of materials) are poorly selected and assembled. And with this third generation very little has changed in the assembly or factory fixing of TSB items from earlier generations. Its really sad as I think this is the best looking car on the road.

are there the same isues on the other lexus models? i wonder if overall the elxus quality is slipping and/or they are chossing cheaper materials. or maybe its just the IS...

are there the same isues on the other lexus models? i wonder if overall the elxus quality is slipping and/or they are chossing cheaper materials. or maybe its just the IS...

These issues are common amongst the entire line of vehicles according to my local LEXUS service. They said it is within the last 5 years they are spending a tremendous amount of time chasing rattles...

• 4 weeks later...

I had the dashboard rattle in my '07 IS350. Took it into Lexus of Watertown (MA) who said they'd never heard of this problem (I hadn't been checking this site), but they fixed it under warranty. On the way home I found the dashboard was fixed but I had a brand new rattle, this time a sort of metallic sound which seemed to be coming from the steering wheel assembly. Took it to Lexus of Northborough who found that the problem was the knee panel under the steering wheel. I guess the Watertown crew took that apart and didn't get back together properly.

Glad it's fixed but disappointed in Lexus quality.

Motoracer, this is why I don't want them taking apart my dash. I did it on the last car, and I don't remember any problems with it, but I'm concerned taking apart the dash could lead to other issues.......

I did, however, have my dealer replace the rearview mirror, which is rattling and vibrating........

• 1 month later...

I've had my '07 IS 250 in on at least 8 occasions for the numerous noises. I've had the TSIB's done on the center speaker, new dash clips as well as insulating the center stack. The noises are better but far from what I expect from a Lexus.

I just received a shipment from Sutherland Felt in MI who produces and supplies felt to the manufacturers with automotive grade pressure sensative adhesive. I got .35mm, .5mm, 1mm and 2mm thicknesses. They sell it by the yard at a reasonable price, between $10 - $20 per yard by 60".

My plan of attack is to put felt between the plastic pieces that make up the center stack. I've had to do this before in a 2002 Acura TL and when I was done you could head a fly breathe.

Fo owners of a non-nav IS, the loud "POP" from the center seems to be coming from the actual center vents and the visible trim piece.

Lexus should change their tag-line to be: "Lexus, the Pursuit of Mediocrity"

I've had my '07 IS 250 in on at least 8 occasions for the numerous noises. I've had the TSIB's done on the center speaker, new dash clips as well as insulating the center stack. The noises are better but far from what I expect from a Lexus.

I just received a shipment from Sutherland Felt in MI who produces and supplies felt to the manufacturers with automotive grade pressure sensative adhesive. I got .35mm, .5mm, 1mm and 2mm thicknesses. They sell it by the yard at a reasonable price, between $10 - $20 per yard by 60".

My plan of attack is to put felt between the plastic pieces that make up the center stack. I've had to do this before in a 2002 Acura TL and when I was done you could head a fly breathe.

Fo owners of a non-nav IS, the loud "POP" from the center seems to be coming from the actual center vents and the visible trim piece.

Lexus should change their tag-line to be: "Lexus, the Pursuit of Mediocrity"

Oh - I feel with you :D Beside these noises, I've got the original 17"-Dunlop Tires on my IS250. They are really horrible loud on some surfaces. (especially rumple noise etc.)

linn