91 Ls400 Trunk Release Prob.

91ls400

The trunk release on my ls all of sudden stopped working. After finding my master key I was able to open the trunk, but the electric trunk release in the car continued to not function. After looking further into the problem i was able to find a wire broken in the trunk. The bars that hold the top of the trunk, the driverside bar has wires running in it. The wire exits the support and enters a bracket. There is a black wire that is broken right inside of this "bracket". The wire is in the bracket so a simple tape job wont do. I included a picture of the break in the wire. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this break.

Sorrry the picture is fuzzy, its hard to get a picture when your laying in your dark trunk!!

post-4-1070140956.jpg

hard to see the photo but maybe you could get a 'butt' wire connector in there to connect the ends of the broken wire.

You would have to use needle-nose vice grips to have enough leverage to mash the ends together.

don't know if this would even work--just an idea.

I think broken wires at the trunk hinge line are a fairly common problem. If you have one broken wire there, there is a good chance you may have other damaged wiring as well. Your picture doesn't do much good I'm afraid. Can the bracket be removed or repositioned so that you can get some slack in the wire bundle to look all the wiring over. I think you may be on the right track for your trunk unlock problem, on the 93 LS, the wire going to the unlock solenoid is a black wire.

Curt

• 3 years later...

"The Mystery of the Sudden Trunk Release Malfunction."

wow! you guys are great!

my trunk release stopped working this morning, after picking up the car from the mechanic (differnent issue)...and i was bummed.

but i scoured this website for answers and many of you pointed out the trunk lock mechanism in the glove compartment.

and....it worked!

i cant thank you enough for your expertise and experience in helping a fellow lexus owner solve "The Mystery of the Sudden Trunk Release Malfunction." I was so sure i'd need to call Scooby Doo and his Mystery Machine

or worse,

a certified lexus dealer....and his meddling kids.

i am starting life over again after a few mistakes and my 94 ES300 (274K, bought 40 days ago for $2900) is an encouraging milestone for me...so when anything goes wrong....it makes for a bad day.

i scoured this website for answers and i found them.

thanks again to all of you.

lexus rocks!

YOU rock!!!

-Pstan (the P is silent)