Engine Check Light Update Now What?

larful

Ran the official Engine code reader at dealership today, came back with bad catalytic converter

My is300 has just over 80k miles on it IM trying for warrenty replacement right now if that doesnt work.

Can I Cut the catalytic converter off weld straight pipe on and expect the engine check light to go away?

if I replace the catalytic converter will the engine check light go away?

how can I get the engine check light to go away to go awaY I reset the battery it just comes back on

its for sure a bad catalytic converter not o2 sensors P0420 thanks

post-61811-1202517078_thumb.jpg

the cats are in the header....... so no you can't cut it out.... and the light will stay on until you fix your problem or buy and install an o2 simulator.... if i was you i would use this as an excuse to get an aftermarket header which eliminates the cats all together and get a sim.... and then have better flow, more hp, and your light gone... but it's whatever you wanna do!

the cats are in the header....... so no you can't cut it out.... and the light will stay on until you fix your problem or buy and install an o2 simulator.... if i was you i would use this as an excuse to get an aftermarket header which eliminates the cats all together and get a sim.... and then have better flow, more hp, and your light gone... but it's whatever you wanna do!

do you have a link to a cheap but good performance header

with sim?? whats sim??? Im really going to make this purchase so thank you for your info on this

:whistles: :whistles:

go with a megan header!! it's good and cheap...... megan header link..... didn't take the time to see if that was the cheapest one but it's a link...... and go to o2sim and buy that as well... you will need it..... you just tap it into the wires going into your ecu.... sounds hard and scary.... but it's very easy!!!..... and that will "simulate" working o2 sensors past where the cats are supposed to be..... and will take care of the check engine light.... any other questions.... just ask?? i've done this to mine so i can tell exactly how to do it if you need help......

Megan makes a good header, and Mazzuri just dropped the price of thiers. Sims are the the process of simulating proper reads for the 02 sensors that are located in the exhaust line. You have a bank 1 and bank 2 02 sensor in the catalysts, and another sensor in the catalytic converter in the down pipe. They read exhaust temps and nox levels to make sure everything is operating correctly. It's those 02 sensors that are sending the code to the ECU which is causing the cel light on your dash. If you don't want to replace the cats or header, then you can also just sim the sensors. But eventually you will start to hear the cats rattle if they are indeed bad. 80k miles huh? and bad cats,,,,you been pumping regular grade gas in the car?

Megan makes a good header, and Mazzuri just dropped the price of thiers. Sims are the the process of simulating proper reads for the 02 sensors that are located in the exhaust line. You have a bank 1 and bank 2 02 sensor in the catalysts, and another sensor in the catalytic converter in the down pipe. They read exhaust temps and nox levels to make sure everything is operating correctly. It's those 02 sensors that are sending the code to the ECU which is causing the cel light on your dash. If you don't want to replace the cats or header, then you can also just sim the sensors. But eventually you will start to hear the cats rattle if they are indeed bad. 80k miles huh? and bad cats,,,,you been pumping regular grade gas in the car?

yea i could have said it like that.... i just didn't want to.... :P lol....

Nope just the premium fuel I just bought this car few months back, So these miles werent put on by me. so the Cats are iInside the header? so If I replace the header and just use my O2 sensors I already have ........im good right?

Depends. If you use a header that has a catalyst system in it, then yes, but that would be a Toyota OEM replacement. All the aftermarket headers are full flow and no catalysts, so you will have to sim the 02 sensors then.