New 400h Owner

As of Tuesday of this week, I am now the proud owner of a new RX400h. Had some issues and delays with delivery, but the dealer came through in the end.

Already installed the Vais SL2i to use with my iPod. Some quirks to it, but way better than using the casette adapter I used previously.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello and join the club after a bit of lurking here.

As of Tuesday of this week, I am now the proud owner of a new RX400h. Had some issues and delays with delivery, but the dealer came through in the end.

Already installed the Vais SL2i to use with my iPod. Some quirks to it, but way better than using the casette adapter I used previously.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello and join the club after a bit of lurking here.

Welcome to the club :cheers: Happy to have you aboard.

Damn, I wanted the Smoky Mica color! Non out here on the west coast a few months back.

(was looking for a 400h AWD)

Settled for Silver. But, after having it for a while I like it very much.

Gotta admit the Mica is gorgeous.

Enjoy the vehicle, it's a great toy!

/Steve

Welcome from me, Rey in L.A.. BTW everyone, how do you know if you have an AWD? I never asked and figured that all 400h were front wheel drive with an electric motor to assist the rear wheels when needed such as up hills. Please explain....I can just start a new post but .. what the heck... I'll welcome "ElGringo" and ask a question all in one shot! Rey

Welcome from me, Rey in L.A.. BTW everyone, how do you know if you have an AWD? I never asked and figured that all 400h were front wheel drive with an electric motor to assist the rear wheels when needed such as up hills. Please explain....I can just start a new post but .. what the heck... I'll welcome "ElGringo" and ask a question all in one shot! Rey

Hi Rxrey, yes, AWD is an option, & most don't have it. You either look under the car at the rear axle to tell, or I think the VIN is coded so if you know the dif ~ the coding gives it away. The AWD get a couple mpg's less ... and, what was confusing for me was terminology. FWD meant front wheel drive but since that can sometimes mean four wheel drive to some folks, that would throw me for a loop. So you either get AWD or front wheel drive (FWD). Not to hyjack the thread, but as a side note, while in stealth mode the other day, for the 1st time I floored it in reverse. Man! Those 2 electric motors can really thrust you right along!

As for the smoke mica, YES! lets have some pic's!

I saw the metalic real dark ox blood yesterday, and that too, looks sweet.

Thanks "Someone.." I must have the standard FWD as the AWD was never mentioned when buying my car nor was it offered to me. I don't know if I would need it. Would it be for off road? I never thought of our "Princessy" 400h as being an off road vehicle and don't even like to drive over a dirty road! Anyway, it's OK to "Hijack" threads since it's all just chit-chat anyway. I did look up the "smoke" color but it was a computer generated image so it would still be great to see ElGringo's car. The color looks fabulous! I have the Savannah and I do like it a lot. It's not a flashy color, it's reserved and elegant and it's really easy to keep looking sparkly and clean. Warm wishes from Rey in L.A.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks "Someone.." I must have the standard FWD as the AWD was never mentioned when buying my car nor was it offered to me. I don't know if I would need it. Would it be for off road? I never thought of our "Princessy" 400h as being an off road vehicle and don't even like to drive over a dirty road! Anyway, it's OK to "Hijack" threads since it's all just chit-chat anyway. I did look up the "smoke" color but it was a computer generated image so it would still be great to see ElGringo's car. The color looks fabulous! I have the Savannah and I do like it a lot. It's not a flashy color, it's reserved and elegant and it's really easy to keep looking sparkly and clean. Warm wishes from Rey in L.A.

You are right, in that our 400h's aint much for running up the dunes at Glamis or Pismo. And not necessary for most L.A. county driving. But on iced over roads? That little extra bit of traction, coupled with a set of 4 studded tires (illegal in many states) can be the difference between making it up a steep driveway or not. You know what they say though. The difference between a 4x4 versus a 2x4 with a positraction rear end: The 4x4 will let you get stuck 50 yards farther away. :P

El Gringo . . . nice pic's !!

The Wood Trim wasn't available in '06 and no way do I want to have to replace the steering wheel ... air bag and all. Wish we had it though.

You are right, in that our 400h's aint much for running up the dunes at Glamis or Pismo. And not necessary for most L.A. county driving. But on iced over roads? That little extra bit of traction, coupled with a set of 4 studded tires (illegal in many states) can be the difference between making it up a steep driveway or not. You know what they say though. The difference between a 4x4 versus a 2x4 with a positraction rear end: The 4x4 will let you get stuck 50 yards farther away. :P

El Gringo . . . nice pic's !!

The Wood Trim wasn't available in '06 and no way do I want to have to replace the steering wheel ... air bag and all. Wish we had it though.

I did replace the steering wheel, it was really easy for my mechanic to do. You keep your airbag, the steering wheel is separate! It makes a huge difference and when I had a loaner RX 350 I LOVED the feel of the wooden steering wheel and was mad that it wasn't offered in my '06, so I found one on eBay. It had the wood trim as well so I got the aftermarket kit, even though it's not like the factory trim, it actually looks great. I bought two sets so that I did it in two tones, dark wood and light wood, like a chessboard, and it looks amazing! I also found the wood shifter to top it all off. Rey

I did replace the steering wheel, it was really easy for my mechanic to do. You keep your airbag, the steering wheel is separate! It makes a huge difference and when I had a loaner RX 350 I LOVED the feel of the wooden steering wheel and was mad that it wasn't offered in my '06, so I found one on eBay. It had the wood trim as well so I got the aftermarket kit, even though it's not like the factory trim, it actually looks great. I bought two sets so that I did it in two tones, dark wood and light wood, like a chessboard, and it looks amazing! I also found the wood shifter to top it all off. Rey

I've seen the wood steering wheels on Ebay, but WOW ... they get a pretty penny for 'em. I can hear my wife, "YOU PAID WHAT?". I'll have to wait for the steering wheel fairie to drop one off :P

Hi//

Got the same one with the black interior. Wife and Sister-in-law chose the color combination. They definitely had it right. Also got the VAIS iPod interface. Very nice.

Might want to take a look at rubber floor mats. Got the Weather Tech mats. Since we're in the Seattle area I have not regretted it. The factory mats are sitting on a shelf in the garage. Next addition will be a trailer hitch receiver. Saw one a while back for $165 delivered (I think). Will let you know when I get it.

regards,

Fenton House.

I've seen the wood steering wheels on Ebay, but WOW ... they get a pretty penny for 'em. I can hear my wife, "YOU PAID WHAT?". I'll have to wait for the steering wheel fairie to drop one off :P

Yes, I found a wooden steering wheel, gorgeous, for about 300 bucks...oh, I'm not married...that's why I could buy it! Rey

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome thread. I've got an '06 in the traditional silver/black trim. I've got my eye on the wood trim too! Is there a "quality" aftermarket woodtrim you would suggest? And after that, just how hard is it to install all that wood trim? Do you just place it over the silver trim?

• 1 month later...

Hello >

I too am a NEW RX 400H owner/ & I use it to haul a Airstream 16' trailer!!

Robert

I too am a NEW RX 400H owner/ & I use it to haul a Airstream 16' trailer!!

Robert

You do? The RX has a max towing of 3500... a 16' Bambi weights 2,825 empty.. add some water, propane and personal belongings and you're very quickly over 3500.... if you have the airco it is even more.... sounds rather dangerous to me.

From personal experience I would never tow something that weights 3500 with a car that has less than 5000 tow capacity. (I had a 16' CCD Bambi behind my FJ Cruiser, which was JUST ok in some circumstances)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all,

Been lurking for a week or so while I was deciding whether or not to take the plunge and purchase an RX400h. Well.............I did! It is slightly used with 6600 miles on it. 2008 Breakwater Blue Metallic AWD with Liquid Graphite wheels, heated seats, Nav, Sirius Satelite radio,Premium plus package, Towing prep package Wood trim and preferred accessory package.

Picked it up yesterday and drove about 35 miles and want to move to a state with no speed limit, WOW! is this thing powerful.......I never owned a v8 and this is what I imagine one would feel like............YIKES!

I had a gen2 prius a car or two ago so I am familiar with how the system works and I will miss the workaround that you had with the Nav in that car. I might have to spring for the lockpick thing just so I can use nav on the fly.

My Verizon EnV2 phone paired right up with the blue tooth and I WAS able to download my entire phone book to the car just like that. I will keep you guys updated on my progress and impressions.

Steven

Congratulations, Steven and welcome to the "clan"! We were one of the first in San Diego to buy an RX400h and I am absolutely amazed at how reliable this vehicle is!

Dave