New Here/how Do I...? And Ecu

Wheat10

Hi, I'm new to this forum tonight (read, be patient) and have several questions:

Search: I spent some time trying to find out how to search information on the ECU, but the search part tells me I have to have more than 3 letters. I've tried engine computer unit, engine computer, computer, and I still can't find what I'm looking for.

RX won't start: The situation is my daughter is away from home at a university. Her 99 RX300, 99K miles, does not start. The dash was dark, no little light icons, and the remote door fob did not work. She jumped the battery and it started instantly. She drove it home last weekend. The battery was checked and it was ok. A few days later (at school, pouring rain, of course) it happened again. She jumped it and it started right away. She drove it to a Toyota dealer. They thought it might be the ECU unit, but admittedly could not find the problem. They said even if they replace it, that might not fix it. The technician actually told her that in 15 years he has not had a vehicle apart as far as hers and not found the problem. The battery was new in June of 07. terminal connections good.

I thought if I looked around here long enough, I might find someone else with the same problem. Also, her main key is now broken where the metal meets the black plastic. ( But it was not broken when the RX did not start.) do I understand correctly that if we have the ECU replaced, we also have to have the keys replaced? I see dollar signs spinning again.

Oil sludge: we had to have the engine repaired b/c oil sludge. As stated in another post, this was done at an independent auto shop. Is there a way to get reimbursed from Toyota? Could there be any connection between the engine repair in December, and the seemingly electrical problem now?

Viewing posts: may seem silly, but what buttons do I need to tweak to see the newest posts first? When I go to a thread I want to read, it may start in 04 or 10 replies ago. How do I set up to see the newest posts to a thread first? I tried to send the moderator this last question, but access was denied :) Oh, and when posting a new topic, I don't see where to check to get email notifications of posted replies.....

thanks for any input!

Welcome :cheers:

Go to "My Controls" to activate the email notice.

ECU Electronic Control Unit (I think)

"Oil sludge: we had to have the engine repaired b/c oil sludge. As stated in another post, this was done at an independent auto shop. Is there a way to get reimbursed from Toyota? Could there be any connection between the engine repair in December, and the seemingly electrical problem now? "

Probably not and maybe so.

Either the battery is not getting charged or something is draining it. (Both obvious) How far does your daughter drive it? Is it far enough, 10 to 20 miles, to keep the battery charged? I'm assuming that little things have been eliminated, like the dome lights on. Everyone checks the battery cables at the battery, check the other ends also. You might even take the ground cable loose and make sure there's no paint or corrosion under it.

Just my ramblings...........

Welcome :cheers:

Go to "My Controls" to activate the email notice.

ECU Electronic Control Unit (I think)

"Oil sludge: we had to have the engine repaired b/c oil sludge. As stated in another post, this was done at an independent auto shop. Is there a way to get reimbursed from Toyota? Could there be any connection between the engine repair in December, and the seemingly electrical problem now? "

Probably not and maybe so.

Either the battery is not getting charged or something is draining it. (Both obvious) How far does your daughter drive it? Is it far enough, 10 to 20 miles, to keep the battery charged? I'm assuming that little things have been eliminated, like the dome lights on. Everyone checks the battery cables at the battery, check the other ends also. You might even take the ground cable loose and make sure there's no paint or corrosion under it.

Just my ramblings...........

thanks! when we get it back, we'll check it out. then take it to the shop that repaired it in Dec. and see what they can find

Any aftermarket alarm or anything else added to be draining it?

I say the alternator is not keeping up to charge the battery long enough. I have a similar problem with my es 300 where at idle it puts out only 11 volts and never keeps the battery charged enough.

She does keep the cell phone charger plugged in all the time. The port on my 01 RX300 goes dead when the engine is off, so I'm just guessing hers does also. Tech said her car was pulling around 125 to 150 milli-amps, and 5 was normal.

Both of you have a good point on her not driving long enough to keep it charged as she's only about 2 miles from campus and it's probably not running more than 10 minutes at each start. The battery that was new in June 07 was a replacement for one that was new in Nov 06 ( we did not own the RX then) It was covered under AAA in FL.... which, BTW, apparently Indiana does not cover.