Tranny Flush

BigBuggie

Just a bit confused here as I have read conflicting information. Is a tranny flush recommended for 114k miles? I've heard yes and no. I was going to change the fluid in the pan and filter but a toyota dealer will flush it for 100 bucks, I figured what the hell.

Thanks again, Pete

Just a bit confused here as I have read conflicting information. Is a tranny flush recommended for 114k miles? I've heard yes and no. I was going to change the fluid in the pan and filter but a toyota dealer will flush it for 100 bucks, I figured what the hell.

Thanks again, Pete

When was the last time it was drained and filled ? I do not trust tranny flushes, I would drain and fill(2 qts.) Toyota T4 ATF. The only way to change all the fluid @ once is if you disconnect the tranny hose that goes through the bottom of drivers side of the radiator and place it in a bucket, Then take the exit hose from the pass. side of the radiator and connect it to a large resevoir with a extention hose and fill it with tranny fluid, Start the car and let the normal circulation of the fluid pump out the old and suck in the new. It is changed when the exit hose fluid runs bright red. Hope this helps you. It helps with 2 people performing this.

I agree with DC on the power flushes. I was a drain'n'fill guy myself, easy to do and very gentle to the internals. Power flushing, from what I've heard, is pretty forceful on the system. Granted the car isn't made out of cheap plastic, but if you can achieve much the same results without having to forcefully do anything to the internal components, just seems better to me. DC's method sounds a lot more gentle on the internals as well. Letting the car itself set the force of pulling new fluids in v. some pressurized machine at the shop seems much better.

Another vote for drain & fill only. But agreed, try a search.....lots of info on the subject. :)

:cheers:

I have never flushed my tranny, I do drain and fill every oil change (2 qts.) The cost doesn't bother me around $5.95 a qt. I also installed a tranny cooler which helps alot as far as fluid life. The fluid always drains bright red and I intend to keep it that way. ;)