I Did The Seafoam!

jcrome04

On my girlfriend's 98 Prelude!!! haha. AND took the throttle body off and cleaned it.

WOW! The difference is AMAZING! I couldn't believe it! It's so smooth now, and a slight bump in power. (feels like)

It's nice to have a test mule before I do something to the Lex. :D :D

But the HORRIBLE smell is coming through her vent when the fan is on. I'm thinking it's because her engine burns some oil so some smell is getting out up there..... I just DO NOT want my LS to smell like crap :(

any thoughts????

I've used seafoam several times on several vehicles and the only smell is from the horrible looking white cloud that comes out of the exhaust after the treatment. The prelude probably just needs a new vcg unless you've got something else in there that is burning.

What's a VCG??

And yes I'm quite the guy huh? I'm glad you agree! :D hahaha You should have seen this car before she stumbled upon me.

It sure was your stereo-typical honda! :geek:

and it was about 2 qts low last time she had the oil changed....so something is eating it up, there are no drips on the ground (that I've seen)

I have a buddy with a 1996 Mazda MX-6. We're going to clean her throttle body and do the seafoam on it today. I hope there's no smell other than the exhaust.

VCG? Valve Cover Gasket right? I get it. lol.

So I shot a video of the result of the Seafoam through the brake booster! B)

I'm trying to upload it to youtube right now so be patient kiddos! I'll get it posted ASAP!!

:D

Yeah it was at my detail shop. It's right off one of the busiet intersections up here! :)

I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed the show! B) haha

I'm going to take some step-by-step pictures tomorrow and make a DIY out of it.

So then when someone like me comes along they aren't so nervous about doing it!! :)

Oh yeah and before I forget I've got to give props to "nc211" for giving me some great instructions to follow!! :)

Nc is one of our finest members (we have too many to list) Always willing and able to help out a fellow member, Let's hear it for NC :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Ahh shucks fella's,:blushing: . I appreciate the kind gestures, makes it all worth it :cheers:

Before you know it jcrome, you'll be passing along the knowledge learned too, just like all of old timers do. I've been taught this stuff from guys like dcfish, bicol, blake, swo, sk, threadcutter, etc... you name it. For a guy with under 200 posts to already be passing along the things he has done, clearly states to me that you'll be around here for a long time too! Welcome to the club amigo, welcome to the club! :cheers:

No fears about the seafoam in the engine oil, just put in about 1/2 the can, let her idle for 20 minutes, let her sit for about 45 minutes, and drain it out. Just remember to sacrifice an extra pint of good oil to flush out the corners of the pan. To see the impact of the seafoam, check the oil first with the dipstick, put some on a white towel. Then check it again after the seafoam has been circulating through. You'll be amazed how black that oil is. Then watch it drain out, you won't see any light through it. I myself am a big fan of Mobile 1 full synthetic oil, and gear oil for the differential. Some guys have expressed concern over the sythetic causing leaks in the seals, but I never had a single problem in mine. Was running it from 100k to when I sold it at 135k.

Judging by your video and the amount of smoke, I would wait a couple hundred miles and then do it one more time, then change out the plugs. Reason to wait is to give the engine enough time to digest any loose carbon in there now. Give it one more go, then some new plugs, matched by the seafoaming of the oil, and she'll purrrr. Eventually you'll want to clean the intake area too, specifically the butterfly opening edges, but that takes a little time, about an hour or two.

After this, you're off to different tweaks amigo! Like restoring the one-finger steering feel by cleaning the solenoid screen on the rack, which is easy as pie!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...enoid&st=75

Jcrome, Thanks for the help. I just finished doing mine.

1 thing. It didn't blow out nearly as much smoke? I did put 5.5 oz as advised, hmm....?

Can you use this in the crankcase without changing the oil? Just curious, I changed oil 2 days ago, would like to get a bit more time out of it.

Pete

1 thing. It didn't blow out nearly as much smoke? I did put 5.5 oz as advised, hmm....?

Can you use this in the crankcase without changing the oil? Just curious, I changed oil 2 days ago, would like to get a bit more time out of it.

Pete

if you put in oil, you need to change in like 20 minutes.

Pete

if you put in oil, you need to change in like 20 minutes.

10-4

Thanks again NC!! I've got a throttle body gasket on the way (to clean the throttle body) and 8 more spark plugs so I can swap them out after the next Seafoam! :D

I'm going to change out my differential fluid today, I just got the Valvoline High Performance 75W90 (same as in lexls DIY) because mainly I didn't feel like spending $10.99 a quart for full synthetic! hahaha.

Then my plans for the oil is to do the seafoam. Then put in Mobil1 Extended Performance Synthetic so I can go almost 15,000 miles on ONE oil change!! :D

Then I need to blow off that little EGR filter thingy I saw on lexls....... lol.... what else can I do... I need some new wires

And I was wanting to do the Power Steering fluid as well........ any tips for that?? I've read to use Auto Transmission Fluid??? Or I could just go to the dealer and pay $89.99 lol

The dealership won't take the time to clean the solenoid screen, which is the key to prolonging the life of the steering rack. That little screen controls the pressure of the flow, when it clogged up after years of use, the pressure builds backwards and results in a leak along the passenger side of the steering rack "usually the passenger side". The solenoid controls how much boost you get at slower speeds, and how much adjustment is made at highway speeds. I read on the 4runner forum of a guy simply using a turkey baster to suck out the old steering fluid, putting in new, and repeating until it was nice and cherry. I'd use synthetic myself, as I love that stuff from tip to tip. But you'll probably want to have the front wheels in the air, so you can squeez out any air bubles by turning the wheels left to right.

Honestly, if you can return that Valvoline gear lube for the synthetic, I think you'd like it a little better. I used that valvoline stuff too on my first change, but did the synthetic on my second and really noticed a nice change.

Ok will do! I need to go back to the auto parts store anyways and get a 10mm male socket guy.... of course I had the car jacked up and everything ready to bust it out in no time......and didn't have the right socket... lol.

And for the Power Steering I read your post on cleaning the solenoid. Is it righty tighy lefty loosey??? Or a reverse thread? I don't want to wrench it the wrong way.

Steps???

Pull the solenoid, brush of the crap aound the screens on the end, put it back in, and suck out the old fluid until it's a cherry, mint, choice, red color??? (sorry for all the 80's adjectives!!!! :D hahahaha) Maybe I'll just use the pump I got for the gear lube? :) heheh

Plus what kind of synthetic fluid for the Power Steering????? Any ATF?

Plus what kind of synthetic fluid for the Power Steering????? Any ATF?

I highly suggest Amsoil synthetic ATF for the PS & Amsoil diff fluid. Grab yourself a diff plug gasket when you do the fluid change too. B)

:cheers:

• 2 months later...

Would it be okay to Seafoam the oil first and then follow-up with the brake booster method in a couple of weeks? I am waiting for my new ignition wires/plugs. In the meantime my oil is due for a change.

Thanks for everyone's response. I really appreciate it.

Yeah it was at my detail shop. It's right off one of the busiet intersections up here! :)

I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed the show! B) haha

I'm going to take some step-by-step pictures tomorrow and make a DIY out of it.

So then when someone like me comes along they aren't so nervous about doing it!! :)

please do that diy tutorial when you can, ive been through all posts but am a little confused still, anyhoww...thanks in advance...