96 Es300 Passenger Door Won't Open

Ballcaddy

The plastic part, if broken, can be hard to insert. I have used insolated wire to pull through the hole with the new part on it and a knot on the end. You can not put your hands into the space to work parts together. Since I have no Lexus dealer on isalnd where I live, I fount a GM part that fits. I can give you specs. if you need them. I had to do both of my front door, the driver's side twice, because it slipped out when people grab the handle and yank it too far up. I have also put a tie wrap arround the rod and new plastic insert. It requires a surgical like procedure however. To remove the door pannel is fairly easy after you figure out all the screws and pop of the plastic ring arround the handle.

Good luck.

I had the same problem w/ my drivers side door. I took it to the Lexus dealership to replace the broken rod and they wanted about $400. I found the part at a junkyard for $75 and replaced it myself. It was pretty tough to do because there was not much room to work inside the door panel. Does anyone know if this is a common problem w/ the Lexus doors? Hope this helps..

Yes it is. One more detail I remember to help with the repair. There is a rubber gaskett on the door and has a semihiden screw. After you carefuly remove it and get your window all the way down, it gives you an openning to access the hole in the handle where the plastic and the rod goes. If you can find the broken plastic part, take it to the part store to compare to a new one. My Toyota dealer had no clue what it is and I am still waiting for their phone call. That was over a year ago.

• 4 weeks later...