Body Shop Repair

AZ08LexusES

I got a "love tap" from behind this last weekend and as a result there is a crack in my bumper cover. I called the dealership and they recommended a body shop that belongs to the same people that own the dealerships and are Lexus certified to do repairs. So I went and got an estimate from them. They say they need to replace and paint the bumper cover, which is fine. They will replace with the original parts, but the paint is not. When I asked if they used the same paint they said no, that the paint they use is PPG which is a better paint than the original and the everything has a life time warranty.

My question is, should I try and find a body shop that will use the same paint? I am worried that different paint may "age" differently and look different in the future. Any advice, I could always take it to somewhere in Phoenix but I need your advice.

I got a "love tap" from behind this last weekend and as a result there is a crack in my bumper cover. I called the dealership and they recommended a body shop that belongs to the same people that own the dealerships and are Lexus certified to do repairs. So I went and got an estimate from them. They say they need to replace and paint the bumper cover, which is fine. They will replace with the original parts, but the paint is not. When I asked if they used the same paint they said no, that the paint they use is PPG which is a better paint than the original and the everything has a life time warranty.

My question is, should I try and find a body shop that will use the same paint? I am worried that different paint may "age" differently and look different in the future. Any advice, I could always take it to somewhere in Phoenix but I need your advice.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. If they say it's a Lexus certified facility & they will cover it with a lifetime warranty.......I say get it done with them. PPG is a very high quality paint & they should be able to match it up no problem. The onus is on them & they will have to look after things should you have a problem down the road. B)

:cheers:

Sorry to hear about your mishap. If they say it's a Lexus certified facility & they will cover it with a lifetime warranty.......I say get it done with them. PPG is a very high quality paint & they should be able to match it up no problem. The onus is on them & they will have to look after things should you have a problem down the road. B)

:cheers:

I went through the exact same process(bumper and all) The lexus certified body shop also used PPG paint (black onyx) and matched perfectly. I wouldn't worry.

The claims estimator told me that the damage can be repaired and fixed to look perfectly. Is this true, anybody had experience with this 3M repair kit? The cut or gash is about an inch and a half in length.

I would have them put a new bumper cover on. That's just me..........

The claims estimator told me that the damage can be repaired and fixed to look perfectly. Is this true, anybody had experience with this 3M repair kit? The cut or gash is about an inch and a half in length.

This is a lie. Insurance estimators are always trying to get off on the cheap.

The urethane bumper cover is a very flixible material. there is no way to repair it once its cracked or deformed and have it look right over the lifetime of the vehicle. Ask the body shop what they think about repairing the cover. if they're a decent shop, they'll react like you just told them Osama Bin Laden isn't such a bad guy.

Tell the insurance you want it replaced.

Don't worry about the paint. Lexus doesn't make paint, in fact the paint they use is probably PPG. Nowadays its all computer mixed and tinted, it'll look perfect.

I had my rear bumper done and mine is a pearl tri-coat and it matches PERFECTLY.

At the end, what the insurance quoted and what the body shop quoted were only about $70 dollars apart. The insurance quoted a repair, which is more labor intensive, while the body shop quoted a replacement where the bumper cover was the main expense. So I called the body shop and told them I would prefer replacement and if they could work with me. So they met me half way. So I will pay $35 out of pocket for replacement as opposed to a repair!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got the bumper cover replaced. The paint was matched exactly but there seemed to be some scratches on the top and the bumper seemed to have a little more separation than it should from the other panel on one side by the wheel well. I had them fix that and they buffed out the little area in the paint that didn't look right and it looks perfect now! It looks like new again!

Would you mind sharing the actual cost of the repair or any other details ?

My wife's ES needs at least a repaint of the cover, possibly a replacement as well.

I wonder if it's more or less than our deductible.

Thank you !

Would you mind sharing the actual cost of the repair or any other details ?

My wife's ES needs at least a repaint of the cover, possibly a replacement as well.

I wonder if it's more or less than our deductible.

Thank you !

The total job was initially quoted at about $870 for the replacement of the cover and painting. Just be really picky about who you take it to and don't let price steer you. Go for a certified body shop and don't leave your car until you understand exactly what they will be doing to it. It was hard to leave it, I got separation anxiety. Then, the rental I got was a PT Cruiser, that was a strange transition, felt very cramped and even the smooth roads felt bumpy! But there is a charm about it, just not me.