Sylvania Silver Stars For Dlr/high Beams In 08 W/ Hid

hey all, have a new 08 rx350 with HIDs. going to get the dealer to aim the HIDs more up because they are aimed too low. I am somewhat annoyed that lexus did not use bi-xenon HIDs that do both low and high beams. Had I known, I would have not gotten it from them and put in my own HID kit...

Anyways, I was also going to replace the stock DLR/Highbeam bulbs with Sylvania silver stars - website says 9005S/SUs. was going to grab the 9005SUs from walmart.

anyone have any experience with these bulbs in their rx350? its not going to fry anything is it?

hey all, have a new 08 rx350 with HIDs. going to get the dealer to aim the HIDs more up because they are aimed too low. I am somewhat annoyed that lexus did not use bi-xenon HIDs that do both low and high beams. Had I known, I would have not gotten it from them and put in my own HID kit...

Anyways, I was also going to replace the stock DLR/Highbeam bulbs with Sylvania silver stars - website says 9005S/SUs. was going to grab the 9005SUs from walmart.

anyone have any experience with these bulbs in their rx350? its not going to fry anything is it?

I suspect if you check more closely you will note that you do have bi-xenons and the HB halogen is there for "fill" and for DRL.

The projector HID has a shading apperture for low beam which is moved out of the way via an eelctric solenoid in high beam mode.

The lead car on the left has the same bi-xenon arrangement.

I first noticed this on my '01 AWD RX300, at fairly low miles the glass encapsulation for the high beam bulbs was internally "sooted" over and there was a bubble in the glass above the filament. I had upgraded to PIAA higher wattage bulbs so I guess I wrote it off to that, PIAAs, although I had found documents on the internet in operating halogen bulbs as DRLs at low voltage could result in those effects.

Yesterday I had to replace a burned out low beam in our 95 LS400 (210,000 miles). In the process of replacing the high/low beam H4 bulb I noticed that the second high beam bulb (60W HB3/9005), the one used for DRL, looked odd, bluish. When I removed it it was as I described above for the RX300.

So those of you with high beams as DRLs might want to check the condition of the bulb.

• 2 weeks later...