Early Ls Nakamichis

chilkoot

I've had two LS's, a '90 and '93, both with Nakamichis in the dash. They've also both lost two speakers completely, left rear and right front. I haven't seen it mentioned or found anything searching, but is this a common problem for first gen LS's? If so, is it the amp, wiring or speaker contact points that are the weak link?

Apologies if this belongs in audio, but it's a fairly specific model problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

dude maybe the speakers are bad? have you already replaced them? my friends 92 nak lost her driver front speaker. we haven't replaced it yet to see if its a speaker prob or another prob.

the speakers on your old 90 were pretty dead. the foam was disintegrated.

dude maybe the speakers are bad? have you already replaced them? my friends 92 nak lost her driver front speaker. we haven't replaced it yet to see if its a speaker prob or another prob.

Within our family, company and close relatives we have a 91 LS, 2 92 LSes, and a 95 LS, all with well over 100,000 miles, 210,000 for the 95. At least two of these have the Nakimichis but NONE have had speakers fail.

Of course maybe none of US are likely to try to hear "low" musical sequences by turning the volume up so the "low" tunes/sequences are above the ~70 Db ambient noise level at speed, putting the "high" tunes/sequence at 180 Db.

Haven't replaced anything, so it's a definite possibility, but i'm not getting any sound out of them so I thought perhaps it was either a wiring failure or a channel going out on the Nak. I figured I'd ask here before I went cutting wires and moving speakers around. IIRC, on that '90 the front right speaker was cutting in and out before it failed completely, which is why I suspected it may be something other than the speaker itself.

on a completely unrelated note, did your package arrive safely?

I have the Nakamichi, and when I bought the car a few years ago both front mids were dead, and the left rear was halfway gone. With my brother's help I replaced all four of the mids, and the system sounds fine. We didn't replace any wires, so for whatever reason the front speakers just quit... from what I have heard that isn't totally uncommon among early Nak systems, but I could be wrong

Haven't replaced anything, so it's a definite possibility, but i'm not getting any sound out of them so I thought perhaps it was either a wiring failure or a channel going out on the Nak. I figured I'd ask here before I went cutting wires and moving speakers around. IIRC, on that '90 the front right speaker was cutting in and out before it failed completely, which is why I suspected it may be something other than the speaker itself.

on a completely unrelated note, did your package arrive safely?

yea dude i got it. Thanks. I'm in the process of putting the car together. do you want me to paypal you the postage? How's your 93 doin? PM me.

Unfortunately, neither of my LS400s have that unit. I have never been lucky enough to have a "loaded" LS400, other than leather and sunroof options which were options believe it or not on the 1990-92 models (maybe even 93-94s... I cannot recall - I read it somewhere). :) Never had one with heated seats, air suspension (which is a good thing?), or even CD player. <_<

Whats ironic is I could care less about a sunroof or leather interior... I actually would have preferred to have found one with NO sunroof and the rare cloth interior.