Backup Camera

lex470

Hi All,

Have a question about adding a backup camera to my new 04 GX470. I have the Nav system option. I understand that all units mfg after Jan 05 will have the backup camera installed. I have seen the after market camera's that come with a rearview mirror screen or seperate LCD but I would prefer to have the camera's view on my Nav screen. Anyone have any suggestions? :huh:

Things are looking up! Just got an email from a salesperson at Magnussen Lexus. The first GX470's with the backup camera were received and delivered to customers yesterday. Now if the KDSS would come in ahead of schedule too..........

Same question: I have an '04 w/out the camera, and was wondering if I can have it added on by the dealer. I spoke to our salesperson, but she said they can't. I'm hoping someone out there can tell me differently! Only complaint with the car is the limited rear visibility.

Thx in advance,

-X-

Things are looking up!  Just got an email from a salesperson at Magnussen Lexus.  The first GX470's with the backup camera were received and delivered to customers yesterday.  Now if the KDSS would come in ahead of schedule too..........

Yes, the KDSS fitted gx470s are out - I have mine ready for pickup next week - Its got all the options including rear view camera and the tire pressure monitoring system as well - will let you know as soon as I take delivery and try it out - the vehicle inquiry detail -surely shows the KDSS - its a $1750 option though !!

That's great news on the KDSS option being available. The salesperson at the dealership says he thinks the rear entertainment system will be a mandatory option on all GX's fitted with KDSS. Did you hear anything like that?

Hi, I took delivery of my 2004 - fully equiped including the KDSS, rear camera etc etc - Its got the third row and the mark levinson, DVD etc. I drove 90 miles and so far no problems -- still getting used to the idea of driving an SUV (truck) versus a BMW 7 series. I got a chance to drive in snow yesterday - was great (didn't miss my bimmer). Everything works good so far (touch wood) - I let the dealer and the sales person make some extra money hoping they'd take care of me in the long run. (I always belive in that) - I love the navigation system. sound is so so ... I am disappointed by the DVD LCD display quality - I bet you can get much better results from an Alpine display - nonetheless - okay for kids. Besides saving all the hassle of retrofitting.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Good luck !

WOW! Congratulations! I'm green with envy! I assume you drove a 2004 demo before deciding to buy the GX. Although you just took delivery recently, can you make any comment on KDSS versus no KDSS? Thanks.

PS....I have driven a friend's 745 several times. I have also accidentally turned on those damn wipers virtually every time.

WOW! Congratulations! I'm green with envy! I assume you drove a 2004 demo before deciding to buy the GX. Although you just took delivery recently, can you make any comment on KDSS versus no KDSS? Thanks.

PS....I have driven a friend's 745 several times. I have also accidentally turned on those damn wipers virtually every time.

HI, I just placed my comments on the KDSS forum - In short - its wonderful - I certainly could tell the difference - the road grip is very nice and tight.

hey guys

i have a new 2004 GX 470 without the backup camera, has nav ... i just wanted to know if i can add a backup camera to it ...

Reply soon ... at adilkarim_9@yahoo.com

I was told by my dealer (Lexus of Bellevue, WA) that the rear camera can only be installed at the factory. I was unhappy...also have an 04 w/out it (but want it).

-X-

• 2 months later...
hey guys

i have a new 2004 GX 470 without the backup camera, has nav ... i just wanted to know if i can add a backup camera to it ...

Reply soon ... at adilkarim_9@yahoo.com

I was told by my dealer (Lexus of Bellevue, WA) that the rear camera can only be installed at the factory. I was unhappy...also have an 04 w/out it (but want it).

-X-

Hey

You can get a camera installed... i just got installed on mine... through an aftermarket shop here in toronto Canada for $400. the camera is OEM lexus and is connected to my NAV screen

• 4 months later...

Can you provide any info on how they connected it? I'm particularly interested in if I could do it to my 2003.

Actually, all I care is some way to switch the NAV display to the video input when I go into reverse, and I can make up the rest from there!

- Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Can you provide any info on how they connected it? I'm particularly interested in if I could do it to my 2003.

Actually, all I care is some way to switch the NAV display to the video input when I go into reverse, and I can make up the rest from there!

- Dave

hey

actually there's a nav screen adapter that you have to put with the camera... the camera was installed in rear bumper... rear view takes over whenever the shift lever is in R position and goes back to the normal screen when the shifter is moved ...

yes it can be done with a 03 as well...

tell me your location... may be i can ask my installer... if he know's of someone who can do this there....

Hi,

I am located in Bayarea, California (San Francisco). I am interested in installing the backup camera. I havea 03 model. Please provide information or updates on location and steps involved in getting this done.

Thanks,

Ronnie.

Hi,

I am located in Bayarea, California (San Francisco). I am interested in installing the backup camera. I havea 03 model. Please provide information or updates on location and steps involved in getting this done.

Thanks,

Ronnie.

Hi All,

I'm really interested in this for my 01 LS430, I see the little hole in the tailgate where the camera goes. Any instructions online?

• 3 years later...
Hi,

Thanks,

Ronnie.

Ronnie,

Did you install the back up camera on your car yet? If yes, please give me the place that you installed it. (I'm living in San Jose Area.) Also, how much do you spend for your equipment? what's model and where do you got the camera?

Thank a lot!!!

• 5 years later...

I am also in the Bay Area interested in adding backup camera to my 03 GX470 with OEM NAV. Does the OEM NAV come with aux Video input and a switch signal for reverse switch? If so, a regular after market camera may work. They only cost $20 each.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where I can purchase an OEM GX camera for a decent price? I've inquired at my Lexus dealership and the original price for just the camera is already $1100.. They could POSSIBLY drop it down to $850 because of my loyalty to my dealer... BUT STILL!!

Does anyone know where I can purchase an OEM GX camera for a decent price? I've inquired at my Lexus dealership and the original price for just the camera is already $1100.. They could POSSIBLY drop it down to $850 because of my loyalty to my dealer... BUT STILL!!

PM DCFish. I bet he can find it.