Nakamichi Speakers

rich21

my passenger speaker (not the tweeter) is not working. are the nakamichi speakers on ebay equivalent to the ones in the sc400? or does anybody know where i can get a used one. don't really want to spend $300 for part and installation.

You have a few options. Usually when I blow a stock component - I just get the whole system redone. Haven't had a stock component go out on any of the lexus before though. Try e-bay or www.taprecycling.com to locate a parts - then there is the old google fall back. I do have a component Diamond Audio set from my 1993 SC that I removed after the accident. 4" mids for the doors and two tweets with crossovers. They sounded very good in that car. Shouldn't be too hard of an install but with limited car stereo experience myself, I'm not sure how to go about it. I know I pulled the wires off the crossover and the speakers leads came from that crossover. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Don't get me wrong, that is only one option. Honestly, I prefer the stock look myself as it is hard to get an aftermarket unit to look at home in any car not to mention our SC's. Just trying to give a you little idea. If you decide that is your option to go with, then by all means go for it. It will be much more expensive to get a whole replacement with quality stuff that to just replace the speaker. You could even just throw a similar rated aftermarket speaker in to replace the damaged one. Check out our audio visual forum for more assistance/inspiration. Good luck.

if i put an aftermarket speaker can that fry the whole system?doesn't it have to be just nakamichi speakers to go with the nakamichi system. another thing are the nakamichi speakers that are being sold on ebay similar to the ones in the sc's?

i have a similar problem. i just got a 93 sc400. i love it.

the nakamichi changer is very slow. so i'm thinking that i should either replace the changer or replace the the head since i prefer cd players rather than changers and i don't use the cassette player anyway.

the rear speakers aren't working. i'm guessing that there's a loose wire somewhere.

what does everyone think?

The rear speakers aren't making noise? Or aren't moving? If they are moving but not making any noise, they're dead. If they just aren't moving at all, then I would start hunting for wires.. I don't think the Nakamichi system has an amp on each seperate speaker. I could be wrong. Some other premium audio systems on cars are pretty brutal. The Bose system on Z's is one of them, Infinity on the DSMs can be another one. If they aren't like that, you could put any speaker you won't in the place of a blown/dead speaker, and you'll be fine. I can garuntee that the stock head unit won't create enough power to push the new speaker very well, unless you buy a really cheap speaker to replace it. Usually when one of my stock speakers goes, I just replace the entire system, Use a 300-400 watt amp to power the components and mid-bass speakers and get a new head unit. I have yet to blow anything on my SC, but I have an amp and a set of Oz' competitions ready to go in when it happens.

As for the changer, tell me about it, that thing is slow. :lol: And it hates most of my cd's. The only thing is I haven't decided what to use the Volume knob space for when I change the deck, and until I do, I'm not going to tear the deck out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 91 ls400 and my rear speakers haven't worked for years, didn't hear them up front so I didn't fix them. Recently my front passenger speaker went dead it drove me nuts with only one speaker and the sub. I bought a set of 4" speakers to replace the Nakamichi front speakers per suggestion. I bought a relatively cheap set of pioneer speakers. They had a low continuous wattage rating so I think that they wont need anymore power than is provided by the stock system.

• 1 month later...

I have a 92 SC400 with the Nak system. The rear speakers worked, but were scratchy, the front speakers were dead. When I removed the covers (entire rear seat first, then sub cover, then the panel), the foam was gone between the cone and housing.

A stereo tech reasoned that replacing the original '92 Nak speakers might not be the best expense, since technology has changed a lot in 12 years. We purchased four Rockford-Fosgate 4" (The rear deck and door speakers are all 4"), and it sounds really good. The original door tweeters and sub all work fine.

Some books list SC rear speakers as 6". The Nak adapters are set up for 4", and I wanted to keep it close to stock. It's also the easiest replacement.

Just for reference, our other vehicle stereos: 2000 LX470 with Nak; 98 Toy Taco with factory stereo, 4" Polk Audio in the doors and 6.5" Infinity in the rear.

Favorite test song: Rocket Man - Elton John