1994 Es300 Fluid Leak At Rear Center Of Radiator Fan

busoptr

Hello fellow lex owners,

I was doing routine check on the car this morning and I saw a puddle of dark fluid on the driveway, and I started the car and some fluid is leaking from the rear of the radiator fan, in the middle of the fan theres hoses hooked up to it. I do not know which part is this. Is this power steering pump or what?

Please advise and thank you in advance. I really want to keep this 2nd car I use as a daily driver.

Joe

The cooling fan on the 94 ES is hydraulic. It is operated by power steering fluid being pumped from the power steering pump. It sounds like you have a leaking hose or a leaking connection point.

The cooling fan on the 94 ES is hydraulic. It is operated by power steering fluid being pumped from the power steering pump. It sounds like you have a leaking hose or a leaking connection point.

Youre the greatest man, I will check first thing in the morning CUman. Thanks a million!!!

Youre the greatest man, I will check first thing in the morning CUman. Thanks a million!!!

May I ask what kind of fluid was leaking - or what did it look like & how much? I have a leak as though a hose burst but I can't see where it's coming from. Some of the parts are covered with a rust-color fluid though & something that looks like oil was on the ground yesterday.

Oil and power steering leaks are common in the early ES models. They are often difficult to diagnose because of the routing of the power steering hoses. One would think that it would be easy to see if the power steering is leaking because this is red Dexron ATF fluid. However, if the leak is located at the rear of the engine, and there is also an oil leak (valve cover gaskets or rear main seal), all this stuff mixes together before it drops to the ground. This makes it hard to differentiate between oil and PS fluid.

Over the past three years, I have had PS fluid leaks, valve cover leaks, and rear main seal leaks. The drip pattern on the floor of the garage went from one side of the car to the other, at the rear of the engine. I had repairs done on the valve covers (new gaskets) and the power steering (pressure hose). This stopped most of the drips.

Alright fellow lex lovers!!!!

Heres another camry cross referenced part. This is the source of my power steering fluid leak. Its the hydraulic motor assembly that spins your radiator fan. Its part number is 16960-62010. This part on my 94 es300 believed or not was cracked and fluid was leaking out slowly, the dealer wanted $ 433.64 for a new one, I got one from ebay which was pulled from a 93 sc400 and it is a good pull for $ 100.00. Thank you GOD!!! I mean what are the chances of me finding one on line. To replace the old one you have to drain the radiator, disconnect the upper radiator fat hose, disconnect the 2 hoses on top of the hydraulic motor ,remove the fan shroud and the fan as one unit, there are 6 bolts, remove the fan by loosening the bolt on the middle of the fan, and then 3 bolts that hold the hydraulic motor assembly and then installation is the reverse.

By the way, Im not sure its the same way with the 92s or 93s. Hope this will help someone on the forum someday!!