Fuel Tank Cap Gasket

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

According to the owners manual for my 1993 LS400 - I would [based on how I drive] follow Maintainance Schedule 'B'. [as most of us would] On that 'schedule' it states that I am to replace the fuel tank cap gasket every 6 years or 60,000 miles. [96,000 km's] I've never heard of such a thing AND have never heard anyone ever talk about it. Have any of you replaced it? It must be pretty important since THAT is mentioned and the timing belt is NOT. [there is no requirement to EVER change the timing belt OR to even inspect it!!]

Two other things...

What is a charcoal canister and where is it - exactly? ['we' are supposed to inspect 'it' every 6/60] Also - where is the air conditioning filter that 'we' are supposed to replace every 12 months/15,000 miles. [24,000 km's]

Update:

I'm taking my LS in this Monday. [Dec 1st] Lot's of work to be done. The valves are going to be adjusted. The transmission and differential fluid changed. The 'water in trunk' problem resolved. [hopefully] Fuel tank looked at and cleaned. [i'm guessing] AND the CD player put BACK into the car. [now that it's fixed - so they say] I'm also thinking of having the spark plugs replaced along with the fuel and air filters. If all works out as planned - my next 'thing' to do with be to get new tires. Still favouring the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's. [unless anyone here has anything negative to say about those tires]

Craig!! :)

Well Craig,

That is the first time I've ever heard of replacing a gasket on a fuel cap. Maybe you should just "inspect" it and pocket the $50 Lexus would charge you for the inspection. The charcoal cannister is a tank where the fuel vapors from the fuel tank are run through acticated carbon charcoal. If they go bad you will know it because you will smell gasoline fumes. I don't know where it is. As for tires, I've started looking around as well. Why do you favor the Bridgestomes? I am leaning toward Michelins as I've always had great results with them.

Good luck

Denny

Hi Denny!! :)

Thanks for the reply!!

Just so you know - I have no intention of replacing the gas cap gasket. I just thought it was odd that it was mentioned in the maintainance schedule. Even the transmission and differential fluid is only to be inspected.

Any idea where the a/c filter is?

As for tires - I've been wracking my brain trying to decide. Money is an issue - so tires like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S were soon dropped from my list. And not too many people seem to like any other Michelin tire. [other than the one's I've got - the X-One's - oddly enough] I don't like the X-One's on my car. Being a T-rated tire - they're far to 'squishy' or 'mushy'. [or whatever you want to call it!!] It feels like the tires are almost flat - sometimes. So much so that I keep checking the pressure - but it's fine. More than fine - in fact - at 35 psi. Why the Turanza LS-V's? Well... they're certainly rated VERY highly by those who have already bought them. According to the TireRack.com site - the Turanza [in it's catagory] takes the top three spots. The Z is number one. The V is number two. And the H is number three. I've decided to get a V speed rated tire. Not only did the LS come with V's - but the spare is a V [the original Goodyear GA] which means I won't have to buy a 5th tire. [as I would IF I bought Z-rated or some other speed rating]

But I'm worried. I sure hope whatever tires I end up getting are quiet AND much more confidence-inspiring then the X-one's.

What do you have on your car now - exactly??

Thanks!!

When I bought my car about a year and a half ago, the previous (original) owner had just installed 4 new Good Year Aquatred III tires. They are "S" rated and not appropriate for the car. I intend to reinstall "V" rated tires. I have Michelin X-1 Pluses on my other car and I love them. I keep them at 35psi. This is my second set, the first set still had half the tread after 65,000 miles. Excellent in rain, snow and high speed travel.

My 1990 LS uses P205-65R-15 tires, but I am changing to P215-60VR-15. I am leaning toward the MichelinPilot XGT-V4 I can get them at Costco for $132.99 which includes everything but sales tax. Several people on this forum have said that it isn't a very good idea to use tires rated below "V" as the cars was designed for these tires and switching changes the handling characteristics.

Money isn't that big and issue for me, but I really didn't want to spend 150 a tire either. If you don't go fast, I saw some BF Goodrich "S" rated T/a's for about $87 that looked good. You also might considr at least an "H" rated tires.

I have no idea where the A/C filter is and I guess I don't care since I am ususually a window down driver anyway. From what I know about the Lexus, I'm sure it's buried deep somewhere and almost impossible to cahnge.

Craig,

Like VB Denny, I think the cabin filter may be difficult to get to on the 1st gen ls. Mine is 99 and is easy change located behind lower glove box. Check your lower glove box and see if you can remove a snap off peice of plastic that attaches; behind this you may be able to see the blower assembly and possible filter location. This is where the 98-00 filters are; they just pull out and is easy replacement. I know there was disscussion on this earlier but I can't remember plus the loss of data base data has us all in the dark.....

On the tire issue.. I'm still looking too. I've got 5/32nds left so I'm not desperate yet plus the Yokohoma's are very quiet which is my requirement (Isn't it everybody else's too!!!)

The Yoko AVS dB S2 have solid ratings and everyone agrees they are quiet ($101) . A tirerack rep also thinks the Sumitomo HTR is real good tire for the money - $61 each! But, I don't know. Then there's the ContiExtreme, Dunlop 5000's, and Michelin MVX4's. So, after shipping (or buying local) you can spend $330 - $550 for the tires plus $100 for alignment. A lot of dealers (and trustworthy insiders) have told me the Michelins are the best. If that is so, then I suppose the extra $200 is gonna be the best money spent once your in the car.

On the other hand, every time I ask about tires for my 99 LS, the shops all come back with a T rated tire. Even a very reputable import (lexus/Acura) shop says they put plain vanilla all-sason (T rated) touring tires on the LS ALL THE TIME!

It's very confusing - Let me know about the valve adjustment !

The a/c filter is located at the bottom of the evaporator/blower assembly. You pry off the lower instrument panel cover, then there are two wing nuts on the bottom of the blower assy. There are actually 2 filters inside the blower housing and each one has a fold in it because they are too long to just drop straight down. When you drop the filter, fold it at the crease and then it will come completely out. I just replaced my a couple of months ago. They are not exactly cheap but Lexus is the only source for them I believe, I certainly couldn't cross reference another brand.

As far as tires go, I also just put a new set of Michelins MXV4's on that I purchased at SAMS Club. They are V rated tires and are the Michelins recommended for the LS400 if you search the Michelin site for the right tire for your car. I paid $700 which included tax, mounting, balancing, etc. with free rotations and a lifetime warranty on balance. No complains so far at all.

Curt

Hi Everyone!! :)

Thanks!!

Just so you can understand [if you don't already] WHY I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Turanza LS series of tires [specifically the LS-V's] click on the following TireRack links.

To see the 'Grand Touring All-Season Tires' Survey Results [bridgestone Turanza LS, Michelin MXV4's, etc.] click this.....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/gtas.jsp

To see the 'Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires' Survey Results [Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Pilot XGT-V4, etc.] click this.....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/uhpas.jsp

AND..

To see the 'Standard Touring All-Season Tires Survey Results' [posted merely to impress upon all of 'you' WHY I'm leaning towards getting Bridgestone Turanza LS tires. Even the LS-T is rated #1 - overall - by those who own them] click this.....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...lts/touring.jsp

[You may have already seen ALL of those survey's!!]

Not easy survey results to ignore. [as least as far as I'm concerned]

At first - I had my little heart set on getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. But they are SO expensive. AND I would have to replace the spare tire - too. Buying 5 Pilot Sport A/S tires is - so I have [all but] concluded - out of the question.

The Michelin Pilot XGT-V4's and MXV4's are certainly liked by many people - but they're not top rated tires. And what a person thinks of a tire depends greatly - I think - on where they LIVE. IF rainy-days are few and far apart - then tires that are good on dry concrete may impress - even IF they're not that great in the rain. [if that makes sense]

ps thanks for the info on the a/c filter location - obergc!! [by the way - what tires did you have BEFORE the MXV4 Plus XSE's?! AND what did you think of THEM?!]

Craig,

Ihave a 1998 LS 400 I just bought the Bridgestone Turenza 225-60-16 V rated for my car they are some of the best I have ever had! The car had toyo's on it when I got it, they also where very very soft poor in high speed long sweeping curves. The bridgestones are much better in all ways, no road noise and still a excellent ride! I payed $127.00 per tire at my local Firestone dealer pluse mounting.I run them at 35 PSI with no trouble at all in the wet, much better in the wet than the Toyos!

Good luck!

Jeff :cheers:

Thanks Craig,

The comparisions you provided mean my LS will not be getting Michelin's. I looked over all the comparision charts and I have to agree with you. I take surveys like this seriously. Who would have ever thought tire buying would come to this.

Denny

Hi RCRFAN3!! :)

I appreciate you letting me know.

Just to clarify [since there are several styles of Bridgestone tires that use the Turanza name] the tires you now have on your car ARE the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's? Is that right?!

That being the case - I'm really glad to hear how happy you are with 'them'. It sure helps to hear from someone who has first hand experience. [and who has no motive - one way or the other - like a tire saleman may have - to say the tires are good or not!!]

Hi Denny!! :)

RCRFAN3's message kinda puts the icing on the cake - don't you think? His opinion - along with the TireRack survey 'thing' - has finally brought me to the point of saying, "Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's - here I come!!" lol

Has anybody tried the falken tires yet? They were rated #1

in Consumer Reports nov. 2003

Someone posted that he tried some and they felt a little

squirmy.But when he inflated up to 32 from 30 he said it went

away. He was using them on a 91or 92 model which have 15"

OEM's tires and I do believe he was using a lower rating than V

I sure would like to know how they would be on a 94 LS

with 225/60/16 97V OEM spec.

I Know that they are available in V rating in that size.

They are very reasonable at 74.00/tire

• 9 months later...
Hi Guys!! :)

According to the owners manual for my 1993 LS400 - I would [based on how I drive] follow Maintainance Schedule 'B'. [as most of us would] On that 'schedule' it states that I am to replace the fuel tank cap gasket every 6 years or 60,000 miles. [96,000 km's] I've never heard of such a thing AND have never heard anyone ever talk about it. Have any of you replaced it? It must be pretty important since THAT is mentioned and the timing belt is NOT. [there is no requirement to EVER change the timing belt OR to even inspect it!!]

Two other things...

What is a charcoal canister and where is it - exactly? ['we' are supposed to inspect 'it' every 6/60] Also - where is the air conditioning filter that 'we' are supposed to replace every 12 months/15,000 miles. [24,000 km's]

Update:

I'm taking my LS in this Monday. [Dec 1st]  Lot's of work to be done. The valves are going to be adjusted. The transmission and differential fluid changed. The 'water in trunk' problem resolved. [hopefully] Fuel tank looked at and cleaned. [i'm guessing] AND the CD player put BACK into the car. [now that it's fixed - so they say] I'm also thinking of having the spark plugs replaced along with the fuel and air filters. If all works out as planned - my next 'thing' to do with be to get new tires. Still favouring the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's. [unless anyone here has anything negative to say about those tires]

Unfortunately, I may be able to shed some light on the fuel tank valve and charcoal cannister. At 70K miles I was unable to put gas in my 00 LS 400. The gas would just spray back out all over my hand or down onto the ground. I managed to dribble enough gas into the tank to get it do the dealer. After checking it out, he said that it needed a new valve ($56.37) and a new charcoal cannister ($385.29) plus $380 in labor to install. I would assume that both the valve and the cannister are located between the fuel filler door (nozzle opening) and the gas tank. I hope that you don't need these replaced any time soon.

You need to replace to Gas Cap Gasket because the rubber will get worn out (or dry up) and it will not seal up the gas tank! You could inspect the gasket for damages or the gasket needs to be replaced if you don't hear a hissing sound when open the Cap. I have this problem with my 1996 SC400, Check Engine and TRAC OFF Light! The code is PO441, so I just ordered the gasket from the dealer ($4.00) and will replace it myself. If this doesn't fix the problem I will have to replace the Charcoal canister (approximately $250 for part). By the way, it locates in the engine compactment (passenger side, firewall) for my SC400. It looks like a fuel filter, black and has two hose going in and out and a check valve on the bottom. Hope this answer your question! Thien.