Which Type Of Oil?

jcrome04

Just today a guy with a 1991 Chevy Silverado hit the 1,000,000 mile mark. A Chevy, for cryin' out loud! In the article, he attributes the fact that he changed the oil every 3,000 miles to the trucks problem-free 1,000,000 miles. Now, that says something to me. My uncle who is a 747 pilot for UPS, has cars that go 300k+, from Chrystlers to Volvos to Nakitakimohakis, to riding lawn mowers over 20 years of age, and he says "change the oil every 3-5k miles, if for anything to just check out the underside of the vehicle". Personally, long life oils don't sell me one bit, no matter how much scientific reportings support it. Just my personal opinion. Not knocking the proceedure, as I'm sure it's probably fine. But for me, history repeats itself time and time again. :D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080212/ap_on_...lion_mile_truck

And how much did he waste in time, over 300+ oils changes (joke), used oil etc to save how much in wears doing this???? Being a pilot has nothing to do with aircraft longevity. When I worked on designing aircraft engines, they have more problems then you think. In fact, they require so much working on people would not fly if they knew.

I respect your opinion but you have nothing to show to support it (as opinions are). That is the problem with oil debates on this forum. No one supports it with out realworld data in their own car. That is why the 3 to 5K drains are a money maker for businesses; and it shows nothing. As I noted time and time again you can have a serious problem with the engine and 99.99% people think they funny drains will help save and engine.

I hope history does not repeat itself since as a population we are going in the wrong non-smarter direction.

And I respect yours, too. To each is his own when it comes to these threads. God knows we've had a few on here in the past. As a possible point of refrenece though, I will offer up my secretary's automotive skills, or lack there of. She has two Toyota vehicles, an older Sienna van, and a 9 month old Solera convertible. She drives back and forth from Georgia at least twice a month, so she racks up the miles. She asked me a few months ago why her new Solera has a warning light on. So, I went down to check it out, figuring it was something stupid, as those Soleras are sweet machines "my folks have one too". I started the car, it didn't sound as smooth as I remembered, the light came on...it was the "time to change the oil" light. I asked her how long it had been on, and she said for a while. I noticed the odometer read 10+k miles, and got a nasty little wif of exhaust, turned around and saw a little cloud of blue smoke hanging in the air behind us. I asked her "when was the last time you had the oil changed?" She said "never, I never change the oil until around the 15k mark, i think it's a rip off".

Long story short, the Sienna smokes like a Chong-wagon, and now her Solera is blowing puff of smoke at startup. I told her to take it to the dealership for at least an oil change, and make sure they use synthetic. I followed her to the Toyota dealer so she could drop off the car. The service guy I've gotten to know since buying the 4Runner came up to me in the lobby and asked me again "has she really never changed the oil yet?" I said "nope, wait until you see her minivan". He shook his head and walked away.

They now call here once every 90 days to check up on her.

And I respect yours, too. To each is his own when it comes to these threads. God knows we've had a few on here in the past. As a possible point of refrenece though, I will offer up my secretary's automotive skills, or lack there of. She has two Toyota vehicles, an older Sienna van, and a 9 month old Solera convertible. She drives back and forth from Georgia at least twice a month, so she racks up the miles. She asked me a few months ago why her new Solera has a warning light on. So, I went down to check it out, figuring it was something stupid, as those Soleras are sweet machines "my folks have one too". I started the car, it didn't sound as smooth as I remembered, the light came on...it was the "time to change the oil" light. I asked her how long it had been on, and she said for a while. I noticed the odometer read 10+k miles, and got a nasty little wif of exhaust, turned around and saw a little cloud of blue smoke hanging in the air behind us. I asked her "when was the last time you had the oil changed?" She said "never, I never change the oil until around the 15k mark, i think it's a rip off".

Long story short, the Sienna smokes like a Chong-wagon, and now her Solera is blowing puff of smoke at startup. I told her to take it to the dealership for at least an oil change, and make sure they use synthetic. I followed her to the Toyota dealer so she could drop off the car. The service guy I've gotten to know since buying the 4Runner came up to me in the lobby and asked me again "has she really never changed the oil yet?" I said "nope, wait until you see her minivan". He shook his head and walked away.

LOL I hope she's better at shorthand and filing than she is at taking care of her cars

So a woman who has no clue on oils went way over even a synthetic oil drain is in reference too what? If shows nothing but a woman who knows little on this subject. Again, the 3 or 5,000 miles are short of a money maker. 7,500 is what most call for using DINO oil. Most do not even read their book or know what they are "recommended" to do; not required. As your story as shown.

As I noted before using FOS, MTBF even the 7,500 is a thumb suck. Dino oil will last way over what businesses pimp (to make money). I can go almost triple that and be fine using Amsoil ASM. Look at my older posts for pix and UOA to proved data for that. That is based on UOA's, not a dummy manual nor based on non-functional real-world data. Hell, in the right car, Halovine can go almost 10K miles!

Then again, most people do not change there pcv, etc items and that is why they have problems, not oil.

Again, the 3 and 5K are there to make money; not to prevent anything. My point still stands, I have yet to see only one (here) that shows anything to support why they change there oil at some intervals and use some oil. The rest are blindly going at some interval and think they are fine. Why dump and oil that is only 60% used? As noted before, test the oil at the normal internal you THINK you need to. 100 to 1 you are wasting money. This is not even brand related. It still blows my mind that people spend all this money on cars and will not spend $20 to see what or how their engine is running and the bonus is oil duration/performance. But Lexus will wash your car for free for $129 for an oil change….<sad>

So a woman who has no clue on oils went way over even a synthetic oil drain is in reference too what? If shows nothing but a woman who knows little on this subject. Again, the 3 or 5,000 miles are short of a money maker. 7,500 is what most call for using DINO oil. Most do not even read their book or know what they are "recommended" to do; not required. As your story as shown.

As I noted before using FOS, MTBF even the 7,500 is a thumb suck. Dino oil will last way over what businesses pimp (to make money). I can go almost triple that and be fine using Amsoil ASM. Look at my older posts for pix and UOA to proved data for that. That is based on UOA's, not a dummy manual nor based on non-functional real-world data. Hell, in the right car, Halovine can go almost 10K miles!

Then again, most people do not change there pcv, etc items and that is why they have problems, not oil.

Again, the 3 and 5K are there to make money; not to prevent anything. My point still stands, I have yet to see only one (here) that shows anything to support why they change there oil at some intervals and use some oil. The rest are blindly going at some interval and think they are fine. Why dump and oil that is only 60% used? As noted before, test the oil at the normal internal you THINK you need to. 100 to 1 you are wasting money. This is not even brand related. It still blows my mind that people spend all this money on cars and will not spend $20 to see what or how their engine is running and the bonus is oil duration/performance. But Lexus will wash your car for free for $129 for an oil change….<sad>

Chief, I'm only passing along experiences I've had and seen that pertain to oil changes. Most people simply don't give two shakes of a dead donkey's !Removed! about testing their oils and such, they just want to know what's a good oil to use, when to use it, and move on. I've posted the article about the guy with the Chevy hitting 1,000,000 miles with regular oil changes, I've posted stories about my mechanically inclined uncle who takes great care of his vehicles for several hundreds of thousands of miles, and I've passed along what a new Toyota with 10,000 miles on the same oil acts like. I got nothing else. The only dummy, wasteful, and stupid thing about when to change your oil, is going too long, period. My story is not about some girl who hasn't a clue, it's about a brand spanking new car with 10k on the clock already blowing blue smoke from the tail pipe, due to worn out oil. That's it, that's all, nothing more, nothing less. Me personally? If I'm going to spend $20 on something, it's going to come in a box, container, wrapper, with a receipt and generate positive results. To me, paying someone $20 bucks to tell me if I'm ready for an oil change seems more wasteful, then just getting it changed for $35 bucks in the first place, and then I KNOW it's good oil.

You do your thing, and I'll do mine. I don't know Amsoil, don't really care to. If it isn't readily available to me, then I don't need it. Too many other viable options out there.

Chief, I'm only passing along experiences I've had and seen that pertain to oil changes. Most people simply don't give two shakes of a dead donkey's !Removed! about testing their oils and such, they just want to know what's a good oil to use, when to use it, and move on. I've posted the article about the guy with the Chevy hitting 1,000,000 miles with regular oil changes, I've posted stories about my mechanically inclined uncle who takes great care of his vehicles for several hundreds of thousands of miles, and I've passed along what a new Toyota with 10,000 miles on the same oil acts like. I got nothing else. The only dummy, wasteful, and stupid thing about when to change your oil, is going too long, period. My story is not about some girl who hasn't a clue, it's about a brand spanking new car with 10k on the clock already blowing blue smoke from the tail pipe, due to worn out oil. That's it, that's all, nothing more, nothing less. Me personally? If I'm going to spend $20 on something, it's going to come in a box, container, wrapper, with a receipt and generate positive results. To me, paying someone $20 bucks to tell me if I'm ready for an oil change seems more wasteful, then just getting it changed for $35 bucks in the first place, and then I KNOW it's good oil.

You do your thing, and I'll do mine. I don't know Amsoil, don't really care to. If it isn't readily available to me, then I don't need it. Too many other viable options out there.

NC, I totally agree with your statement, I couldn't have said it any better. :cheers:

Okay, what is a good oil if you do not test it! LMAO! The post on the chevy person means jack sh%T as I posted.

Your post and others is still full of BS since you still FAIL to support what is a good oil and good drain. You lack data along with 99 % on this thread. That is a fact. If not, show me.

The people that support your lack of data post are the same ones that have nothing to support what is good or not.

As your posts before and after still show you have no skill on UOA, oils etc and UOA's main reason why they are designed.

So $35 is a good oil; based on what? Sales manual? You have no clue what is good. I know my $40 is good since I have data to support it; that is something you lack.

If you are going to debate it on a forum, at least have YOUR own data and supporting evidence. Not stories about others. I have posted that the guys had over 300+ oils changes and had no idea if they where needed and your uncle, pilot, means nothing in terms of maintance. I know JSF 135 and Raptor pilots and they would not change they oil either.

I change my oil based on manufacturers recommendation in the book, plain and simple.

I have to agree with mburnicklas that even the manual is overcautious about when to change oil, but that doesn;t matter to me... They're recommendations are there to ensure longevity, and good longevity at that, so if it is overcautious I am fine with that, as I am sometime overcautious with my vehicles as well... (not scared, don;t get me wrong).

The one thing alot of people haven't touched on in this thread is time between changes rather than always discussing miles//kilometers only.

Back in my younger days as a "Jet mechanic"(oooooooo, aaaaaaaa) we changed oil everytime our check sheets told us to. There was never room for "letting it go longer because it could". Transport Canada, the FAA, JAA, as well as engine manufacturers like GE, Rolls Royce, and Pratt all want the oil changed at a very conservative time limit because it is the best defense against catastrophy in the sky (Turbine bearing failure). I understand this is different than vehicles, but the fundamentals are the same. Use what the manufacturer recommends (and they recommend by mil spec, not brand....there is mill spec on the back of auto-oil as well), and change it whent he manufacturer recommends changing it.

UOA tests as you call them were commonplace, but we never got to review the readings. The results were sent to higher-ups, as well as the engine manufacturers.

My data is the market, which encompasses all of those people on here and in the world that have very high mileage cars, who change their oil around the 3k-5k mark, and seem to have very few problems. That is all the data I need amigo. I'm not saying your way is wrong either, but it isn't the only way. True, I haven't a clue about all of your fancy testing phrases and such, I'm not in the oil business, or a mechanic by trade. But I do know rule #1 when it comes to figuring things out.... LISTEN! And when the vast majority of success stories for high mileage cars reverts back to the same story "I changed my oil every 3 to 5k miles"... well, it's pretty easy to figure out.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, well, it probably ain't a horse.

Again, you have your way, I have mine. Who cares?? Sorry if you don't trust me enough to accept my life experiences as "data". That's your problem, not mine. You won't convince me of your way, and I won't convince you of mine...so it's a stalemate, up for decision by those who read this with hopes of answering the question "with type of oil?"

Give my best to Mavrick, Goose & Iceman.

Viper, out... B)

I can't believe people get so bent out of shape over someone else's opinion. Especially just about oil...

When I change my oil I'm not going to "test" it. That to me seems like a waste of time. Even if it takes 5 seconds. I could use the 5 seconds to kiss my gf or something.

I also would trust the market. I know NOTHING about "UOAs" but I think Mobil1 is a great oil. Sorry, I have no reason other than the market for that preference, and so do a lot of other people. Plus I will change my oil every 3k miles (non synth). and if I ever decide to change to synthetic, I will probably go 5k miles. To me it's better to be safe than sorry. I want my LS400 to last AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.

These are just PERSONAL opinions so I hope nobody's panties are in a bunch over it! :D

and if they are....then I guess thats too bad.

My point is how do you or anyone knows 3 to 5K is not good enough or okay? I would not guess my car on the market or anything that is not based on my car and its’ real world performance. The market is crap…look at the mortgage market…LOL. The general public, in my eyes, is not the best way to base anything.

I am not throwing stones but people are using nothing short of guessing; as noted before. Why is 5K good, maybe 4,999 miles is better. Maybe not? Maybe 5,100 is best? People really have no clue unless they SEE the real data in THEIR car!

But I use real data to support my "engine" and I can clearly see the engine wear #'s, oil data, longevity based on this. If people want to base it on a market of blinding guessing, have at it. 1000 to 1 you are wasting manpower, resources, money and un-needed filters. But on the flip side the UOA and longer drains have been used for years. Most cannot except that nor understand that; as this thread has shown. Just what I have seen time and time again. Hell, I used to do the same 3K miles then I learned about oil and what is better. Then I said in 10K miles do I want to change over 3X or once and the 1-time will get better UOA (lower acids in oils, lower wears, low NOX, Lower TAN, higher TBN, etc). Never mind the cost decrease too.

I am not mad etc. I just cannot stand it when most base drains on manuals, books, opinions etc. People on here NEVER base it on concrete data and not someone else since that is poor. I can show (and have before) two model Lexus's, same duration and mine had over 3X the miles and all, that is ALL wears where lower. That means better engine longevity, performance etc. I design army trucks and the manuals have so much padding it is funny. It is a total waste but it is design/stated to save the company. As noted before, so do or major diesel manufactures.

Then people say Mobil 1 is a great oil, compared to what? Based on what? The market is most times based on sales propaganda, where sold in stores etc. So some will go 3K on dino and now 5K on syn. Based on what? How did that # come about? That is my point. How did you come up with these #'s? Based on clueless market? Better safe then sorry? Based on what? What if you could go 5.500 miles and you are fine?

I am not even using brands here. Just to maximize engine longevity, performance, save YOU PEOPLE money use UOA to see how engine is performing and see how engine oil is doing.

PEACE OUT! :)

Guy's,

I really don't understand why these oil (and tranny fluid) threads seem to turn into an arguement all the time?.....it's a broken record!!!

All this info has been covered so many times that no additional useful info has been provided for anyone here.

THREAD CLOSED.