Adding Bluetooth To 2004 Gx470

johnhinesaz

I recently bought a Parrot Bluetooth kit for my 04 GX. There are some plug and play solutions out there for $60 or so, but they seem to have a big drawback (other than an extra $60)... The ML system with Nav does not have a mute wire. Evidently the mute command is a signal that is sent to the system instead of a wire that just goes to ground when mute is needed. The plug and play kits simply cut off power to the head unit when a call comes in. From what I hear, you then have to go through the "I agree" button again after the call is terminated. Bother!

So here is how I plan to do it. There is a gray wire going into the amp that I am pretty sure goes to the ACC fuse. This wire gives me 12v when the key is in the Acc or on position and nothing when the key is off. The rear audio channels in the parrot kit are wired through a relay that simply cuts them off when a call is answered. I want to just cut the gray wire and run it through the rear right parrot connection. This relay is normally closed and so the amp should work normally until a call is answered.

My question is: Is this gray wire what I think it is and is it safe to relay it like this? It is not a very heavy gauge wire and doesn't seem like it could be carrying much current so I don't think I will overload anything with the parrot relay. Is there any reason I should not do this?

Also, to complete the procedure in case anyone else is interested in doing this:

The kit is a Parrot CK3100.

The microphone is placed at the top of the A-pillar and fits very nicely there. The cable is easily hidden in the trim.

The front speaker connections on the parrot kit are a relay to cut out the stereo when a call comes in and connect the bluetooth audio out. I connected the front left connections from the parrot kit to the center channel speaker which is easily accessible once you pull out the screen/head unit. So the center channel is now also my phone speaker.

I connected the +12v constant lead to the trailer brake harness which is located under the dash. There is a nice, big constant wire in that connector.

I connected the switched +12v wire and the ground wire to the cigarette lighter connection.

The control box for the bluetooth fits very well behind the screen.

The LCD and control buttons are located on the center console to the left of the gear shifter so I can easily see the screen and answer calls.

So it all works well except for muting the audio.

If anyone can tell me whether cutting the gray amp wire and relaying it is safe for this purpose, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

I just had the Raytel 4200 installed in my 2004 GX470 and could not be happier. They even managed to connect it to the volume down button so when calls come in or go out the stereo turns itself down.

http://www.tellphone.com/index.php?option=...&Itemid=142

Raytel is now TellPhone

The newer 5000VI system uses your navigation screen as it's display system. VERY SHARP!

http://www.tellphone.com/index.php?option=...&Itemid=222

post-58801-1202404271_thumb.jpg

post-58801-1202404279_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
How much was that Raytel system w/ installation?

John does that Parrot system display the in coming call on the nav screen?

No, the Parrot has it's own LCD screen that displays the number of incoming calls. It doesn't integrate with the NAV LCD.

Also, I did end up relaying the gray wire into the amp to cause a mute of the audio system when a call comes in . It works perfectly.

I ended up moving the display/control up onto the dash, just above the hazard switch. Easier to see and operate there. just hid the wire behind the left trim panel.

Still very happy with the Parrot setup.

• 2 years later...

I just had the Raytel 4200 installed in my 2004 GX470 and could not be happier. They even managed to connect it to the volume down button so when calls come in or go out the stereo turns itself down.

http://www.tellphone.com/index.php?option=...&Itemid=142

Raytel is now TellPhone

The newer 5000VI system uses your navigation screen as it's display system. VERY SHARP!

http://www.tellphone.com/index.php?option=...&Itemid=222

Any idea where a guy can get this 5000VI system for a 2004 GX? Thanks