93 Sc400 - Sell Or Fix

C-Ro

I currently have 2 cars. My daily commuter is a 1998 Infiniti QX4 (70k miles), with my second car being a 1993 SC 400 (134k miles). I purchased the Lexus from my brother a year ago for a deep, deep discounted price of $2,000. I love driving the car, however, I am trying to gauge whether or not this car is financially worth holding onto. I was hoping this community would be able to offer some advice/guidance on this.

The SC 400 has a few modifications, but nothing spectacular.

*Sound System: Completely upgraded. All speakers upgraded, I killed the Nakamichi Premium Amp when a cooler in the trunk leaked and had it replaced with a California 1000W. There is also a 10" custom box in the trunk powered by a 1200W California AMP. Sirius Satellite is installed as well.

*Injen Intake installed about 6 months ago

There are a few issues as well. Some are a minor annoyance, although there are several that make me curious as to how long this car will last.

*It sounds like one of the front wheels creak when I go over a bump. Bumps also tend to make the steering slightly erratic as well for a moment. Research on these forums point to bushings or a lower control arm that needs replacement. (Between $300 & $1000?)

*When the engine has been warmed up the car has issues starting. It tends to stall out, however, I can prevent this 95% of the time by quickly revving the engine to about 2k RPMs. Research on these forums point to a IACV issue. I've had this car at different mechanics (Non-Lexus) who hadn't been able to solve this issue. Have replaced spark plugs/cold start ignitor. Afraid this may only get worse in the future.. ($400 - $900?)

*Passenger Window moves veeerry slowly (regulator?) Not that big of a deal

*Tires and Brakes will need to be replaced in the spring

*134,000 miles

*Coolant and AC fluid leak

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to fix this up and hold onto it, or if I should sell it and save up for my next whip. I love the features this car has and fear that, even with a brand spanking new $35,000 car, I won't get the same quality as found in the Lexus SC 400 (It was a $55,000 car at the time). At the same time, however, I don't want to pump money into something that is only going to have more problems further down the line. Any suggestions/advice? Any help would be appreciated!

What I am considering as options down the line:

Keep both cars

Sell both and get an All-wheel drive sports car (in 2009)

Sell both and get a used wrangler and used RWD coupe (in 2009)

Sell the lexus only and save up for a new RWD coupe. (in 2009)

I say just drive it til it dies if u don't want to spend anymore money on the car. Otherwise, if u can't live with the difficult starting issues, at least get that part fixed. Like u said, possibly an IACV. I have the same creaking issue over bumps, and I took someone's suggestion and sprayed silicone lube on the bushings and it seemed to help a lot. I would look into the coolant leak also so u don't get stranded on the side of the road. That fix could might you some money.

My final thought is that even if u spent another two to three thousand dollars, you are still at the break even point if the car is running great when u decide to get rid of it. Any more money, and u may be dumping in money only for the love of the Lexus.

I currently have 2 cars. My daily commuter is a 1998 Infiniti QX4 (70k miles), with my second car being a 1993 SC 400 (134k miles). I purchased the Lexus from my brother a year ago for a deep, deep discounted price of $2,000. I love driving the car, however, I am trying to gauge whether or not this car is financially worth holding onto. I was hoping this community would be able to offer some advice/guidance on this.

The SC 400 has a few modifications, but nothing spectacular.

*Sound System: Completely upgraded. All speakers upgraded, I killed the Nakamichi Premium Amp when a cooler in the trunk leaked and had it replaced with a California 1000W. There is also a 10" custom box in the trunk powered by a 1200W California AMP. Sirius Satellite is installed as well.

*Injen Intake installed about 6 months ago

There are a few issues as well. Some are a minor annoyance, although there are several that make me curious as to how long this car will last.

*It sounds like one of the front wheels creak when I go over a bump. Bumps also tend to make the steering slightly erratic as well for a moment. Research on these forums point to bushings or a lower control arm that needs replacement. (Between $300 & $1000?)

*When the engine has been warmed up the car has issues starting. It tends to stall out, however, I can prevent this 95% of the time by quickly revving the engine to about 2k RPMs. Research on these forums point to a IACV issue. I've had this car at different mechanics (Non-Lexus) who hadn't been able to solve this issue. Have replaced spark plugs/cold start ignitor. Afraid this may only get worse in the future.. ($400 - $900?)

*Passenger Window moves veeerry slowly (regulator?) Not that big of a deal

*Tires and Brakes will need to be replaced in the spring

*134,000 miles

*Coolant and AC fluid leak

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to fix this up and hold onto it, or if I should sell it and save up for my next whip. I love the features this car has and fear that, even with a brand spanking new $35,000 car, I won't get the same quality as found in the Lexus SC 400 (It was a $55,000 car at the time). At the same time, however, I don't want to pump money into something that is only going to have more problems further down the line. Any suggestions/advice? Any help would be appreciated!

What I am considering as options down the line:

Keep both cars

Sell both and get an All-wheel drive sports car (in 2009)

Sell both and get a used wrangler and used RWD coupe (in 2009)

Sell the lexus only and save up for a new RWD coupe. (in 2009)

You may want to look at the Hydraulic Cooling Fan Pump LEXUS SC400 ( on 92 93 94 models)

I have a 92 :cheers: with a similar problem. also having to replace the Surpen.tensioner with pulley and (since there are so many parts taken off) replace the water pump. I am having to do this now. Cost >$1000. Check for the replacement parts for C. FAn Pump. My dealer in GA said the shaft is about to be discontinued {wonder how he knows that??} but the spaces and other internals are fairly cheap. :cheers:

You may want to look at the Hydraulic Cooling Fan Pump LEXUS SC400 ( on 92 93 94 models)

I have a 92 :cheers: with a similar problem. also having to replace the Surpen.tensioner with pulley and (since there are so many parts taken off) replace the water pump. I am having to do this now. Cost >$1000. Check for the replacement parts for C. FAn Pump. My dealer in GA said the shaft is about to be discontinued {wonder how he knows that??} but the spaces and other internals are fairly cheap. :cheers:

Thanks for the info. After tax season (i'm an accountant & don't have much free time right now), I plan on taking the car to my buddy's brother who just got his own shop. I figure putting $2,000 into the car wouldn't be too bad, because it only cost me 2,000 to buy. If I can fix the starting issue I can probably sell the car for a much higher price. I'm a little cautious though because several people told me to stay away from putting into it. With it being an old car with a lot of technology there is room for many things to go wrong, but I am willing to risk it if I can get another year or two out of the car. The longer I can make it last without spending, the more I can save up for a newer car.

Mine has problems starting in the morning when the car is cold, someone told me it could be the cold start valve/ignitor and im wonder what is the "IACV?" Could that be my problem? I dont even know what the abrieviations stand for. Also im havin problems with my windows going up after i roll em down, could that be the motor or a relay or something? Just a lil while ago i went outside to crank it so i could attempt to roll the windows up and it took awhile to start (on cold as i mentioned above), but this time it "jumped," then it started, that wouldnt be the timing jumping or blowin the head gasket would it? Im also looking for a hose diagram as i have two hoses (the skinny ones that are on top of the motor by this intake) that arent connected and its been like that since i got the car (2 months ago) and im wondering if its for the fuel mixing or vacuum and if that could be the problem for my cold starts and maybe the "jumping," which really has me concerned right now so if anyone could help me id apprciate it, thanx all!

Thanks for the info. After tax season (i'm an accountant & don't have much free time right now), I plan on taking the car to my buddy's brother who just got his own shop. I figure putting $2,000 into the car wouldn't be too bad, because it only cost me 2,000 to buy. If I can fix the starting issue I can probably sell the car for a much higher price. I'm a little cautious though because several people told me to stay away from putting into it. With it being an old car with a lot of technology there is room for many things to go wrong, but I am willing to risk it if I can get another year or two out of the car. The longer I can make it last without spending, the more I can save up for a newer car.

I might be able to help you out if you are willing to drive into Jersey.I just opened shop and specialize in Toyota/Lexus..Worked for them for 22 years--Factory certified master and all that good stuff..I actually own a 93 SC400 as well so I know these cars very well...All work is gauranteed 12 months or 12000 miles..And I only use OEM parts......Give me a call on my business line---973-291-6996

Dave

www.toyautoservice.com

I have a 92 :cheers: with a similar problem. also having to replace the Surpen.tensioner with pulley and (since there are so many parts taken off) replace the water pump. I am having to do this now. Cost >$1000. Check for the replacement parts for C. FAn Pump. My dealer in GA said the shaft is about to be discontinued {wonder how he knows that??} but the spaces and other internals are fairly cheap.:cheers:

I might be able to help you out if you are willing to drive into Jersey.I just opened shop and specialize in Toyota/Lexus..Worked for them for 22 years--Factory certified master and all that good stuff..I actually own a 93 SC400 as well so I know these cars very well...All work is gauranteed 12 months or 12000 miles..And I only use OEM parts......Give me a call on my business line---973-291-6996

Dave

www.toyautoservice.com