The New Hyundai Genesis V8 Luxury Sedan.... How Well Will It Compete?

90LS400Lexus

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I am wondering everyones opinions on this new car coming out Spring 08' from Hyundai. It will feature a 4.6L V8 engine, which is Hyundais first V8 and it will be rear wheel drive. Reminds me of 1989 when Toyotas first V8 came out in a Lexus. Honda/Acura has yet to come out with a V8. :rolleyes:

So far, the reviews seem good and it looks like a nice and well-built automobile. Reports show it will be trying to target Lexus, Acura, BMW, Mercedes, etc. The price looks very attractive... Base price starting @ $30K, but when I first saw it, I was thinking it was going to be like a $50K car. :whistles:

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

and

this site shows the Korean concept....

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...dai-genesis.htm

I am sure it will have the 10 year/100K mile warranty.

I guess time will tell how well this car will compete and just how grand it is. Its nice to see more luxury sedans coming out from Japanese car makes that did not offer them before. Hyundai has offered larger luxury cars for awhile now... starting with the XG300 (or something like that) and now the Azera. I wish Honda would come out with a large luxury car to compete with cars like the Toyota Avalon and Nissan Maxima AND a large Acura sedan offering a V8 engine and perhaps RWD. <_<

It looks great! It will compete well against the Avalon, Camry, etc.

It will not compete successfully with Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc in America since its branded as a Hyundai. We've seen GREAT cars that are excellent values not succeed (read, the VW Phaeton) simply because they aren't luxury branded. Nobody who a luxury marque appeals to is going to buy a car that would be serviced alongside a Hyundai Accent. I wouldn't.

Hyundai should have launched a luxury division with this car.

Its nice to see more luxury sedans coming out from Japanese car makes that did not offer them before.

Hyundai is Korean, not Japanese ;)

Exactly, The Phaeton was pretty sweet for a VW, but who wants to pay like $100g for a VW???

I think you're right in saying it will compete more with the camry and accord...

I think people that are in the market for a high end luxury car want the marquee to go along with it.

The Genesis looks pretty cool and will open a lot of people up to a nice large powerful sedan by making it affordable.

lol... I know. I meant to put that seperate when I was "wishing" Honda would come out with a V8 large car.... my bad. :whistles: :)

Its nice to see more luxury sedans coming out from Japanese car makes that did not offer them before.

Yeah, they should have came up with a different division. From what I have gathered, it will replace the current Azera sedan, since the Azeras now being sold seem to be sold as 2007 models. I went to Hyundais site and the Azera is being called a 2007 model.

Funny it will compete with Accords and Camrys, but when you think about it, a loaded up Accord EX V6 or Camry XLE V6 nears the $30K mark. This car looks more luxurious than that price range. I agree with you, it seems to be more in line with an Avalon or Maxima. I just wonder when Honda will come out with a car to compete more in this range. The Accord is a fairly large car- competing with the Camry/Altima, but the Avalon / Maxima are larger. Honda needs a large luxury sedan. When I see the new Acura RL, I think it should be called a Honda something and have Honda badges and compete with Avalon and Maxima and Honda come up with a LARGE RWD car to really compete with the Lexus LS and Mercedes S-Class. The Acura RL is a nice car for sure, but to me, it seems like the car is getting smaller. The 96-04 Acura RLs seemed much larger and more like a luxury car, rather than a sports car, which is how the new RL appears to me personally. <_<

I wish hyundai the best.... although I agree they should have launched a new brand and maybe paired it with a luxury SUV.. some competition always helps to keep the other makes on their toes.

This does remind of back in 86 when honda's acura division came on the scene. People were skeptical of a non-economy minded japanese car. And then of couse in 90 lexus and infiniti totally upped the ante by, offering 32 valve v-8s (gasp!) powered cars and totally changing the notions of quality (lexus mosly, infiniti not-so-much)

Mazda in the 90's was considering launching a luxury brand, but then abandoned the idea and ended up selling the millenia under the mazda label.

... as far as comments about the Acura RL... My folks have one... it's a great car, certainly up to lexus standards, but it's V6 only has like 260 torque so its probably only comparable to v-6 powered GS in size and power. Honda really need to get a V8... the challenge for them will be trying to develop the tranny to go with it. Honda automatic trannies have a poor reliability history.... (Google recalls on TLs, MDX's, Oddyseys, Pilot's etc..)

I have a question, how can they afford to sell it for so little? If it has everything a lexus does and has the same reliability etc, how can it sell for so much less?

No VDIM, No traction control system, no electronic transmission controls, and I hate to say it, no real advancements. When you look at the entire design of the car, it's all stuff everyone else is already doing. So when your not paying for real R&D, and introducing innovative and new technology, your not going to have to spend as much. As opposed to Nissan ( the new GTR, awsome!!!), Toyota (the new IS F, again awsome!!), and some other manufacturers that are right now working on new advancements. Hyundia has made a living off old technology so far. I really think that's why they aren't badging as a new luxury line. As then they would have to and be expected to. They only have this one car right now. A new badge would entail atleast 3 or 4 models to be able to support the new division.

I think this is a test the waters step for them. The problem is as we all know. We don't spend 30k + on our cars just because it's a good value. That's what the Toyota, Nissan and Honda are for. We buy thse cars for the status, the associations, like this website, and many other quality boards, quality, and the confidence in that quality that has been built over the years. All of which I just haven't seen in the Hyundai bag.

Not sure what VDIM is, but according to one site I looked at, it does have electronic shift transmission controls. I did see on their site that it has a 6-speed automatic transmission with shifttronic. Also on the link to the their website I posted, it states that it has traction control, as well as electronic stability control and electronic brake force distribution/brake assist. Not sure if that is what you are referring to or not. It also says it has "front active lighting system (whatever that is), as well as rearview camera.

Its on the link here under "specs".

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

No VDIM, No traction control system, no electronic transmission controls, and I hate to say it, no real advancements. When you look at the entire design of the car, it's all stuff everyone else is already doing.

It looks great! It will compete well against the Avalon, Camry, etc.

It will not compete successfully with Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc in America since its branded as a Hyundai. We've seen GREAT cars that are excellent values not succeed (read, the VW Phaeton) simply because they aren't luxury branded. Nobody who a luxury marque appeals to is going to buy a car that would be serviced alongside a Hyundai Accent. I wouldn't.

Couldn't agree more Steve! Well said. Hyundai was sitting on the fence for a while a few years back debating as to whether to launch their own luxury division...I think they should have done it personally.

Very nice looking car.......but that Hyundai badge is killer when comparing it to the big boys.

:cheers:

Remember that Lexus started with one car, the LS400, and a slightly warmed over Toyota Camry, the ES250. Nothing new or groundbreaking, just an extremely well built car with features and quality not available anywhere else for the price.

And thats what this car seems to be.

Mark my words, these guys at Hyundai are serious about this.

Remember that Lexus started with one car, the LS400, and a slightly warmed over Toyota Camry, the ES250. Nothing new or groundbreaking, just an extremely well built car with features and quality not available anywhere else for the price.

And thats what this car seems to be.

Mark my words, these guys at Hyundai are serious about this.

Well of course they are serious. But in business, we all know, timing is everything. Back then, luxury was viewed as a completely different ideology as it is today. Back then you had huge Cadillacs, monster Lincolns and big Mercedes Benzes. You could steer a 4400 lb. car with your pinkey, and steering feedback was like the blind trying to read a newstand magazine. Acura, Lexus and Infinity weren't trying to make a Cadillac, they developed a whole new perception of luxury. And we were primed for it. We had budget, small cheap and underpowered, or we huge floating goliaths with not much to choose from inbetween.

If Hyundai were to make this car and fully loaded it was like say 25k, and base model started around 19 or 20K, then it would fit into thier image. I'm not exactly sure what the base model sells for, and what a fully loaded version sells for, but if it starts at 30K and finishes at say 36k, I hate to say it, but you would be a fool to buy it considering the company that is in.

There are plenty of near-luxury cars that cost $36k. What can you buy thats $36k, has a 380hp V8 and RWD and is fully loaded with luxury features normally found in $50k plus cars? Absolutely nothing. You can buy a Chrysler 300C, a car that has done very well but is lacking in refinement and interior quality andfeatures. $36k won't even get you an ES350 with nav!

Thats right in line with top of the line Camries, Accords, Avalons, etc. Those are the cars this car is going to compete with.

It may hurt Lexus, BMW, et al sales by keeping buyers from ever buying up into those marques, but lets be real. Nobody's going to sell their Lexus or BMW for a Hyundai.

I could see a Camry owner considering a move up to an ES350 or GS350 considering this car, very seriously.

There are plenty of near-luxury cars that cost $36k. What can you buy thats $36k, has a 380hp V8 and RWD and is fully loaded with luxury features normally found in $50k plus cars? Absolutely nothing. You can buy a Chrysler 300C, a car that has done very well but is lacking in refinement and interior quality andfeatures. $36k won't even get you an ES350 with nav!

Thats right in line with top of the line Camries, Accords, Avalons, etc. Those are the cars this car is going to compete with.

It may hurt Lexus, BMW, et al sales by keeping buyers from ever buying up into those marques, but lets be real. Nobody's going to sell their Lexus or BMW for a Hyundai.

I could see a Camry owner considering a move up to an ES350 or GS350 considering this car, very seriously.

So, when are you planning to move up to the new Hyundai? :)

No, I wouldn't be interested in owning a Hyundai, I enjoy the ownership experience of the Lexus too much.

BUT I've already experienced and bought into the brand, thats what I'm saying. If you were in a Camry or Accord and you had NOT bought into the brand of a luxury marque yet, I could see you very seriously considering this car. That may be their plan with an eventual rollout of a luxury brand down the line.

No, I wouldn't be interested in owning a Hyundai, I enjoy the ownership experience of the Lexus too much.

BUT I've already experienced and bought into the brand, thats what I'm saying. If you were in a Camry or Accord and you had NOT bought into the brand of a luxury marque yet, I could see you very seriously considering this car. That may be their plan with an eventual rollout of a luxury brand down the line.

LOL!! I'm glad your honest.

But I still think there is more to it than that. It's all about reputation and quality. When Toyota, Nissan and Honda went Luxo, they had that to point at. Tell me where Hyundai has a reputation of quality and innovation? In every magazine I have ever read, they are allways sucking wind and getting bad reviews. So much so that most don't even review them anymore. If I bought a 14K car and a handle broke off, well, ok, or a swtich went out or there was a strange buzz in the plastic. But for 36K, the fitment had better be on, and the feel had better be good. I'm talking in the interface areas. Last year, Hyundai didn't finish in the top of any catagory, and now in one year, they expect people to forget all that and shovel 36K out for 380 hp? That might get a few kids to look at the car, and maybe a few adults that don't know any better. But most are familiar with the Hyundai name. I just don't know of alot of people who feel trading inthier current car is a trade up for a Hyundai. Never mind the model. It's the Hyundai name. I have freinds that drive Dodge Stratus's that feel it's a down grade to a Hyundai!! Come on.

You have to remember there was a time, not that long ago, that Toyota was not regarded well at all in terms of quality.

All I can say is times have changed. Modern Hyundais are excellent cars. Read some of the new reviews and articles, go drive some of them. They are making very, very good cars. If I were buying a midmarket car like a Camry or Accord, I would seriously look at a Hyundai and thats no joke. I know people who own modern ones and I've driven a bunch of them. They're very good cars and the prices are great. The Sonata is a great car and so is the Azera.

Give it time. Every year they do better in all the categories and their sales increase. They'll get there. If they build this car outfitted like that at that price, they will take buyers away From Toyota and Honda. Thats a fact.

I say I wouldn't go buy a Hyundai, but I wouldn't go buy a Honda or Toyota either. I'm just not looking for a car like that, I'd rather drive my old Lexus.

We aren't talking real truth here, we are talking about the perception of truth. Never mind that Hyundai is a good or bad quality of car. SW, your in real estate yes?, so when a client says they drive a BMW, or a Lexus, you can't help but conjure or associate that with an image. And when they say they drive a Hyundai, what image comes to mind? That's what I'm talking about. It's that image in your head as your signing papers for a 36K car. I just think it's a touph sell. Maybe as the years go by. This model definatley will need a couple years of no issues, and great reviews, and btw, awsome gas mileage as the V8's are not looking good for the future again as we grow accustomed to the higher price of gas and are realizing that it isn't going back down. All the other mfgrs are coming out with fuel efficient versions and hybrids. Hyundai introduces a brand new V8!!!! Timing. We'll see huh?

I really like the way the Genesis looks. It reminds me of an Infiniti. I hope it sells well! I'm really lovin' the refreshed '09 Sonata too! That's a great looking car! B)

In every magazine I have ever read, they are allways sucking wind and getting bad reviews. So much so that most don't even review them anymore.
Read the March 08 issue of Car and Driver. The Sonata scored better than the Camry. It sounds like you haven't driven a late model Hyundai based on your comments because they are quite nice. Go drive a new Sonata, you'll be impressed. I have to agree though that it will be tough for most people to pay $35k for a "Hyundai."

Honestly? As a real estate agent when I hear people drive BMWs and Lexuses I cringe because they're going to be more likely to be overextended.

The comparison is not between Hyundai and BMW or Lexus though. The comparison is between Hyundai and Toyota or Honda. When you're looking at a loaded Camry with FWD and a V6 or a loaded Genesis for the same money, RWD and a V8 with more features and a better warranty. They've already shown they can take buyers away from Toyota and Honda.

$36k is not an expensive car anymore.

Honestly? As a real estate agent when I hear people drive BMWs and Lexuses I cringe because they're going to be more likely to be overextended.

The comparison is not between Hyundai and BMW or Lexus though. The comparison is between Hyundai and Toyota or Honda. When you're looking at a loaded Camry with FWD and a V6 or a loaded Genesis for the same money, RWD and a V8 with more features and a better warranty. They've already shown they can take buyers away from Toyota and Honda.

$36k is not an expensive car anymore.

$36k is not an expensive car but for a Hyundai...Errr. :chairshot: I will admit that they have come a long way but you will not see me spend that on one anytime soon.

Funny thing is my neighbor's wife needed a new van she had a Honda, he drives a Toyota Truck. They ended up getting a Hyundai Entourage, surprised me he is a Dr. I was talking to him about it and he said he couldn't beat it...went on and on that the got this with everything for so much less than a Honda or Toyota. I just was like wow... He kind of poked fun at me that he would never spend that much money on a car like a Lexus or a Mercedes like me...now he surely is pulling in 6 figures no problem...given his wife stays at home but he lives pretty conservative. I just think to my self that you get what you pay for.

One week later I notice his wife driving a Honda CRV...so I asked him what happened. He said his wife absolutely hated the Hyundai and she told him she was not driving it anymore. She said it was uncomfortable, did not handle well, and I have always suspected felt cheap! Again...I was just like wow. He took the van back and took a good beaten on it. Now I really like this guy and he is a great neighbor...so I did not rub salt in the wound. I just said that Hondas are great vehicles.

My sister in law just picked up a 2008 Santa Fe Limited.....$40,000 (Canadian!) :blink: I took it for a drive & have to admit I was quite impressed overall......but it's no Lexus or Toyota. Not sure I would have dropped that kind of cash on a brand new Hyundai personally.....but I was able to swing her away from another Ford Escape. :D So I did my job lol.

Gotta like their warranty too.....hard to beat.

The Genesis is a nice looking ride.....but as mentioned earlier.......it will not have the cashe of the premium brands like Mercedes, BMW & Lexus. It does not look good if their flagship vehicle is sitting next to the Accent or Elantra in the showroom.....I'll put it that way. ;)

:cheers:

My dad and I kicked some tires one morning over Christmas, and we were stunned at the prices of Hyundais, just stunned. I agree with the comments made here by all. I can see where Hyundai would be a viable option against Toyota and Honda, but dang man, $36k for a new Hyundai? I think I'd have to seriously look at a mildly used Lexus or something like that for that kind of money, especially to avoid the probable depreciation hits I would assume Hyundai in general would get.

Granted, they do seem to be quite nice! But I agree that Hyundai needs more time to distance themselves from their past offerings before they're able to play at the high $30k levels. Sadly, I do agree with SWO that $36k isn't too expensive for a new car. But Hyundai historically, at those prices, would send me to the used car lot of my local Lexus dealer first, if for just the cache' of a Lexus over a Hyundai.

Does anyone know how Hyundai cars are doing in terms of holding their values? I haven't a clue...