Replaced Timing Belt/wp Now Won't Start

JoshS

I have a 1992 ES300 and I just replaced the timing belt and water pump and now the car won't start. It turns over but does not seem to try to start. I checked and it has spark. I tried to start it with the two ground wires by the engine torque bar disconnected (I forgot) but I have since reconnected them and it still will not start. Any ideas of what to look for? After I put the new TB on I rotated the crank 2 times and made sure that the cam timing was lined up so I don't think it is a timing issue.

I have a 1992 ES300 and I just replaced the timing belt and water pump and now the car won't start. It turns over but does not seem to try to start. I checked and it has spark. I tried to start it with the two ground wires by the engine torque bar disconnected (I forgot) but I have since reconnected them and it still will not start. Any ideas of what to look for? After I put the new TB on I rotated the crank 2 times and made sure that the cam timing was lined up so I don't think it is a timing issue.

If you can smell gas then your timing is probably off. Did you check both cams? The cam near the firewall is kind of tricky, it has a tendency to rock forward when the belt is being put on. I think its because at tdc its holding spring tension on the cam. Either way, pull the cover and make sure both cams are where they need to be, then you will know. I've been off 1 tooth with that cam gear and mine wouldn't start. Did you pull out any fuses before you started?

If you can smell gas then your timing is probably off. Did you check both cams? The cam near the firewall is kind of tricky, it has a tendency to rock forward when the belt is being put on. I think its because at tdc its holding spring tension on the cam. Either way, pull the cover and make sure both cams are where they need to be, then you will know. I've been off 1 tooth with that cam gear and mine wouldn't start. Did you pull out any fuses before you started?

I did not pull any fuses before starting and I do smell a bit of gas so hopefully you are right that I'm just off a tooth as that shouldn't be too had to fix. I guess I should pull off the upper timing cover and look again. maybe I :censored: it up.

I did not pull any fuses before starting and I do smell a bit of gas so hopefully you are right that I'm just off a tooth as that shouldn't be too had to fix. I guess I should pull off the upper timing cover and look again. maybe I :censored: it up.

Thanks for the help. The rear cam gear was off, I didn't realize that there were two markings on that gear and I had used the wrong one. Good thing its a non-interference engine... all is good now it fired right up and runs perfect.

Thanks for the help. The rear cam gear was off, I didn't realize that there were two markings on that gear and I had used the wrong one. Good thing its a non-interference engine... all is good now it fired right up and runs perfect.

awesome :)