Replacing Factory Radio

Chuck Ballew

No responses back yet? Ugh, was hoping to get some ideas as my cd player jammed last week :cries: , need to hear my cds, dealer said would need to replace w "rebuilt" at $615. And I need the driver's door speaker replaced as well - another $288. I believe I can get a great NEW (not rebuilt) stereo for this kind of money or a lot less, but was warned that I'd need to ensure the ohms and size were correct. Any specs on that? Thanks in advance for any advice. Oh, and did just unplug the battery overnight to try someone else's "accidental solution" to the same problem in another thread... we'll see if it by chance works.

Other than that, have LOVED my SC for two years now...

No responses back yet? Ugh, was hoping to get some ideas as my cd player jammed last week :cries: , need to hear my cds, dealer said would need to replace w "rebuilt" at $615. And I need the driver's door speaker replaced as well - another $288. I believe I can get a great NEW (not rebuilt) stereo for this kind of money or a lot less, but was warned that I'd need to ensure the ohms and size were correct. Any specs on that? Thanks in advance for any advice. Oh, and did just unplug the battery overnight to try someone else's "accidental solution" to the same problem in another thread... we'll see if it by chance works.

I had the speaker in the left and right door replaced for about 150 bucks total. I am looking for a radio too. Let me know what you come up with. Don't take your car to the dealer with radio problem. My local Master Car Sterero did the work.... Lexus wanted 800 bucks and said all speakers had to be replaced with secret ohm kit. LOL :chairshot: :chairshot: Thanks for the tires idea.

I had the speaker in the left and right door replaced for about 150 bucks total. I am looking for a radio too. Let me know what you come up with. Don't take your car to the dealer with radio problem. My local Master Car Sterero did the work.... Lexus wanted 800 bucks and said all speakers had to be replaced with secret ohm kit. LOL :chairshot::chairshot: Thanks for the tires idea.

Thanks Chuck - haven't had time to look into stereo yet, what brand and size speakers did they use? I had purchased what another stereo place told me would be the correct speaker, yet after they took the door off even they said it wouldn't work, refunded me, and sent me to the dealer...You're welcome on the tires.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ive seen a few done, should cause no problem to install an aftermarket unit. Obviously you have quite a big hole to fill though.

DSCN0671.JPG

Where did you get that done. .t looks great. Where can I get mine done as well.

Ive seen a few done, should cause no problem to install an aftermarket unit. Obviously you have quite a big hole to fill though.

DSCN0671.JPG

Where did you get that done. .t looks great. Where can I get mine done as well.

oh its not mine, im not big into ice anymore love the sound of my v8. Ive done ice installs and carputer installs in the past though. I have had the ml system out when I installed my dvd changer and TV. Its pretty straightfwd to rip out if your so inclined.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't let Lexus screw you. There is no "secret ohm" kit. All the speakers in the car are 8 ohms, except for the sub, which is 16 ohm. I just recently replaced all the speakers in my 2002 sc430, and the sound sounds 100% better than their "premium, Mark Levinson" system. I kept the factory head unit, as well as the factory ML amp to run the door speakers and rear speakers. Added an Alpine amp to power my new sub. You can find way better 8 ohm speakers than what is being used in the car. I did very little modifications to make the new speakers fit. In fact, the only modification I did, was changed the door woofers (which are 6 x 9) to 6.5" pioneer woofers. I had to use a little MDF to make the speakers fit. Was very simple. I changed out the rear speakers, and they fit fine. Changed out the sub, and it fit fine...(although, I wish I could have gone with a bigger sub. Only an 8" sub would replace the old one).

• 11 months later...
Don't let Lexus screw you. There is no "secret ohm" kit. All the speakers in the car are 8 ohms, except for the sub, which is 16 ohm. I just recently replaced all the speakers in my 2002 sc430, and the sound sounds 100% better than their "premium, Mark Levinson" system. I kept the factory head unit, as well as the factory ML amp to run the door speakers and rear speakers. Added an Alpine amp to power my new sub. You can find way better 8 ohm speakers than what is being used in the car. I did very little modifications to make the new speakers fit. In fact, the only modification I did, was changed the door woofers (which are 6 x 9) to 6.5" pioneer woofers. I had to use a little MDF to make the speakers fit. Was very simple. I changed out the rear speakers, and they fit fine. Changed out the sub, and it fit fine...(although, I wish I could have gone with a bigger sub. Only an 8" sub would replace the old one).

What kind of speakers did you exactly replace them with? I've yet to find an 8 Ohm car speaker. A 'home stereo' speaker isn't geared for this sort of application-- sonicly, or long term. I just broke down and purchased the ML 6X9 for the door as I blew the minimally rated 20W speaker. Do some searching on the web. I found one for $120. Anyway, my gripe is that playing music w/the top down is almost a joke if you're on the highway. Even replacing the sub becomes a big deal, as you're limited to where it can go-- plan on building a custom box in the back seat (as it's not very good for much else). You'll be better off placing it (them) here, than placing them in the trunk. It will sound better, and you will appreciate keeping the space available in the trunk should you need it. FYI, the existing sub cut out is far too shallow and small to replace it with anything-- even the shallow subs will not work, plus it will sound like garbage trying to play through the foam and leather seatback.

Unfortunately there's no real easy (or cheap) way to beef up the sound (or volume). ANY upgrades require a major overhaul, and you loose the asthetics of the car. Now, how about an aftermarket 8-Trak tape player to match the cassette deck?!!? LOL. Good Luck.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

DSCN0671.JPG

Hi

I will like to change my OEM radio but there is very little info in the SC430 2004. Where do you get the mounting kit for that radio? Is it custom made?

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nicely done. I've just put a JVC KW-NT3HDT. The unit fit into the double-din carrier perfectly! Nearly all the screws lined up! Made some side panels, like yours, and it looks really good.

Just one thing: the Navigation works with the original radio -- without the original radio, the old NAV screen doesn't work. Obviously I don't want it for the NAV part, but I do want it for the Information and other buttons.

So, my questions are:

1. How did you get the old screen to work with your new AVIC? Or, does the screen not work at all?

2. How did you make the open/close/tilt buttons work?

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

I replaced my Factory radio with the Eclipse AVN726e. This unit has the capability to add bluetooth/handsfree calling, satellite radio, HD radio, remote control, rearview camera, and aux ipod/mp3 all while playing your normal radio, DVDs and GPS all in a simple, easy to use touch screen. I love it, it's just pricey when you add all the add ons. I found most of the items on ebay. Can't find Sirus Traffic module just the regular Sirus unit.

On the most important note, you will need to purchase the Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness

by Axxess if you are going to use the factory amp (JBL or Mark Levinson).

• 3 months later...

Search youtube.com for lexus 430 stereo replacement. There are a number of systems that will work in your car. You can find replacement Mark speakers on ebay but you will pay dearly for them. (Still cheaper than going to Lexus) Check Crutchfield for replacement parts too. Speakers can be a challange, but you dont say if you are doing the work yourself or having a pro do it. Happy hunting.