Buying Used Gs300 - Warranty? Carmax?

I want to buy a 2006 GS300 (my budget) and have been looking at Car Max or auctions (my local Lexus dealer pricing is way above CarMax!).

Do I have any concerns with using the warranty at the Lexus dealer when buying a 2006 used car? I believe I should still be covered under warranty if miles are lower.

Where would you recommend buying a used Lexus? Car Max is much cheaper than dealer pricing.

Thank you!

I want to buy a 2006 GS300 (my budget) and have been looking at Car Max or auctions (my local Lexus dealer pricing is way above CarMax!).

Do I have any concerns with using the warranty at the Lexus dealer when buying a 2006 used car? I believe I should still be covered under warranty if miles are lower.

Where would you recommend buying a used Lexus? Car Max is much cheaper than dealer pricing.

Thank you!

I just bought one 2005 in warranty, just aware 2006 is new model would be better. bassic 4yr/50Kmiles,power chain 6yr/70Kmiles. Note CARFAX may not expose all accidents/repairs, it records reported ones. You must test drive! Good luck.

The problem with carmax is that you will not have the option to buy a certified pre-own with the extended warranty, but as long as your Lexus is still under the original bumper to bumper warranty, you can still buy the extended warranty from Lexus. BTW, the 06 GS is a 1st year redeign and there quite a few owners who had a lot of problems with it.

Thank you!

I just bought a 2006 GS300 from Carmax last weekend. They offered a 75k (additional miles from purchase) warranty which I went for. I honestly don't see a difference between the warranty I purchased and the one offered by Lexus. It had basically the same exclusions etc. With the warranty I got I can get the repairs done wherever I want as long as the shop has a 6 month/ 6,000 mile guarantee on the work so you can take it to the dealership if you want. I have yet to transfer the factory warranty to my name, I was told it just takes one phone call to Lexus USA. That also lets them know you're the new owner if there are any recalls for the car.

As for my purchase from carmax, I'm quite happy with buying from them. I like the no haggle one price part the most, but I also liked the very low key, no pressure approach of the salesman and everyone else that was involved in my purchase. They guarantee no frame damage, no flood damage and a clean title so I felt pretty safe buying it from them. I didn't see any lexus dealership giving that sort of written guarantee (maybe they do, I just didn't see it in writing anywhere).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!

I just bought one 2005 in warranty, just aware 2006 is new model would be better. bassic 4yr/50Kmiles,power chain 6yr/70Kmiles. Note CARFAX may not expose all accidents/repairs, it records reported ones. You must test drive! Good luck.

The 2005 GS300 41K miles has one struts leaking and replaced by dealer for free, my shop asked me to replace all four buy dealer defused. So warranty is still limited. A few people told me ext warranty is no use as Lexus has no problem, yet I don't think it is no problem. Anyway after replace it is better.

I just found, rear passenger side power window has problem, if you hold up button it goes up then down! I need to momentarily up the button to close it.

I tried Es350 only 26K miles, not powerful as GS300. I feel, Lexus is ok but not a very reliable car for people want to drive 180K miles+.

I also feel, a warranty even last for 100miles and 1wk will help you to fix 2nd hand problems. I'll start to learn repair because loca dealer charge 90K timing belt/water pump etc. for $24++!

• 2 weeks later...

while we are on topic, I just bought a used gs300 w/ 47k miles, and they offered extended warranty and I bought it (the warranty)for $2733, my question is should I keep it or cancel for refund? it is only for 36mo/80k and I dont know if I'll even be using it since I heard they are pretty reliable....