Bug Shield / Hood Deflector Rx300 '02

JSmith

I installed a Colgan bra last year on my '02 RX300. The hood cover flaps. (the mfg claimed I did not stretch it tight enough on initial installation) I do like the bumper protection.

I am considering the LUND or AVS acrylic hood deflector. Any experience with these? I have some concern for using double-sided tape on the hood paint to install this item. However, I have found past experience with similar deflectors on mini vans to be very effective.

I installed a Colgan bra last year on my '02 RX300. The hood cover flaps. (the mfg claimed I did not stretch it tight enough on initial installation) I do like the bumper protection.

I am considering the LUND or AVS acrylic hood deflector. Any experience with these? I have some concern for using double-sided tape on the hood paint to install this item. However, I have found past experience with similar deflectors on mini vans to be very effective.

First post noob here. just picking up 01 RX300 and same issue on my mind. I want to cover the thing ASAP

Which mftrs/models best, and could someone kindly post link if you have.

:cheers:

I installed a weathertech on my 2002. It does install with double back tape and I too had concerns. I did a bit of research before buying and it appears that the double sided tape does not harm the vehicle. The tape used is the same tape that auto manufacturers use to stick emblems and other things to the finish of most vehicles. The weathertech installed in 2 minutes and I have had it on my car for around 6 months and it hasn't moved, cracked or faded in any way and I live in Toronto and we have had some cold temperatures for a change this winter. The sheild has held up very well.

I installed a weathertech on my 2002. It does install with double back tape and I too had concerns. I did a bit of research before buying and it appears that the double sided tape does not harm the vehicle. The tape used is the same tape that auto manufacturers use to stick emblems and other things to the finish of most vehicles. The weathertech installed in 2 minutes and I have had it on my car for around 6 months and it hasn't moved, cracked or faded in any way and I live in Toronto and we have had some cold temperatures for a change this winter. The sheild has held up very well.

Thanks for comment about the Weathertech. I haven't reviewed that one. Turns out that the Lund and AVS are made my the same company. Lund only suggests the AVS for the 99-01 (can't see why it wouldn't fit 02 & 03). It insalls with the same dbl sided tape you describe. The LUND Interceptor model is installed with two steel brackets, which somehow slip through the grill and require 2 holes drilled inside/underneath the hood. Lund emailed me a pdf of the instructions for both types, but they are generic descriptions. I will loosen my grill to see if it is likely to fit properly as they describe.

Be careful with the kind of shield that drills into the underside of the hood. My wifes Mazda MPV had that style and it came with two rubber feet that were supposed to keep the plastic from rubbing on the hood. Well the rubber did rub the hood and over time rubbed the finish off and the paint. As long as all the space between the hood and the sheild is ok...you should be fine, but be careful. I once had an accord with shield and when the vehicle was parked the space between the shield and the hood was fine, but when the car was driven the force from the wind would force it into the hood and it wore the finish off my hood in two places. Like I said, I have had no problems with the Weathertech. Good luck...