My Audio Upgrade Experience

fay31

I thought I would post this since alot of people on here don't seem too familiar with the stereo systems in our cars. I recently performed a complete overhaul of this stereo system on my non NAV/non ML stereo. I removed the indash 6CD player and replaced it with a Pioneer Z2 with 30GB hard drive indash NAV/Ipod/bluetooth/rear view camera/dvd player/cd/mp3/satellite radio unit. This thing does everything, and it's awesome I even retained the steering wheel controls. I also replace the front speakers with 6 1/2" Boston Acoustics component speakers, the factory amp with an Alpine 75x4, and replaced the rear speakers with 6 1/2" Boston Acoustics SL65 speakers. This system is now better than a ML system in my opinion. The NAV software is very similar to the factory Lexus software, same mapping company makes both, only now I have all the bells and whistles. Total cost was about $2500. I highly recommend others do the same. The tricky part was trying to find the trim piece for the radio, but there is a little known Lexus manufactured double din piece that if you can find one makes it look like a factory install. My amp is also hidden so you don't see it, it's truly an awesome job, can't really tell anything has been done, except for people who know better, you will know that the unit should be at the top of the dash and not where the radio was. I would post some pics but don't know how. If someone wants me to just ask, and tell me how.

$2500.00...??

To justify that you must spent one helluva lot of time listening to that system just setting inside your RX closed up inside the garage with the engine off.

Otherwise the typical 70Db road noise, "white" noise, "over-shadows" the lower level "sounds" so much that you must have the volume up in the painful to the ears range for the "high" sequences.

The best investment to improve the automotive audio "listening" experience is via more sound proofing, noise reduction. Undercoating the wheelwell liners, nice quiet higher profile 16-17" summer tires, fiberglass insulation in the doors, coat of silicone lub on the rubber window seals, etc, and maybe even an "anti-noise, noise canceling, module under the driver's seat.

And it wouldn't hurt to add some DSP, Digital Signal Processing, to automatically bring the "low" musical sequences up to, or even above, the level of the cabin ambient NOISE.

Having done all of that you'd likely be pleasantly surprised at just how well the factory system sounds.

$2500.00...??

To justify that you must spent one helluva lot of time listening to that system just setting inside your RX closed up inside the garage with the engine off.

Otherwise the typical 70Db road noise, "white" noise, "over-shadows" the lower level "sounds" so much that you must have the volume up in the painful to the ears range for the "high" sequences.

The best investment to improve the automotive audio "listening" experience is via more sound proofing, noise reduction. Undercoating the wheelwell liners, nice quiet higher profile 16-17" summer tires, fiberglass insulation in the doors, coat of silicone lub on the rubber window seals, etc, and maybe even an "anti-noise, noise canceling, module under the driver's seat.

And it wouldn't hurt to add some DSP, Digital Signal Processing, to automatically bring the "low" musical sequences up to, or even above, the level of the cabin ambient NOISE.

Having done all of that you'd likely be pleasantly surprised at just how well the factory system sounds.

Well, Debbie Downer, I wanted indash navigation, bluetooth, ipod, and satellite radio. Doing the soundproofing wouldn't help me with that would it? Who says I won't do that stuff too. All I can tell you is that I am very very pleased with this upgrade. And I know others that would like to do the same to their RX but they didn't think it was possible so I wanted to make sure the people on here knew.

$2500.00...??

Well, Debbie Downer, I wanted indash navigation, bluetooth, ipod, and satellite radio. Doing the soundproofing wouldn't help me with that would it? Who says I won't do that stuff too. All I can tell you is that I am very very pleased with this upgrade. And I know others that would like to do the same to their RX but they didn't think it was possible so I wanted to make sure the people on here knew.

Oh, well, now I understand.

As "Debbie Downer" I see absolutely no need for bluetooth, ipod, nor satelite radio. Insofar as GPS/Nav is concerned I find that a built-in is a waste. I'd much rather have a portable (which I do) that I can move from car to car, or even car to Cessna.

$2500.00...??

Oh, well, now I understand.

As "Debbie Downer" I see absolutely no need for bluetooth, ipod, nor satelite radio. Insofar as GPS/Nav is concerned I find that a built-in is a waste. I'd much rather have a portable (which I do) that I can move from car to car, or even car to Cessna.

That's funny I have a portal I take from car to car and even to my ten speed, that's the same as Cessna, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I agree - this vehicle is about as noisy as my toyota corolla.... sorta numbing to the ears.

But the steps you're talking about price out at over $2K also. at least thats what Cartoyz here tells me, in fact they don't really want the job.... too time-consuming.

Have you actually had this work done, and if so, what were the costs, and the results?

thx

$2500.00...??

Could you please post pictures of this as I am looking into changing the non-nav system. Also did you do the work yourself or have it done professionally? To add pictures I would assume just upload them as attachments (the option is at the bottom portion of the replay option, just click browse, bottom right, and click on your pictures).

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
I thought I would post this since alot of people on here don't seem too familiar with the stereo systems in our cars. I recently performed a complete overhaul of this stereo system on my non NAV/non ML stereo. I removed the indash 6CD player and replaced it with a Pioneer Z2 with 30GB hard drive indash NAV/Ipod/bluetooth/rear view camera/dvd player/cd/mp3/satellite radio unit. This thing does everything, and it's awesome I even retained the steering wheel controls. I also replace the front speakers with 6 1/2" Boston Acoustics component speakers, the factory amp with an Alpine 75x4, and replaced the rear speakers with 6 1/2" Boston Acoustics SL65 speakers. This system is now better than a ML system in my opinion. The NAV software is very similar to the factory Lexus software, same mapping company makes both, only now I have all the bells and whistles. Total cost was about $2500. I highly recommend others do the same. The tricky part was trying to find the trim piece for the radio, but there is a little known Lexus manufactured double din piece that if you can find one makes it look like a factory install. My amp is also hidden so you don't see it, it's truly an awesome job, can't really tell anything has been done, except for people who know better, you will know that the unit should be at the top of the dash and not where the radio was. I would post some pics but don't know how. If someone wants me to just ask, and tell me how.

Hello,

Can you please post pics of this or email (sent u a PM)....i'm trying to upgrade my ML CD Changer as well in my RX300 but looks like when the CD changer is removed, you will lose the aircon/heating/controls.

Thanks

Hello,

Can you please post pics of this or email (sent u a PM)....i'm trying to upgrade my ML CD Changer as well in my RX300 but looks like when the CD changer is removed, you will lose the aircon/heating/controls.

Thanks

Before reviving an old thread, it is a good idea to look at the statistics for the people that participated in the thread. fay31 has not signed on to this forum since 13th February 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hello,

Thanks

Before reviving an old thread, it is a good idea to look at the statistics for the people that participated in the thread. fay31 has not signed on to this forum since 13th February 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hi,

didnt check but i thot it wud be helpful if i posted or ask for more advise incase someone else had the same problem and was able to resolve this and also for anyone that might be looking to do the same thing....actually a UK member but no info from the UK forum regarding this.

• 2 weeks later...
$2500.00...??

Actually, $2500 is not a lot to spend to upgrade a sound system, especially when one considers what OEMs offer for comparable performance. I did a full separate install in my GTI and it blows away every OEM system I have yet to hear - albeit my cargo capacity has diminished to 1.0' cf... Nonetheless, a recent RX330 acquisition has me pondering alternatives to its stock system... :D