Led Brake/tail/turn Signal Lamps.

wwest

Has anyone yet done this? If so what value resistors did you substitute into the light failure sensor circuit?

I did this on my '01 RX300 but don't remember what resistor sizes I used.

Anyone know if the sensing resistor in the turn/hazard flasher will also need to be changed?

Or do I simply switch to an aftermarket electronic flasher?

I think you just add a resistor to each bulb. They should sell them in the "tuner fish" section at your local auto parts store. but it would probably just figure out what their stats are exactly and buy them at Radio Shack! probably a lot cheaper over there. I've also heard the resistors get hot when in use.. true or false???

I wouldn't mind buying a set or red/clear tails and going all LED in the back

I think you just add a resistor to each bulb. They should sell them in the "tuner fish" section at your local auto parts store. but it would probably just figure out what their stats are exactly and buy them at Radio Shack! probably a lot cheaper over there. I've also heard the resistors get hot when in use.. true or false???

I wouldn't mind buying a set or red/clear tails and going all LED in the back

Since someone managed to back into our '95 LS (Silver) and break the passenger side rear tailight I purchased the red/clear full set on Ebay. Cheaper than just buying the one at Lexus. And yes, you can add resistors in parallel with the LED lamps. For the tailights, 6 of them at 5 watts each it will take a 30 watt resistor to draw the correct current and not trip the failure sensor. The stop lights are a bit more of a problem, 18 watts X 6, but they the duty cycle is relatively short so the resistor(s) would likely never get all that hot.

But all in all being the perfectionist that I am I would much rather change out the current, AMPS, sensing resistors in the lamp failure detection module and even the one in the flasher relay if it should come to that.

So that's a 18 watt resistor for each LED bulb in the back???

Sorry I have no experience at all with this LED and resistor business

There are 6 dual filament (type 7443 for a 95), 18 watt stop & 4 watt tail, in an LS400.

It would take 30 watts, probably as 3 10 watt resistors to equal the current flow/draw of the taillight filaments.

The stop light filament is 18 watts, meaning a total of 108 watts of resistance to substitute for the actual stop light filaments.

Typically LED lamps draw only about 10% of the current flow of their incandescent counterparts.

What a funny thread . I just revamped my thinking on LED turns last night .

I already have front turn signals in Amber with load resistors to keep them blinking normal . Yes they do get very hot.

I also had to make the opening larger to get the LED bulbs in the sockets.

So last night i found their is a better way to use leds on signals not brake lights to stop the malfunction of rapid flashing.

It replaces the flasher module. Toyota has a specific flasher which is a pain to bypass as i already tried . It basically replaces the original one to one that never flashes fast but works normally otherwise. When i get it in a few says I'll update the thread.

Ohhhhhh I don't think I'm into LEDs enough to cut up the housings to make them fit! lol...

Do they make bulbs with red glass instead of painted red glass so it wont wear off over time??

I just don't want the middle of the inside section of lights to look crappy since it's changing from red lens, to clear lens...

Maybe it would just be easier to red out my tail lights... Is that process just like smoking them? but with the red paint instead???

Here's a pic of my old LS I found. I smoked the tails on the originals after my red/clears started collecting moisture :(

DSCF0216.jpg