Transmission Fluid Change Rx330

KBRX330

Since there is no serviceable filter on the RX330 transmission you can easily change the transmission fluid yourself with a fluid extractor through the dipstick tube or the drain bold underneath. Your Lexus transmission takes Toyota T-IV fluid which is available at any Toyota dealership for $5-6/qt. I use a motive fluid extractor which has fluid volume graduations on the side and it will extract 5 quarts out of the dipstick tube which takes about 15 minutes when the fluid is hot. So it's 5 quarts out and 5 quarts back in. I do this every 15-20,000 miles and after 130,000 miles my transmission still shifts like new. :cheers:

Since there is no serviceable filter on the RX330 transmission you can easily change the transmission fluid yourself with a fluid extractor through the dipstick tube or the drain bold underneath. Your Lexus transmission takes Toyota T-IV fluid which is available at any Toyota dealership for $5-6/qt. I use a motive fluid extractor which has fluid volume graduations on the side and it will extract 5 quarts out of the dipstick tube which takes about 15 minutes when the fluid is hot. So it's 5 quarts out and 5 quarts back in. I do this every 15-20,000 miles and after 130,000 miles my transmission still shifts like new. :cheers:

The RX330, and the RX350, has adopted DBW E-throttle "to protect the drive train". Basically to prevent premature transaxle failures resulting from inadequate ATF line pressure during a downshift, downshift for acceleration, subsequent too, quickly following, an upshift resulting from a slight, moderate, or full throttle lift.

Unless the ATF begins to show signs of contamination or over-heating, smelling and looking burned, I would abide by the factory recommendations in your owners manual. Regardless I would recommend ALWAYS checking the condition of your ATF at each and every oil change interval.

The only problem with your approach is that you are removing only 1/3 of the fluid every 15000 miles, leaving 2/3 of the fluid there. If you have contamination, burned ATF, or whatever, then you are still leaving a significant amount in the system.

The only problem with your approach is that you are removing only 1/3 of the fluid every 15000 miles, leaving 2/3 of the fluid there. If you have contamination, burned ATF, or whatever, then you are still leaving a significant amount in the system.

If you do a 'drain & fill' at the recommended intervals (or even before for those of us that are fussy for things like that) you will always have clean fluid in the system.

From personal experience, I am not a fan of the complete fluid change & the high pressure machines that go along with it. Too many problems can result.

Amsoil synthetic ATF meets Toyota Type IV specs & is highly recommended in place of the Toyota fluid.

:cheers:

I have always made it a point to service my trans so I never let the fluid get brown or burnt as that is the point where it's too late. So changing out 1/3 of the fluid keeps the additive package robust.

I have always made it a point to service my trans so I never let the fluid get brown or burnt as that is the point where it's too late. So changing out 1/3 of the fluid keeps the additive package robust.

You cannot say that since if your fluid has high TAN you will not get the TAN's to proper levels with 1/3 drains. You would NEED to drain as much as you can to reduce TAN and get your adds (CA, ZN etc along with TBN) back to proper levels. So your 1/3 will not do much on additive pkg in some cases.

If you have burnt fluid, you have tranny issues. Color is a general rule but it is a general rule.

• 3 weeks later...

I made a mistake on my first post. It is 3.5 quarts out and 3.5 in. But note: according to the owners manual a drain/refill is 3.8 quarts. I'm not sure what the total capacity of the trans is but it seems to work fine. 133,000 miles and shifting like new. If the capacity of the trans is 9 qts then 2 drain fills will get you about 55% new fluid. 3 drains will get you over 80%. Since the dealer charges almost $200 for a flush, I can do 3 drain re-fills for about $55.