Timing Belt Personnel Question

My 1998 es300 has well over 90k on it and needs the timing belt replaced. As everybody knows, this is way too expensive at the dealer and even at local shops. I found someone on Craigslist who quoted a reasonable price. Any suggestions on what I should ask him in terms of his qualifications or experience to judge his ability to do the work? btw, he will be doing the work at his house. Thanks for any pointers.

First, I will say that when you see the old timing belt, it will likely look just fine, if not almost new. Ignore this. Changing the timing belt is cheap insurance compared to what a failure will cost.

Second, this is not a job I would ever trust to a mechanic who cannot offer any warranty. If a Lexus service tech or Midas/NAPA/other-chain tech does the job and messes it up, you are covered. If this guy does it in his backyard or garage and messes it up, good luck. If this is your only route, you might as well set aside a weekend and do it yourself. If you or this fella screw up the job, you will have only yourself to blame.

I did this job on my Corolla back in '93 and it really took 2 days. Had to tear down the whole right front wheel area, disconnect a couple of motor mounts, remove covers, loosen tensioners, change the belt and reverse the whole process. Naturally, I knocked a pulley out of line and had to retime the whole valvetrain. Never again.

I think your out of your mind to even consider some guy off the street to work on your car to save a couple hundred bucks. That's a double overhead cam V6? How much did the dealer qoute and how much was his quote? Did you call a Toyota dealership also? they are sometimes cheaper then a Lexus dealership for some reason.

I think your out of your mind to even consider some guy off the street to work on your car to save a couple hundred bucks. That's a double overhead cam V6? How much did the dealer qoute and how much was his quote? Did you call a Toyota dealership also? they are sometimes cheaper then a Lexus dealership for some reason.

The Lexus dealership wants $650 for just timing belt (it's $1400 for the 90K service). This guy wants $250. And you are right, I just called the Toyota dealership and to my delight they quoted $250 also. That sounds pretty good to me.

don't trust backyard mechanics unless you can verify that they know what they are doing. The timing belt change on this car is not insanely hard, but it is difficult for a total novice, since a few specialty tools are needed. If you can get in and out of the toyota dealership for 250 then you are getting a good deal, the belt itself is around 30 or 40 bucks iirc.

if the guy is/was a toyota/lexus mechanic and can prove he's currently ase (preferably engine/advanced engine) and/or toyota/lexus certified... then and only then do you accept that offer.

i just realized how many slashes i put into that post :P