After Market Wheels

Bob in Tucson

Just bought a 2002 SC430 with after market wheels. Quite stunning wheels, but eats tires (they are RFT). Plus a vibration at freeway speeds that dealer claims is the fault of the non-OEM wheels. Wheel shops says OEM wheels are hub-centric and after market are not. If wheels are installed correctly( DON'T use impact wrench set to kill...) but hand tighten and then torgue to 75lbs will center the wheels and you shouldn't have a problem. Car still at the dealer. Any experience comments with after market wheels will be appreciated.

I go through this ordeal all the time. They have to road force balance them. It's a more accurate way to balance them. When I first put my rims on they had issues also. So after getting on thier case, Discount Tire finally road force balanced them and they roll perfect now.

Just bought a 2002 SC430 with after market wheels. Quite stunning wheels, but eats tires (they are RFT). Plus a vibration at freeway speeds that dealer claims is the fault of the non-OEM wheels. Wheel shops says OEM wheels are hub-centric and after market are not. If wheels are installed correctly( DON'T use impact wrench set to kill...) but hand tighten and then torgue to 75lbs will center the wheels and you shouldn't have a problem. Car still at the dealer. Any experience comments with after market wheels will be appreciated.

I also have an 02 sc430. I got BBS wheels which are probably better than what comes on the Lexus. The only trouble I have had is that they seem to leak down every couple of months.

I had them put on a the Goodyear dealer where I got them. They had by far the best price. There are Korean, and Chinese knock offs of BBS which will crack and show dust marks after you have had them for a while. Of course they are about half price but I figured I'm going to keep the car for a while so why not get the best. They were plasma finish (not so shinney as the chrome) and cost $2500. installed.