Need Some Tunes!

BigBuggie

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is any relatively painless way to hook up a CD player or changer to the factory interface. I want the car completely stock so an after market deck isn't going to cut it, Just wanted to see what you guys think.

Or maybe I can break out the old tape collection :huh:

Thanks , Peter

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is any relatively painless way to hook up a CD player or changer to the factory interface. I want the car completely stock so an after market deck isn't going to cut it, Just wanted to see what you guys think.

Thanks , Peter

Damn, I thought the 6 CD changer was installed standard from the factory. I didn't know it was optional. What cheap Ba£$%^rd specced your car when they bought it new. Probably have to change the console head unit, don't know about the wiring, hopefully the loom is all there just to connect up a spare from a wrecker.

I checked your photos again as I could not believe it didn't come with the CD. Someone here will know how to connect up an ipod, which is probably a better bet.

Hey guys,

Thanks , Peter

For the es or ls?

Hey guys,

Thanks , Peter

I checked your photos again as I could not believe it didn't come with the CD. Someone here will know how to connect up an ipod, which is probably a better bet.

Me too! Haven't seen a unit like yours, without the cd. If you want to keep it authentic (you sound like a future collector), I would say just swap it. Probably have to do some wiring unless it's already there. There's got to be lots of them available. Ebay for sure. The "Buy & Sell" forum might have some or links to some.

Where I live, CD players were not all that common on the earliest LS400's. Unless the CD player was installed at the factory, the entire head unit had to be switched out when the dealer installed a CD player. The LS400 I bought in early 1990 didn't have a CD player and neither did my next door neighbor's LS400 that he bought in 1989. CD players became more common and less expensive, relative to total LS400 price, as the model years went by. You have to remember that the base price of the LS400 went up by almost $20,000 over an 11 year period while the price of the CD player option remained about the same.

If I still had my 90 LS, I would definitely consider an aftermarket radio that has a CD/DVD player, an aux connection for an MP3 player and built-in BlueTooth.

If the radio in my 2000 LS400 ever fails, I will certainly consider replacing it with an aftermarket radio with more current technology.

Most painless way I know would be an FM transmitter. I hooked one upto a laptop on a Toronto-New York trip and it worked wonderfully until the laptop's battery ran out. (The inverter died).

I recall someone talking about a gadget which hooks into the antenna wire also.

Good Luck.

wireless fm transmitter nothing else to do

wired fm transmitter , attaches to the antenna wire behind the deck for a clearer fm signal

tape adapter , simple but can cause issues with the tape mechanism over time

cut wires from the cd changer to add a line in using the cd function.

from worst to best audio signal

Hey guys,

Thanks , Peter

If I could find out if it is tthe ES or LS, They are both in your sig and you make no mention of which car. I can get a factory cd changer and wiring harness if you are still in need of one. :cheers:

Oh, sorry.

It's the LS. Also, I dont see a CD button on the unit. I'll check around on EBAY a bit.

550 miles on her, So far so good!

Pete

I have a nakamichi cd headunit with cd changer and wiring harness 100% plug and play ready for install $450.00 shipped. If your interested reply.

Oh, sorry.

It's the LS. Also, I dont see a CD button on the unit. I'll check around on EBAY a bit.

Pete

I have a nakamichi cd headunit with cd changer and wiring harness 100% plug and play ready for install $450.00 shipped. If your interested reply.

Ok, thanks. Right now $450 has higher priority's (dent removal, steering wheel, fluid changes etc..) thought it would be a bit cheaper but, gimmie a few weeks. Ill put it on the list. Definitely a must.

To what degree of P+P are we talking anyway? How is the changer installed?

Pete

Oh, sorry.

Pete

Ok, thanks. Right now $450 has higher priority's (dent removal, steering wheel, fluid changes etc..) thought it would be a bit cheaper but, gimmie a few weeks. Ill put it on the list. Definitely a must.

To what degree of P+P are we talking anyway? How is the changer installed?

Pete

You could mount the changer under the passenger seat with the magazine drawer facing the back seat, Or you could mount it in the trunk(like stock) and run the wiring harness under the door sills and under the back seat to the trunk. I would install it under the front seat.