Unnecessary And Expensive Service?

I just got my 15,000 mile service and was floored by the price for what was basically an OIL CHANGE: $452.00! Here's what was done in addition to the oil change: replace engine air filter, replace wiper blade inserts, replace cabin air filter, inspect: ball joints and steering gear, brakes, drive axles and exhaust, stored codes, tire pressure and condition; top off fluid levels, rotate and balance tires, perform road test. I don't think one tool was needed for most of these extra items. And inspect means "look at" to me. I really don't think all this is needed at only 15K. They told me that this service list is done EVERY 15K. I see an additional item on the 30K service is "retorque drive shaft flange bolts". To me this amounts to tightening a screw. I was told that I could select what I wanted done if I wanted to. I just don't think I need to pay a trained mechanic over $120.00 per hour to change my wiper blades and add washer fluid. Do you get the "recommended" service done on your car or do you only request service that is necessary?

I just got my 15,000 mile service and was floored by the price for what was basically an OIL CHANGE: $452.00! Here's what was done in addition to the oil change: replace engine air filter, replace wiper blade inserts, replace cabin air filter, inspect: ball joints and steering gear, brakes, drive axles and exhaust, stored codes, tire pressure and condition; top off fluid levels, rotate and balance tires, perform road test. I don't think one tool was needed for most of these extra items. And inspect means "look at" to me. I really don't think all this is needed at only 15K. They told me that this service list is done EVERY 15K. I see an additional item on the 30K service is "retorque drive shaft flange bolts". To me this amounts to tightening a screw. I was told that I could select what I wanted done if I wanted to. I just don't think I need to pay a trained mechanic over $120.00 per hour to change my wiper blades and add washer fluid. Do you get the "recommended" service done on your car or do you only request service that is necessary?

I usually ask for oil change and tire rotation. If needed I have the air filter changed. My last service was 177.00 10% discount for the service dept scheduling the time wrong.

In my local dealers defense, the female service writer did make it a point to bend down when checking my service needs at my car window making sure I seen her !Removed!, and again at her desk when she leaned way more then needed to clear it, and again when she asked me to sign the estimate. I asked for an oil change and air filter change (about $55 and $25 for a total of about $80). She said I needed the 30K service for $300+. I asked what it included, and it was check this and check that.... A LOT OF THOSE... and change oil and air filter. The only thing it would have actually done more then what I asked was flush the break fluid. I said even if I don't get the "service" that you guys will "check" most of that stuff because you are trying to sell more service, and when the car was done, they did have a few service recommendations. One of them was (as a lot of people here have noted) that I had front inside tire wear. They quoted over $300 plus an installation charge for each tire! They still have at least 10k miles left on them, they just needed to be rotated and aligned. My tire dealer quoted less then $800 out the door for four of those tires! Even though the service writer showed me her !Removed! like four times, and that was ok :rolleyes: , I'm not about to say I wanna look cool so whatever you say, after all, I seen your !Removed! :cheers:

I was thinking about going to a Jiffy Lube or Pep Boys type place, but since the car is so new it doesn't seem like the best choice, at least for the first 60K or so. It seems from reading the responses to my question that the thing for me to do (since I don't have the training to work on the car myself besides adding fluids and changing wiper blades) is go to the dealer for service, but I'm going to select only what seems essential. I'm just going to go for warranty service, fluid and filter changes, tire rotation, hoses and belt replacement and the like. I'm not going to pay for them to look at things, tighten screws, go for a road test, or top off my washer fluid. I'll also be buying my tires from another place when needed. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this matter. Keep 'em coming. They're not only entertaining and informative, but will be saving me (and hopefully anyone who is new to the luxury car market and reads this thread) thousands of dollars over the long haul. You would think that the dealer would have your best interest in mind when setting up the service schedule, but obviously they're a money-making business and are going to try to get as much as they can.

Something about taking your LEXUS to jiffy lube doesnt sound right either. I recommend doign the fluid change only to keep the cost reasonable,.

I was thinking about going to a Jiffy Lube or Pep Boys type place, but since the car is so new it doesn't seem like the best choice, at least for the first 60K or so. It seems from reading the responses to my question that the thing for me to do (since I don't have the training to work on the car myself besides adding fluids and changing wiper blades) is go to the dealer for service, but I'm going to select only what seems essential. I'm just going to go for warranty service, fluid and filter changes, tire rotation, hoses and belt replacement and the like. I'm not going to pay for them to look at things, tighten screws, go for a road test, or top off my washer fluid. I'll also be buying my tires from another place when needed. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this matter. Keep 'em coming. They're not only entertaining and informative, but will be saving me (and hopefully anyone who is new to the luxury car market and reads this thread) thousands of dollars over the long haul. You would think that the dealer would have your best interest in mind when setting up the service schedule, but obviously they're a money-making business and are going to try to get as much as they can.

Something about taking your LEXUS to jiffy lube doesnt sound right either. I recommend doign the fluid change only to keep the cost reasonable,.

>>> I agree with you about it not sounding great. I ran this thought by my service rep at Lexus after receiving my 15K service and he said, "You don't want someone working on your car that might have been selling hot dogs off a cart the week before."

• 4 weeks later...
>>> I agree with you about it not sounding great. I ran this thought by my service rep at Lexus after receiving my 15K service and he said, "You don't want someone working on your car that might have been selling hot dogs off a cart the week before."

LOL! So true! Do not take your LUXURY car to a Jiffy Lube! They have no idea when it comes to specialized, sealed cars. You really need to do some reading and training before tackling the repairs yourself. Do you think the average tech at those places will have had any of your experience/readings let alone a Lexus tech's training?

• 1 month later...

LOL! So true! Do not take your LUXURY car to a Jiffy Lube! They have no idea when it comes to specialized, sealed cars. You really need to do some reading and training before tackling the repairs yourself. Do you think the average tech at those places will have had any of your experience/readings let alone a Lexus tech's training?

I just had my 15k Service done at a Toyota dealership in the Atlanta area. It was about $30.00 for the oil change. My Lexus dealership wanted about 250-300 for the 15k service. If you look at your Owners Manual Supplement, it tells you what services you need at what time. Most of it is a lot of “inspect”. I have been told your Toyota dealer can do A LOT of those services for less then 1/2 the cost. IMO if you rotate your tries and change your oil on schedule you can save a lot of $$ going to the Toyota dealership. Hope this helps

Jeff

I use to take my GX470 to a Toyota dealer for maintenance, the GX470 has the same pwertrain as the 4Runner. The problem with bringing the GS to a Toyota dealer is that they dont have the right parts.

I have been taking my cars (Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Toyota, Honda, Jeep) down the street to Espresso Lube (like a Jiffy Lube) for years with excellent results. The guys there seem to know what they are doing and the head mechanic there never sold a hot dog in his life! I simply don't have the time to arrange a dealer drop off or to wait 1 hour for an oil change. I am usually in and out of the Espresso Lube in about 15-20 minutes. ....

• 2 weeks later...