Illumination Wire For 2000 Es300

Hello -

I need to tap into the relay wire for the low beam headlights on a 2000 ES300 w/xenons. Anybody know where this wire is located? I've been able to locate and tap the VSS, and parking brake sensor, but not sure which wire to tap for illumination. The wire tap is needed for enabling the nighttime mode on our Ecplise nav system, it needs the signal that tells it when the lowbeam headlights are on. My wife leaves the headlight switch on the 'auto' setting all the time (if that makes a difference on which wire to tap), also the car has daytime running lights. I didn't think I needed to hook this wire up, but after seeing what nighttime mode looks like in another car, it would be nice to have it enabled.

thanks for any suggestions/info - a picture would be great!

An update - after checking wiring diagrams available at TIS - it looks like there is an illumination wire that toggles the dash clock brightness. It is green labelled ILL+. I will try hooking this one up to the illumination input wire on the 5510.

Hello -

I need to tap into the relay wire for the low beam headlights on a 2000 ES300 w/xenons. Anybody know where this wire is located? I've been able to locate and tap the VSS, and parking brake sensor, but not sure which wire to tap for illumination. The wire tap is needed for enabling the nighttime mode on our Ecplise nav system, it needs the signal that tells it when the lowbeam headlights are on. My wife leaves the headlight switch on the 'auto' setting all the time (if that makes a difference on which wire to tap), also the car has daytime running lights. I didn't think I needed to hook this wire up, but after seeing what nighttime mode looks like in another car, it would be nice to have it enabled.

• 8 months later...
An update - after checking wiring diagrams available at TIS - it looks like there is an illumination wire that toggles the dash clock brightness. It is green labelled ILL+. I will try hooking this one up to the illumination input wire on the 5510.
Hello -

Yes, the green wire from the LCD clock will work for the ILL+ input for the Eclipse AVN 5510. The map color inverts (black background/white roads) and the display dims when the headlights are turned on. Now it looks and acts exactly like the OEM system I've used in the in-laws '04 ES330.

And as suggested, if the parking brake wire is ran to GND, full iPod and navigation options are available while driving (haven't tried a DVD while driving yet). This comes in handy for the front seat passenger to help out with operating the 5510 while on long trips.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested...