Would You Buy An Rx400h Again?

It was a simple question. Given the cars available RIGHT NOW, would you purchase an RX400h again, yes or no, and why,:cheers:

If you want a simple yes or no, start a poll not a thread. :whistles:

This discussion, like any discussion, will wander a bit as people have a normal conversation. If you read the thread you'll see how we ended up on the battery discussion from the original question.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Just curious as to see if anyone else would have bought a different car/suv if they could do it over again.

I would def keep my RX400h, I just wish I bought one used so I could lower my truck and stiffen the suspension, it needs better handling but besides that its perfect!

I would definitely do it again. In my opinion it's the best bang for the buck. You could do better in specific areas but combined the RX rules. Other than a odor when it's raining or humid outside I haven't had one problem so far.

Simon, since I have Alenzas as well, I'll add my 2 cents:

The Alenzas have been on our RX400h for over 6000 miles now and I highly recommend them. They are quiet, handle very well, and do not show any wear whatsoever. In addition, they cost me only $600 for all four at www.tirerack.com.

Dave

Simon, since I have Alenzas as well, I'll add my 2 cents:

The Alenzas have been on our RX400h for over 6000 miles now and I highly recommend them. They are quiet, handle very well, and do not show any wear whatsoever. In addition, they cost me only $600 for all four at www.tirerack.com.

Dave

I will make it another 2 cents to yours. First I just got my 08 RX 400h and I love it, would do it again in a heartbeat. Secondly thanks to you guys discussing how terrible the Goodyear/Michelin OEM's are I made a deal with the dealer to take off the OEM tires before delivery and give me $700 back and i bought a set of 5 Bridgestone Alenzas from a local Firestone dealer and delivered them to the Lexus dealer for free installation prior to taking delivery. It is not my first set of Alenzas either, I have another set on my 07 Acura MDX and they are really nice tires, smooth ride good handling and great wear characteristics, not to mention good in wet and snow handling too.

A little story about the tire change at the dealer, when I ordered the car I made the deal to change the tires up front, dealer said no problem, when the car came in with the Goodyear brand the salesman called and said they couldn't do the tire deal because the parts department manager said we dont want the Goodyear's (unspoken assumption on my part is Michlen's would have been ok). I said thats a problem I already bought the Alenzas and a deal is a deal, we shook hands on it. So the next day the manager called me back and said yes a deal is a deal and we will keep our word.

I agree with the others on the quality of the Alenza's over the Michelin OEM's. I think they are superior. I put around 4500 miles on them on my 07 RX400h before I traded the RX in a week ago.

As for the buy again question... Since I had come out of a GX470 and into the RX400h, for the 14 months I owned the RX I was constantly comparing it to the GX. For me, the GX has it over the RX in all respects except for gas mileage and the lack of HID headlights (which I'll put in aftermarket). I would buy another 400h though under the right circumstances, but I don't think the overall build quality of the RX is as good as the GX. I'm an audiophile at heart and the RX stereo system quality is quite poor in my opinion. The lack of a true AWD system was also a real shortcoming and disappointment for me. Plus the cabin isn't really quiet enough at highway speeds to fully enjoy a good stereo system in the RX.

Now I smile the whole time I'm driving the GX except when I pull in to fill it up. But an extra $20 a week in gas isn't going to break me. I also saw my average mpg fall over the 14 months of ownership on the RX. At first I could get 27 to 28 on average. That number had fallen to 22.5-23.5mpg (actual)when I traded it in. So the gas savings between the RX & GX (attaining 19.5mpg actual) had become less of an issue for me. The dealer couldn't identify a root cause for the mpg drop. My father-in-law owns a Prius (new in 2004) and lost 5-8mpg after Toyota performed an ECU flash upgrade to his car in 07. Not sure why the ECU flash was done in the first place though.

Jim

We'd absolutely buy another RX400h - we have just over 40,000 and once we put the Alenza's on it have been extremely satisfied

kmke,

What benefits do you see from the Alenzas?

sorry for the dealy in responding - have been out of country. We replaced the Goodyears at 18,000 miles - just turned over 40,000 and the Alenza's still have more than half tread left. We bought the lifetime alignment at Firestone for $135 and get it aligned every 10,000 miles. The Alenzas have been everything we needed. We moved to Colorado for a temporary assignment - the tires are quite - great traction in wet conditions, much better handling. We just returned from Steam Boat Springs and 14 inches of new snow - no problems at all. All in all these have been great tires and we'd probably consider them again in another 20,000 miles or so.

Ken Hendren