Carbongs' Gs3 Under Construction

Haha, as stated in the GS4 thread that I have going, I am preparing the GS3 for some changes for in time to debut at the World of Wheels Birmingham next weekend. I saw what Automan has done so I needed to step up my game. He is a great team mate and always drives me to do more and more! :thumbup: Well, after lots of time and consideration this is what I've done thus far. The projects should be finished next Tuesday night just in time to roll out next Thursday monrning to roll into the World of Wheels.

Here's a little teaser!

2-1-08GS3.jpg

lol you know me, look at my screen name! I needed more carbon!

ok, enough with the comedics, here are the rest of the pics for your viewing pleasure. Once again, nothing is completely finished. give me some time to finish it all up before criticizing about cleanliness etc... lol. i love you guys!

The wood grain i purchased from a member here serves as an extra set and i decided to wrap it all up in carbon. make my interior flow with my exterior.

2-1-08GS31.jpg

2-1-08GS32.jpg

2-1-08GS33.jpg

now, before you say anything about this center piece, take into mind that i am using the middle section for my nitrous toggles (activation and purge). the area where the middle piece meets the side pieces will be sanded flat and painted gloss black to create sort of a seam.

2-1-08GS34.jpg

i got a graduation present out of the blue from my mom and dad. i've been asking for an in dash dvd player for years, back to when i had my m3. i guess persistance pays off! lol. i got what i wanted and more. my parents have always been supportive of my mods and they definitely surprised me with this one. very rarely do i get something my parents buy so that makes it extra special!

pioneer avic d3 FTW!!!

2-1-08GS35.jpg

The beginnings of my new trunk set up

2-1-08GS36.jpg

Up under the hood. got most of the plastic pieces, my intake and intake heat shield painted gloss black. (Thanks Bucky!) I have an HKS cam gear that i will be putting on as well, that's why there's a cut out on my stock exhaust cam gear.

2-1-08GS37.jpg

2-1-08GS38.jpg

Here you can see where my Bucky got creative with some paint.

DSCN9175.jpg

I am also getting my pro lex performance exhaust manifold heat shield painted black. after some research i found that it really doesn't do much of a job shielding heat from the intake piping so i decided to create a show piece of it. i cut out a rectangular window so that you can see the headers through the hole. It should add for some good contrast with the black heat shield and the gold headers.

up close idea of it. it is only filler primered right now. not painted yet.

DSCN9173.jpg

further away

DSCN9174.jpg

Here are both of my projects side by side!

2-1-08GS39.jpg

2-1-08GS311.jpg

that is all for now. i'll keep you guys updated

Ok, so today was a very productive day for me considering how late it started lol. I want to thank Dan, Juan, and and Shin (GGPIS3, Jvillagran and CarbonIS) for helping me out with parts and last night with my AEM wideband install, and thanks to Bucky for loaning me his spare carbon fiber single guage pod to use until we come up with something better later.

We took off the exisiting paint on the nitrous bottles yesterday night with aircraft paint remover. It is some cool stuff if you haven't ever used it before. Apply the goopy stuff on and spread it around. Let is sit for about 5 minutes and watch the paint bubble off! lol we then primered the bottles with a little sandable primer just to make the paint adhearable later. Thanks to Dan for letting me use one of his spare nitrous bottles until I get my new one in the mail!

DSCN9185.jpg

Here is my header heat shield, along with the shifter panel, and double din face. These will be painted later today when Bucky gets a chance.

DSCN9186.jpg

We trimmed the carbon panels and sanded the edges. We will be added 1 or 2 more flood coats of resin on top before sanding down and clearing them.

DSCN9176.jpg

DSCN9177.jpg

Here is the AEM Wideband. It is temporarily mounted to a chrome bezel guage holder.

DSCN9180.jpg

DSCN9181.jpg

And this morning with the carbon fiber guage pod Bucky let me borrow. I only have it held down right now with double sided 3m tape until i figure out what to do. I am trying to source a driver's side a-pillar so that i can mold my triple guage pod to it and wrap it with carbon fiber. until then this guage pod cup will do.

DSCN9182.jpg

DSCN9183.jpg

DSCN9184.jpg

Lookin good bro. Nice CF work!!! That center console is gonna be hot!!!!

I would dump the AEM gauge though, and get the new PLX. Once you see that thing you'll want it in your car now!!! The new PLX is just sick!!! 1 gauge shows you A/F, boost, water temp, oil temp, and pressure, water temp, car voltage, tachometer, speedometer, and you can choose the color of display, what kind of display you want, digital, analog, graph...you name it and you get a remote control to switch the dispalays on the fly...bro, this thing isway B_A_D!!!! It's brand new, and just came out. Costs around 500 bucks.

Lookin good bro. Nice CF work!!! That center console is gonna be hot!!!!

I would dump the AEM gauge though, and get the new PLX. Once you see that thing you'll want it in your car now!!! The new PLX is just sick!!! 1 gauge shows you A/F, boost, water temp, oil temp, and pressure, water temp, car voltage, tachometer, speedometer, and you can choose the color of display, what kind of display you want, digital, analog, graph...you name it and you get a remote control to switch the dispalays on the fly...bro, this thing isway B_A_D!!!! It's brand new, and just came out. Costs around 500 bucks.

really? i'll have to check that out! thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I also had a member pm me about how i did the initial install. well, for me it was because i also go on long road trips to shows in this car and i want to be able to use other electonic devices on the road i.e. laptop, charge phone, etc... so i got a power inverter and installed it directly to my battery through the firewall directly behind the battery location. i took off the glove box console, and fed the wires through to the inverter. while i had my dash apart for the carbon fiber trim etc... i fed the audio and video rca's to the pioneer avic d-3 which already has pre outs and ins for things like gaming systems, rear head rest monitors, and back up cameras.

i mounted the inverter here out of the way

DSCN9420.jpg

i still have some work to do. i over estimated the size of the hole i dremeled out but i will be wrapping the whole glovebox on the inside with carpet to make it a cleaner install.

you can see the big hole behind the ps2 here

DSCN9422.jpg

• 2 weeks later...