Oxygen Sensors

DanW

This is a belated post, since I did this about 6 weeks ago. Just wanted to wait and see if it fixed things. It did.

Got code 25 one day and everything ran like it usually does. Just fine. Most likely oxygen sensors.

www.lexls.com has a super article on how to change primary and seconday o2 sensors.

I took all 4 out, and replaced them with the Walker ones without plugs from www.oxygensensors.com. Again, see www.lexls.com. One of my primary sensors was shot. The other was close. The secondaries were probably fine, but they are cheap.

A few notes on the process:

Mine appeared to be original. At 198K, that's incredible.

They are not hard to get out, but the o2 socket sold at oxygensensors.com (part 25001) will not fit the OEM primaries. It is not deep enough...the OEM ones are huge. However, it is very handy for getting the Walker primaries (particularly the one behind the sterring rack) tightened back in. It fits the Walker sensors nicely.

You'll need a 7/8"or 22mm combo wrench with a nice long shank....longer is better.

Its not a hard process, but it takes a while since you don't have a lot of room to work.

Splicing the wires on the Walker ones without plugs is not big deal, adds maybe an hour to the process. Basic soldering skills really.

Hope that helps.

This is a belated post, since I did this about 6 weeks ago. Just wanted to wait and see if it fixed things. It did.

Got code 25 one day and everything ran like it usually does. Just fine. Most likely oxygen sensors.

www.lexls.com has a super article on how to change primary and seconday o2 sensors.

I took all 4 out, and replaced them with the Walker ones without plugs from www.oxygensensors.com. Again, see www.lexls.com. One of my primary sensors was shot. The other was close. The secondaries were probably fine, but they are cheap.

They are not hard to get out, but the o2 socket sold at oxygensensors.com (part 25001) will not fit the OEM primaries. It is not deep enough...the OEM ones are huge. However, it is very handy for getting the Walker primaries (particularly the one behind the sterring rack) tightened back in. It fits the Walker sensors nicely.

You'll need a 7/8"or 22mm combo wrench with a nice long shank....longer is better.

Its not a hard process, but it takes a while since you don't have a lot of room to work.

Splicing the wires on the Walker ones without plugs is not big deal, adds maybe an hour to the process. Basic soldering skills really.

Hope that helps.

DanW,

Thank you for the notes. Have you noticed any change in performance, i.e. fuel economy?

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Hope that helps.

DanW,

Thank you for the notes. Have you noticed any change in performance, i.e. fuel economy?

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Performance, no. Fuel Economy, about 1 mpg overall. Seems like mileage is less sensitive to cold weather that it was last year. Best part, that pesky CEL doesn't come on!

• 3 months later...

Hope that helps.

DanW,

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Performance, no. Fuel Economy, about 1 mpg overall. Seems like mileage is less sensitive to cold weather that it was last year. Best part, that pesky CEL doesn't come on!

Got a question. Are all the sensors the same? Or are the upstream ones different from the downstream? I have a 1997 LS 400 and I need to change all of them.

Thanks

Hope that helps.

DanW,

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Got a question. Are all the sensors the same? Or are the upstream ones different from the downstream? I have a 1997 LS 400 and I need to change all of them.

Thanks

They are different. Go to www.oxygensensors.com . I've used them several times and find them good to work with with good prices and free shipping.

Thanks a lot cmmetcalf. i'll do just that. sorry about not replying earlier; computer was down.

Hope that helps.

DanW,

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Thanks

They are different. Go to www.oxygensensors.com . I've used them several times and find them good to work with with good prices and free shipping.

I will need to change mine soon.

I heard that using non-OEM O2 sensors (particularly "universal" ones) may ruin engine electronics if the amperage is not matched.

I priced the OEM ones and they cost and un-believable $257 each! Yikes!!!

I am very curious to know if you get any codes later down the line. Hopefully not.

Please let us know how your car is doing as you build on the miles...

Thanks!!

TEAMER

I will need to change mine soon.

I heard that using non-OEM O2 sensors (particularly "universal" ones) may ruin engine electronics if the amperage is not matched.

I priced the OEM ones and they cost and un-believable $257 each! Yikes!!!

I am very curious to know if you get any codes later down the line. Hopefully not.

Please let us know how your car is doing as you build on the miles...

Thanks!!

TEAMER

It is entirely possible, actually more probable then not, that those non-OEM components come from the same factory as the OEM.

I haven't replaced many oxygen sensors, maybe three, but I can assure you I didn't pay the dealer markup, and with easily over 150,000 miles and maybe 25 years accrued aggregately and I have had no adverse results.