Air Flow Meter

bdjh

I have a simple question. is it possible that a car won`t start because of a bad mass air flow meter.

thanks

bdjh

simple answer = yes. But its not as likey as quite a few other things. How about posting some more info, car year, mileage, conditions when you have problems starting, etc. We need clues to help you out!!

I have a simple question. is it possible that a car won`t start because of a bad mass air flow meter.

thanks

bdjh

hey leadfoot i appreciate the response. the reason the question was posed that way is because. new:plugs wires, caps, rotors, convertors, o2 sensors. car has 126,000 miles 1992 ls400. was starting fine a week ago and idleing great but would bog down at 1500 to 2000 rpms and then die. now it started once ran about five seconds like crap and died. during that five seconds code 24 and 31 came up.

bdjh

during that five seconds code 24 and 31 came up.

Reading through the attached procedures it states that the system will switch to "fail safe" parameters if these faults are detected, so actually it should still run, albeit poorly. Might pay to clear the fault codes by pulling the EFI fuse for more than 10 seconds, cranking again and seeing if you get the same codes.

If thats the case then you can check the circuits using the following procedures; Definitely check the security of the connector. Don't know how good you are with a voltmeter, depending on the cost of the air flow meter it might be easier to swap it for a new one??

Good luck.

dtc24.pdf

dtc31.pdf

during that five seconds code 24 and 31 came up.

Reading through the attached procedures it states that the system will switch to "fail safe" parameters if these faults are detected, so actually it should still run, albeit poorly. Might pay to clear the fault codes by pulling the EFI fuse for more than 10 seconds, cranking again and seeing if you get the same codes.

If thats the case then you can check the circuits using the following procedures; Definitely check the security of the connector. Don't know how good you are with a voltmeter, depending on the cost of the air flow meter it might be easier to swap it for a new one??

Good luck.

Actually I do know how to check with a voltmeter. I knew about the fail safe overide. but in this case it didn`t do it. I`m going to remov e the fuse try again and check all areas to see what is going on. I really do appreciate you responding on the matter and also I have that same info for the codes. once again thanks

bdjh :cheers: