Trainnnyyy Who Would Have Thunk It.. 2000 Rx300

tgun08

my rx300 just started slippin in reverse. i bought it in may of 07 and since had to change the spark plugs and one coil sill have some a/f sensor issues and p1135 heater response malfunction. well besides that when the vehicle goes into reverse and you step on the gas the car will seem like its in nuetral for a second and then bang it kicks in, but if you sligtly touch the gas and almost coast it wont slip...... while in drive you can barely feel the vehicle shift.. it couldn't be any smoother. damn these aliens...... is the trainy gone or could it be a speed sensor?????

First is it an AWD or FWD, If AWD then check the fluid and see if it is bright red and doesnt have a burnt smell. If it is black or brown and smells burnt, then get the fluid changed or do it yourself. Make sure you use only Toyota Type IV fluid. here is a site for do it yourself.

http://home.comcast.net/~rx300how2/index.html

my rx300 just started slippin in reverse. i bought it in may of 07 and since had to change the spark plugs and one coil sill have some a/f sensor issues and p1135 heater response malfunction. well besides that when the vehicle goes into reverse and you step on the gas the car will seem like its in nuetral for a second and then bang it kicks in, but if you sligtly touch the gas and almost coast it wont slip...... while in drive you can barely feel the vehicle shift.. it couldn't be any smoother. damn these aliens...... is the trainy gone or could it be a speed sensor?????

my rx300 is awd with 137000 miles on it i live in maine 6 plus hour north of boston in all the ice snow and the ice and dirt they put on the road. the fluid smells a lil metalish but still has good color. not sure when the last flush was done or even a fluid change...... could the fluid be bad and not allowing the right amount of lube....

With that mileage I would not do a flush, I would do three drain and fills in a three week period. You would need about 15qts to do three changes. Takes about 4.3 qts per change. By the way there is a second drain plug back on the transfer case, drain that one first then the pan. Adding fluid through the dipstick fills both areas. The metal smell makes me very suspicious that is why I would not do a flush, You will loose your tranny if you do shortly there after. On a low mileage Rx yes, but not with those miles.

With that mileage I would not do a flush, I would do three drain and fills in a three week period. You would need about 15qts to do three changes. Takes about 4.3 qts per change. By the way there is a second drain plug back on the transfer case, drain that one first then the pan. Adding fluid through the dipstick fills both areas. The metal smell makes me very suspicious that is why I would not do a flush, You will loose your tranny if you do shortly there after. On a low mileage Rx yes, but not with those miles.

why would it be only in reverse that the trainy slips???? it slips less when cold and i have just about lost reverse. could it be any sensors... speed sensor?? my abs will activate when slowing down at about 2mph every time... i was told a wheel speed sensor. and in reverse my abs won't activate when in reverse on ice or snow... jus wondering if there was a connection between them?

why would it be only in reverse that the trainy slips???? it slips less when cold

In my experience with tranny failures, non-Lexus, it doesn't have to slip in all gears. I had one that failed in reverse and another that slipped in first only. Don't know why but it did.

i have a few questions...i've been reading about some sensors one being the counter gear speed sensor, input turbine speed sensor (the transmission speed sensor), and the transmission range sensor. and what about the powertrain control module. would any of these give the transmission problems? i dont beleive the screen is clogged, that would cause problems in the other gears. also i can feel the vehicle go into reverse but when the rpms are over 1000 it starts to slip. also in snow mode the reverse will slip less.... but i am in the in process of changing the fluids you sugested.