Two Complains About 2008 Is250

I was a BMW owner for a few years before owning this car, so I may be being picky but there are two things I'm not happy about and wondering if there are any adjustment I can do. I have 2008 IS250 rear-wheel drive.

1) Brakes

It's hard to explain but the brakes feel too sensitive/jerky especially at the parking lot. Say, you are trying to park and stopped at a spot but you noticed you are little off and wanted to move a little bit forward. You let your foot off the brake and let the car move a bit, and then put a foot on the brake to stop. It is often jerky(?), not smooth if you are not careful. It feels as if I pushed on a gas little too hard and stepped on the brake too sudden. Odd thing is when I test drove the 2007 model before I purchased 2008 model, I did not notice this.

Could this be just brakes being too new? Is there any adjustment they can do? Or, it's a combination of the moving forward motion after you let your foot off the brake and the actual brake's force?

Brakes in general do feel "bouncy"?, "cushy"?, (not sure how to express) but it is more obvious when parking.

2) Steering wheel

There is a big difference on how steering wheel feels on 2007 model and 2008 model. 2007 IS250 (rear wheel drive) felt SUPER light and I actually liked it. But on 2008 model, they made it more stiff... it feel much heavier.

Now, I am used to the "heavy" steering wheel w/ BMW but what I noticed is it's not just "heavy". It feels the power steering is not powered enough? Hmm.. again, it's hard to explain in a sentence. This is only noticeable at a slow speed like at a parking lot. Say you make a right turn at a parking lot and go straight after the turn. After making the right turn, I always have to turn the steering wheel back to left so I can go straight. I know you'd have to do that a little bit but with this car, I have to give more "help" as if it's a semi powered steering wheel.

Does this make sense? I know how the steering wheel feels cannot be changed but can you adjust something so that power steering really works like any other car?? Well, I'm not saying it doesn't work. I'm saying it really feels "heavy" to me as if it's a non-power steering wheel.

Did any 08 model owner notice anything like this?

My 08's brakes and steering are the same. the steering is actually improved from the 07's. The brakes just need a break in. You can get the less dust pads now on the 08 as a TSB was just released for the 08 IS. The pads are on order now for my wifes )08

I was a BMW owner for a few years before owning this car, so I may be being picky but there are two things I'm not happy about and wondering if there are any adjustment I can do. I have 2008 IS250 rear-wheel drive.

1) Brakes

It's hard to explain but the brakes feel too sensitive/jerky especially at the parking lot. Say, you are trying to park and stopped at a spot but you noticed you are little off and wanted to move a little bit forward. You let your foot off the brake and let the car move a bit, and then put a foot on the brake to stop. It is often jerky(?), not smooth if you are not careful. It feels as if I pushed on a gas little too hard and stepped on the brake too sudden. Odd thing is when I test drove the 2007 model before I purchased 2008 model, I did not notice this.

Could this be just brakes being too new? Is there any adjustment they can do? Or, it's a combination of the moving forward motion after you let your foot off the brake and the actual brake's force?

Brakes in general do feel "bouncy"?, "cushy"?, (not sure how to express) but it is more obvious when parking.

2) Steering wheel

There is a big difference on how steering wheel feels on 2007 model and 2008 model. 2007 IS250 (rear wheel drive) felt SUPER light and I actually liked it. But on 2008 model, they made it more stiff... it feel much heavier.

Now, I am used to the "heavy" steering wheel w/ BMW but what I noticed is it's not just "heavy". It feels the power steering is not powered enough? Hmm.. again, it's hard to explain in a sentence. This is only noticeable at a slow speed like at a parking lot. Say you make a right turn at a parking lot and go straight after the turn. After making the right turn, I always have to turn the steering wheel back to left so I can go straight. I know you'd have to do that a little bit but with this car, I have to give more "help" as if it's a semi powered steering wheel.

Does this make sense? I know how the steering wheel feels cannot be changed but can you adjust something so that power steering really works like any other car?? Well, I'm not saying it doesn't work. I'm saying it really feels "heavy" to me as if it's a non-power steering wheel.

Would the brake dust TSB solve the sensitivity of the brakes?

I don't think it solves but just improves it.

I had the factory original pads changed per the TSIB at 15k mi. on my '06 IS250 awd and there are two differences: 1) brake dust is less but not a significant amount (worth it though); 2) Brake feel is very slightly different as in less initial "bite". Unless you are going to drive it hard and brake it hard, you may find it easier to brake smoothly (again, worth the trouble). I waited and tolerated the brake dust issue until 15k to extend the time when I would have to replace them at my expense.

I don't think it solves but just improves it.

I had the factory original pads changed per the TSIB at 15k mi. on my '06 IS250 awd and there are two differences: 1) brake dust is less but not a significant amount (worth it though); 2) Brake feel is very slightly different as in less initial "bite". Unless you are going to drive it hard and brake it hard, you may find it easier to brake smoothly (again, worth the trouble). I waited and tolerated the brake dust issue until 15k to extend the time when I would have to replace them at my expense.

Most folks seem to report more 'iinear' braking feel from the TSIB pads so that will probably help that issue for you...

The steering as folks have mentioned was changed in 08 specifically to be -more- like BMWs because people complained it was too light.

In my opinion (which may not be worth very much) the front calipers and rotors on the IS250 are not sized correctly. The high dust, probably softer, higher friction material compensate for the lack of surface area on the pads and make them highly 'sensitive' or too 'grippy' whilst stopping at the lower speed range. I've upgraded to the low dust ceramic pads but have also changed out the front calipers for those off the IS350/GS300.

"You can get the less dust pads now on the 08 as a TSB was just released for the 08 IS." ?

Does this mean I can replace the brake pads for free?

Actually the brake dust isn't bad at all on my car. Or, maybe I just don't see it as much because the new 18" wheels are brushed look (a bit darker than other wheels.)

1) Brakes

2) Steering wheel

Yea, i just got the 08 and the problem is that the brakes need to be a little more worn so that jerking feeling will go away. And the steering wheel is meant to be a little more tight for a racing feel

In my opinion (which may not be worth very much) the front calipers and rotors on the IS250 are not sized correctly. The high dust, probably softer, higher friction material compensate for the lack of surface area on the pads and make them highly 'sensitive' or too 'grippy' whilst stopping at the lower speed range. I've upgraded to the low dust ceramic pads but have also changed out the front calipers for those off the IS350/GS300.

Interesting. There is not enough smooth surface area on the small calipers for me to put Lexus logos. I hope to increase the size of the discs and calipers, but I am unsure if they will fit on my 17" wheels. Tango, are your wheels 17's or 18's?

Does anyone know exactly what was changed in order to tighten the steering feel in the 08's? Reason I ask is because I have an 08 and recently had to have my power steering motor replaced. Ever since then, it hasn't felt the same. I'm thinking perhaps the motors in the 06 and 07's are different from the 08's, and the dealer didn't use an 08 motor?

Interesting. There is not enough smooth surface area on the small calipers for me to put Lexus logos. I hope to increase the size of the discs and calipers, but I am unsure if they will fit on my 17" wheels. Tango, are your wheels 17's or 18's?

Sorry, mine are 19". I still have my 17" but haven't tried to fit them over the 350 rotors and calipers.

• 1 month later...

I am coming out of an '03 Auid A4 and it had VERY heavy steering at low speeds. They changed it for 2005, but I felt that made it too light. My new '08 IS250 feels on the heavy side, but it's decent. I'd prefer it to be slightly lighter while parking, but that is a nitpick.

As far as brakes... this thing has an amazing amount of brakedust. The darker for '08 wheels hide it some, but it's still there in all it's dullness. I also feel there is too much travel with the pedal before anything happens, but I will likely get used to it as the car is very new to me.

If I had any real complaints, it would be the lack of roadfeel. The Audi (and BMW for that matter) let you feel the road through the steering. It's helpful when cornering briskly or even braking. The Lexus is more isolated, which is the price paid for a good ride and silence. Somewhere out there, someone has a car with the best of all worlds.