P0135 And P0420 Emmisions Help

rza36

Hey whats going on guys,

Long time CL.com member here, just recently came across this forum and realized we have some knowledgeable people here

Here is my problem. I have 1997 ES300 with 102k miles. Had a check engine light go off, code P0135 (oxygen sensor 1 bank 1), I replaced the sensor closes to the firewall before the car. Was good for about 200 miles and light came back on again. Now I have code p0135 and p0420. I know 0420 is catlayst below threshold. But why p0135 again? Is it on because p0420 is on? I know p0420 is triggered via the rear o2 sensor (post cat). Should I replace this along with the cat? I just don't wanna spend money replacing stuff that is fine in order to track down this problem. I may just install an o2 simulator on the post cat sensor to avoid heavy repair costs. Any ideas or suggestions?

• 8 months later...
Hey whats going on guys,

Long time CL.com member here, just recently came across this forum and realized we have some knowledgeable people here

Here is my problem. I have 1997 ES300 with 102k miles. Had a check engine light go off, code P0135 (oxygen sensor 1 bank 1), I replaced the sensor closes to the firewall before the car. Was good for about 200 miles and light came back on again. Now I have code p0135 and p0420. I know 0420 is catlayst below threshold. But why p0135 again? Is it on because p0420 is on? I know p0420 is triggered via the rear o2 sensor (post cat). Should I replace this along with the cat? I just don't wanna spend money replacing stuff that is fine in order to track down this problem. I may just install an o2 simulator on the post cat sensor to avoid heavy repair costs. Any ideas or suggestions?

I am in a similar situation now. I had a P0135, replaced the O2 sensor near the firewall and now I have the P0420. What did you do in your case? Did you have to replace any other O2 sensors or the cat itself?

First replace Cat and see what happen, I replaced both O2 sensors sametime. same part no. Bank 1 & 2.

I have 97 and it's very tricky which cat you put. my case guy bought from orailly (Brand start with W...)and no problems so far.

First replace Cat and see what happen, I replaced both O2 sensors sametime. same part no. Bank 1 & 2.

I have 97 and it's very tricky which cat you put. my case guy bought from orailly (Brand start with W...)and no problems so far.

I have already replaced it twice with aftermarket converters but I still get the code. Was it the Walker brand you purchased from OReilly? Was it the universal one or direct fit? Do you remember how much you paid for it?