Can You Program A 1992 Lexus Es300 Key?

Im thinking about buying this blank wireless transmitter key off of ebay for my 1992 ES300. I have a Valet key that doesnt have the button on the side to unlock and lock the doors. I'd love it if i did. I called my local lexus dealer, and even went over there, and they claimed its 225.00 for a new key, and 50.00 for programming. I think this is a rip off! Almost 300 dollars for a new key, and my car is about 16 years old. I know there are methods for programming keys for lexus but i dont know if theres one that will work for my 92, does anyone know any more info about this? Thanks

Im thinking about buying this blank wireless transmitter key off of ebay for my 1992 ES300. I have a Valet key that doesnt have the button on the side to unlock and lock the doors. I'd love it if i did. I called my local lexus dealer, and even went over there, and they claimed its 225.00 for a new key, and 50.00 for programming. I think this is a rip off! Almost 300 dollars for a new key, and my car is about 16 years old. I know there are methods for programming keys for lexus but i dont know if theres one that will work for my 92, does anyone know any more info about this? Thanks

I've previously done some searching myself for an answer to this question, just to have at my disposal should the need arise in the future. I've found some info that might help, though keep in mind, I have not tested it myself.

From what I understand, if you buy a key with the same FCC # (which is stamped on the key above the little screw) as your original key, then that key CAN be programmed by following the instructions below. The instructions were copied and pasted from this old CL thread:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73951

KEYLESS ENTRY PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS FOR MY 1996 ES300.

These instructions seem a bit complicated but I assure you that they worked for me and many others. You may have to do it a couple of times 'cause it gets a little confusing.

Sit in the drivers seat and LOCK all doors

Unlock and open the drivers door.

Using the MANUAL lock switch,on the drivers door, unlock the door 5 times

Close the door.

Open the door.

MANUALLY lock and unlock thye drivers door 5 times. If this sequence fails to work you can try the power switch.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the 'ON' position.

Turn the key to OFF and remove key.

The drivers door will now lock and unlock itselt one time.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least 1 second.

Close the drivers door.

Open the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least one second.

Close the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will lock.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will UNlock.

As I mentioned, I have not tested this myself, so I cannot confirm that it works for the 2nd gen. ES300 ('92-'96) but according to the person who posted it (he owns a 1996 ES300) it worked for him. And if it works for a 1996 model it SHOULD also work for a 1992 model.

Hope it works......let us know if it does.

• Like 1

Let me know if it works for you. I called the dealer also & they told me 230 +60! I was thinking the same thing. 16 year old car & 300 dollars, no sir, not gonna happen!

If you find a good place to buy the keys, let me know also. I've been looking & couldn't find one. thnx

Let me know if it works for you. I called the dealer also & they told me 230 +60! I was thinking the same thing. 16 year old car & 300 dollars, no sir, not gonna happen!

If you find a good place to buy the keys, let me know also. I've been looking & couldn't find one. thnx

Thanks for the response guys, the thing is..i never had a master key before. My key is just a regular cut key, no lexus badge no nothing. I really wanted the official key, but the previous owner never had it. Ugh. So i cant look at the Code on the key because i dont have the official key, so i guess i cant try it out. Unless the code is stamped somewhere else, maybe the owners manual?

Thanks for the response guys, the thing is..i never had a master key before. My key is just a regular cut key, no lexus badge no nothing. I really wanted the official key, but the previous owner never had it. Ugh. So i cant look at the Code on the key because i dont have the official key, so i guess i cant try it out. Unless the code is stamped somewhere else, maybe the owners manual?

Well that's a bummer. I guess maybe you could go to the dealership and ask them to tell you what FCC code your car uses. There must be a way to tell other than what's stamped on the key. But then they'd probably charge you $300 just to divulge the code..... :censored: LOL

• 5 months later...

I'm stuck in the same position:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=49622

I checked with the local dealer, and he said, since I don't have ANY master keys, and just the valet key, I would need to not only buy a pair of master keys, but I would also need the onboard computer reprogrammed, so two master keys and the computer get a new code: $600+

That's why I want my dear older brother to find Dad's master key!

I'm stuck in the same position:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=49622

I checked with the local dealer, and he said, since I don't have ANY master keys, and just the valet key, I would need to not only buy a pair of master keys, but I would also need the onboard computer reprogrammed, so two master keys and the computer get a new code: $600+

That's why I want my dear older brother to find Dad's master key!

I looked it up on alldata, and according to them the Key FCC# must match the ROM in the keyless entry modual. I read this as meaning that there is a part number on the ROM (probably a sticker), and possibly the FCC# also. I would suggest poping the cover off and looking for the ROM. If you get lucky, you might get the FCC and be good to go. I find it a little dissapointing that Lexus couldn't tell you the FCC just by the vin, but then they couldn't rob you for $600 to just tell you a number!

Don't bother trying the key programing procedure, Alldata says that is good for 95 and later.