Not The Usual Overheating Problem!

Hello.

I was driving yesterday and the temp gauge rose very close to the top of the gauge. I was on my way home so I just drove home. This morning, I decided to drive to work (about 6 miles) and when I was about 2 miles away from home, the needle was pegged at the very top of the gauge so I drove back home. Yes, stupid me... When I got home I could see the radiator fluid dripping on to the garage floor and white smoke from the engine bay (just a little). The reservoir was empty. My initial guess is that one of the hoses gave out.

So my questions are:

1. How much damage could I have done and how can I find out if I had blown a head gasket/warped head?

2. What is the basic procedure to diagnose the problem before taking it to a mechanic?

It's 92 ES300 with 156K and when I bought it 1.5 years ago, I did a flush and never had any problem with overheating.

Thanks!

It's a coolant leak.. . .don't think you really did any damages to your engine. check your engine oil. . no coolant mixed w/the oil = no problem

Look for the leak. If you can't find it, tell us the approximately location. . .etc. .front or back of the engine. . .etc.. .

The smoke is from burning the coolant.

Possible leaks:

water pump

hoses

radiator

Hello.

I was driving yesterday and the temp gauge rose very close to the top of the gauge. I was on my way home so I just drove home. This morning, I decided to drive to work (about 6 miles) and when I was about 2 miles away from home, the needle was pegged at the very top of the gauge so I drove back home. Yes, stupid me... When I got home I could see the radiator fluid dripping on to the garage floor and white smoke from the engine bay (just a little). The reservoir was empty. My initial guess is that one of the hoses gave out.

So my questions are:

1. How much damage could I have done and how can I find out if I had blown a head gasket/warped head?

2. What is the basic procedure to diagnose the problem before taking it to a mechanic?

It's 92 ES300 with 156K and when I bought it 1.5 years ago, I did a flush and never had any problem with overheating.

Thanks!

This sounds like either the thermostat has stuck closed, the radiator has split (been there - done that!) or, as you say, a hose may have split.

You MAY have had a head gasket rupture and the coolant went into the crankcase. (Let's hope that this did NOT happen!)

Look closely at the radiator (with a flashlight) to see if coolant is coming out of the middle of it.

As homemechanic said, check the oil to see the condition. If it looks like a foamy milkshake, you have problems. If the oil looks normal, you should be o.k.

Check the condition of the hoses for leaks/splits.