Blower Question

BigBuggie

Something I completely forgot about so far to ask.

When the HVAC blower is engaged on high it is quite loud, accompanied by a vibration, same with the medium setting only not as extreme. The low setting is silent except for an occasional ticking when the car is cold.

Anyone know what this could be?

Pete

When the HVAC blower is engaged on high it is quite loud, accompanied by a vibration, same with the medium setting only not as extreme. The low setting is silent except for an occasional ticking when the car is cold.

Anyone know what this could be?

Pete

Yup, if its not some loose debris that has gotten in there somehow (have you got kids??) then it could be from the factory. Here is a bit from my users manual new features list;

1998 MY LS400 — NEW FEATURES - AIR CONDITIONING

1. Description

The following items have been changed in the ’98 LS400.

blah blah blah

Flex fins have been adopted in the center vent to reduce the noise that is created by the airflow.

I wonder if you are not alone in this and they rectified in later years?

Thanks for the info bud, But I mean it is loud! As in you can feel the vibs in your seat. No way it shipped from the factory like this. So Ive been running it on low and med, just so I can speak to anyone els in the vehicle in a normal tone. I wonder whats causing it, I checked for debris today, I didnt see anything, Need to find out how to get into that system.

Pete

I get the same regardless of a/c status. Made a discovery today though. The noise is coming from the area beneath the glovebox. If I get in there and apply pressure to this area it changes the noise a bit, Almost sounds like something is in there disrupting the air flow, On low it ticks and med/high there is enough pressure to cause a vibration. Hmmm but selecting the dash vents only should stop the noise, Which it does not......?

Pete

Does it change at all when you select different air flow vents and are you getting full flow? If so, then then there's no serious obstruction that would cause the vibration. My guess would be either the fan housing is not secure or the bearings are shot.

• 1 month later...