Paint Scratches

enigmata

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I was hoping I could get some feedback. I recently sustained paint scratches to the rear bumper of my 1994 LS 400. I was wondering what's the best way to approach this - do it myself, take it to a shop, or have repainting done. I've attached a photo below. Thanks!

scratch1.jpg

Get some touch-up paint, fill them in, wet sand it, compound it, polish it, wax it.

It won't be 100% but it will look a LOT better than it does!!!

If you want to shell out the cash take it to a shop and have them do it!

yeah, the problem your gonna have there doing it yourself is that proffessionals use special mixtures for plastic applications which keeps the piant and claercoat more plyable. If you just wet sand it and try to paint that it's gonna be crap. And will just chip and flake off in a year. Paint blending is an art also. A 94 will definately have faded some from the original paint code. take it to a pro and have them do it. For that it shouldn't be to over the top in cost. maybe 2-350 at most. As they will probably hit the whole bumper to blend the color good.

I would definately recommend that! but if you're more concerned about cost just fill them in then they won't be noticeable at first glance!

I forgot about the plastic part! hahaha oops! :blush:

thanks for all of the responses! yeah, i think i will have it done professionally because I touched up the side panel (in front of the left rear wheel) a year ago and the paint has now reverted to a different color. on the other hand, since the pros will do the whole bumper, i could just wait... haha, decisions.

What color is your vehicle? I'll guess black..

If it's black maybe just get the whole bottom half color matched to the top.

I love LS's when they are totally black with black windows! They look so mean!

They should have a little thing at your local auto parts store called a ding doctor or something...

I've never used one or known anybody that used one, but that's the only thing that would come to mind.

Anyone have any good recommendations for removal of dings, Ive never been to a dent wizard before, None of the paints is cracked or chiped, Just these annoying little dings, Thanks

Pete

Yeah man, you gotta have a guy! LOL!!!!

I use a place here in Florida, his name is Vinnie. And he loves cars. I bring him mine and he does his thing and 20 minutes later the dings are gone and the car looks perfect!!!!! The Volvo and the Nissan take a beating at the grocery store. He charges me like 50 bucks. And he does a great job!!. Some of those ding removal companies will even come to you and do it while your at work in the parking lot. Vinnie comes by the shop and does it here for me. So call around. Talk to a few paople and go with the one you feel good about.