Afs Off Lights Flashing

scottmcc

That is strange the sensor didn't fix it when it was obviously broken. Maybe its the ECU that controls it or the other sensor. Let us know what it was so we have other failure scenarios covered here for others...

Well, I got the much dreaded call around lunch today. Service writer said after a 2 hour and $200 diagnostic computer test it showed that the steering position sensor was causing the problem. She said the part was "around $300" and wanted my permission to continue. She said the labor would be $280 including the diagnostic test. I made sure that they were 100% confident that this was this and they didnt sound too sure.

I sure hope that fixes it. I will let everyone know tomorrow just incase this comes up again. I have searched for a "steering position sensor" for the LS430 and I cannot find it anywhere so I sure hope that tech knows his stuff. Luckily my rear sensor was locked up and broken so I didnt waste money on the part.

post-88814-1260335529_thumb.jpg

Well there is a steering sensor that acts as an input to the AFS ECU so its a real possibility. Are you sitting down? List price for the part if $478 so hopefully your dealer discounts a bit.

post-88814-1260335529_thumb.jpg

Well there is a steering sensor that acts as an input to the AFS ECU so its a real possibility. Are you sitting down? List price for the part if $478 so hopefully your dealer discounts a bit.

Man you should be a Lexus mechanic yourself!

I got the car back and they said the steering sensor had a short in it so it was replaced. I was charged $336 for the part. The light is off and it is fixed so I cant complain too bad. I was charged a $200 diagnostic fee (which I very seriously doubt was done). I asked the mechanic if that problem is common and he said not as common as the ride height sensors but fairly common. If it is "fairly common" why wouldnt you just put a meter on those parts that are know to have problems instead of running a $200 test?? Like I said before, it is fixed now so hopefully this being figured out will save someone else some money.

Glad to hear it is sorted out. A bit pricey but I know how annoying that AFS light can be. I find some of these features a tad frivolous (add to the list auto folding mirrors, mirrors that point down in reverse, power sun shade on rear window) and when they need repair it makes you wonder if they are worth it. More features=more potential repairs. It is a luxury car, too bad it keeps reminding us over and over....

post-88814-1246891519_thumb.png

Not really a resistance wattage issue. Its a variable resistor much like a volume or balance control in an old radio. I have seen other posts saying you could just replace the ride height sensor with two store bought resistors to simulate a reading but it wouldn't react for changed in height of the axle created by empty or full fuel tank and or trunk.

If you wanted to try a band aide fix you could use two 560 Ohm 1/4watt resistors. Connect them in series on to the voltage feed for the sensor the other end for the ground. The center point of the resistors for the wiper or output side of the sensor. This would simulate the ride height sensor at 1/2 way through its travel. I don't really recommend this but if you don't want to drop $270 at www.parts.com then this is your option. Diagram attached shows you how to wire it up.

I ended up pulling the fuse for the Leveling . The fuse is located in the passenger side fuse box.

No more Warning "Headlight Leveling" Light!

I ended up pulling the fuse for the Leveling . The fuse is located in the passenger side fuse box.

No more Warning "Headlight Leveling" Light!

This is a bad idea. If your disable the system completely your headlights will aim downwards much below the intended sightline/aiming point. As a result the road will be poorly lit especially at highway speeds. I wouldn't recommend this suggestion unless you like driving in the dark and have no need to see much of anything.

• 6 months later...

Well guys i know im kinda late to this thread but im having the same problem you guys had except my AFS does not blink when i start the car or anytime during a drive. Yes the lights do go down, up then back down once started and i have to drive around with the lights pointed downward(annoying as hell). I did check out the rear sensor and try to adjust it by loosening the nut that on the axle side but the lights did not move at all. I did notice that the holding bracket was broken and the two little screws that holds the sensor on that bracket were loose. This form gave me some valuable info i needed to go forward with. I guess the next step is to buy and replace the sensor my self. Wonder why this did not throw the AFS light tho? Im very curious.

Sounds like my problem. Sensor bearing seized up causing arm to break. I'd try a new sensor if you find it won't rotate smoothly around its axis. Try an online place to buy part, dealer will kill you. www.parts.com has fair pricing.

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

I had very high beam lights on my 07 ES350, but there was no AFS flashing. Took the car to a non- lexus w/shop. they adjusted the head light beams manually from the adjustment on the h/ lights itself. After that the AFS light started to flash. I'll check the height sensor tomorrow to find out the status.

Thanx for the info. guide lines.