Mileage

cali-love06

I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice. I have an '04 IS300 sport design automatic with just under 79,000 miles on it. Its had only one owner before me and is in perfect condition in every other way. My question is: should i startperformance moddson it even with the high mileage, and if so what problems have others run into with that type of mileage on this vehicle? Also, what parts might need replaced first internally as time goes by in your opinion? Thanks for all the help!

Sure. Lots of people wait at least till the warranty runs out before the start with serious mods. Of course you want to do things right with quality stuff, no shade tree jobs.

Whad do you have in mind?

:mellow:

Well i am fairly new to tuning vehicles and still learning about how everything works together, but i do want to put an intake and exhaust on first, although i cant decide between a short ram or a cold air intake. Ive heard good things about both but cant decide which would be the better investment. after that ive been told to maybe replace the header, and then start looking to chip the car. Someone mentioned something about replacing my LSD? Any ideas...? Thanks for the help man

The JoeZ intake tube with a drop in (fits in the stock airbox) Blitz or K&N filter is the best buy for the money I think. I had one on my IS300 and have one on my IS350. The good thing about it is that there are bona fide hp gains and you don't have to relocate the MAF or worry about heat shields etc. There really aren't any CAI's for the IS and the stock intake already has a snorkel up to the hood lip area so it's already kinda cold air. You can do the whole JoeZ and filter for less than $200.

I'm not partial to aftermarket exhausts but there are plenty to choose from. It all ends up being a choice as to whether you want quiet or loud. There are lots of video clips on YouTube. You could get an idea of what sounds good to you on there.

LSD? You mean limited slip differential? At this point I don't think you need to worry about that. Your car may already have it.

well, in a turbo applicaton, stock isn't an option. 2 1/4 piping just doesn't flow enouph. So I went with a 3'' custom exhaust and the Tenabe Medallion Hyper race exhaust with a custom 3'' inlet. Compared to Just IS, Blue Lex, Baadhabit, and GoldIS, they didn't even know I had a turbo on it until they looked for the intercooler and I popped the hood. I have to say, if stock is a 2 on a scale of 1-10, and most aftermarket exhausts are around a 7, I would put mine at a 3 and a half, maaaaaaybe 4. :)

Someone mentioned something about replacing my LSD? Any ideas...? Thanks for the help man

??????

The only thing I have ever heard was to get an LSD. Not get rid of it.

That's why they call me the silent creeper.

HHmm, I allways imagined Bartkat as this pudgy house cat, King of the living room, stalking the hallways, prowling through the house plants ever ready for the attack! LOL!!!

Thanks for all the input guys i really appreciate it. Yeah the LSD thing really got me confused i am glad i asked. The JoeZ and K &N intake... can you recommend some places to purchase those or can you reach them through this forum? I was also thinking about leaving on the stock exhaust, i really hate that high pitch whine that comes with many exhausts. What do you think as far as boosting the car or what mods to make after the intake? Again thanks

Thanks for all the input guys i really appreciate it. Yeah the LSD thing really got me confused i am glad i asked. The JoeZ and K &N intake... can you recommend some places to purchase those or can you reach them through this forum? I was also thinking about leaving on the stock exhaust, i really hate that high pitch whine that comes with many exhausts. What do you think as far as boosting the car or what mods to make after the intake? Again thanks

I contacted JoeZ this this evening and he says you can order through.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/index.php

They may have Blitz or K&N filters too.

Im hearing alot also about an SRT intake possibly being able to add 25-30 horsepower. I have found an aem and injen version of this and was wondering what your thoughts on this would be?

The SRT comes with a piggyback ECU that has to wired into the car's ECU by soldering. That's the "secret" to this intake's extra power gains. Other intakes may look similar but I don't believe any of them have the electronics.

Im sure i could find a shop that would be able to do the electrical stuff for me if i was unable to do it, which i think i am not having had much experience in this area. Do you have any reccomendations on a certain turbo kit or anything else i would be able to purchase in order to gain some more substantial horsepower? I plan on buying my intake to day and upgrading the exhaust within the next 2-3 months.

That forum was a lot of help. it answered a great deal of questions... i cant believe i didnt see it i was looking for something along that topic earlier. I figure i will get the intake until i cant save up for the turbo, and get some of the other mods to help boost the vehicle in the mean time. what do you think some reasonable eventual power figures could be for my car.

welcome to the LOC! :) I'm new to all the car tuning stuff too, but I'll try and chime in.

with the stock tranny you could easily get 350-400 I think. Smooth is the expert in this area - he's beentheredonethat. It really depends on the tuning. And as far as exhausts making your car sound whiney/ricey, I don't think you'll find that problem with the IS, the 6 cylinders sound a lot beefier than a civic's 4 - but it depends on your definition of "whiney" so I'd check out all the videos on youtube first.

I have the JoeZ intake pipe and a Blitz drop in filter than I clean out every now and then to keep the air moving smoothly, and I'd say this is definitely the most bang for the buck upgrade. The SRT is pretty sweet, but I think it's overhyped. The JoeZ is simple and works with the stock air system already in place. And if you're planning on going turbo in the near future, don't bother with anything intake-wise, the turbo will replace it.

Yeah i definetely dont want a ricey sound and i think that i might be going for the tanabe touring system. Its got a great low tone and looks nice from the rear of the car ( thanks youtube). Is your car turboed right now ocean and if so can you suggest any good kits?